I have a suggestion

twyztyr

Gawd
I searched, but couldn't find anything regarding this, so forgive me if it's a repost.

It would make sense to me to install an IT Professional forum, or at least as a subforum in the Networking/Security forum. The idea would be to provide a repository for people seeking career advice and whatnot and would keep that kind of thing separate from actual technical questions about networking and security.

Might be I'm talking out my ass, but it makes some kind of sense to me.

Sounds good to me. Tough to find a good job, even tougher to find one you actually like. Any way we could help each other would be...well....helpful.

i think this is a good idea. for people starting out in various forms of consulting (in home pc repair/building pc's/designing webpages.....) it might be nice to get an idea of labor rates and contracts that others have drafted up. i think alot of us are interested in this certainly at least as a side business if not our main job

I've thought about something like this before.

Possibly ways to separate your common "user" problem and "Enterprise" problem, but haven't truly figured out a solution to suggest.

I think you can only break down the forums "so much" before it's like going through a phone support "press 1 if" scenario.

I generally just begin any threads pertinent to the Enterprise I support by stating so in the beginning of it. This generally keeps the mindset of "think bigger" to people who respond to the question at hand.

edit: (Sorry now I see I may have taken what you said the wrong way.)

Grimmda said:
I've thought about something like this before.

Possibly ways to separate your common "user" problem and "Enterprise" problem, but haven't truly figured out a solution to suggest.

I think you can only break down the forums "so much" before it's like going through a phone support "press 1 if" scenario.

I generally just begin any threads pertinent to the Enterprise I support by stating so in the beginning of it. This generally keeps the mindset of "think bigger" to people who respond to the question at hand.

edit: (Sorry now I see I may have taken what you said the wrong way.)

Yeah, I meant something like questions for those seeking employment, advice, (human) networking, that kind of thing, and keep the main forum for actual technical problems. We have a lot of students here that might benefit from something like that. I guess it'd be kind of an expansion on the "IT Resume Thread".

This idea has been suggested before, but if I recall correctly it was shot down mainly because we are a hardware forum, not an employment agency. The problems that could arise from the possible indemnification is a legal hassle that the [H] doesn't need, now or in the future.

Back