I have a Creative DTS-610

No, and I have a mystique, so I know what you are talking about Donnie.

No dropped sounds in Windows either.

Iz. :D

I just got it this morning. Have been playing Fear and Serious Sam2. Sounds good.

I'm not a particular audiophile. I'm using a yamaha 5.1 receiver and an X-fi soundcard.

What else you want to know?

Izord said:
No, and I have a mystique, so I know what you are talking about Donnie.

No dropped sounds in Windows either.

Iz. :D

SAWEEEEETT! So where did you get it and what was the final cost?

Donnie27

I got the link to creative's site from this forum a few days ago when someone posted the link. Look back a page or two. I ordered it right away, and it was actually delivered yesterday, but I was working all afternoon and night, so I couldn't pick it up till today.

It's an attractive unit, quite slim.

Delivered to me via 2nd day air. Including tax, $119.71.

Mr. X, You are way over my head with that. It sounds good to my untrained ear. Realize that I was in the artillery for 4 years. hehe.

And it doesn't have the latency and dropped sounds that the Mystique has, which was very irritating.

So here's my review ranking: Pros: It works
Cons: $119.71

Final score 8.5/10 So buy it because you know you want it and you will buy it sooner or later anyway, so just go ahead and buy it now. :D

Tested the DTS-610 on Quake4 for an hour. It sounds pretty good.

It sounded "Warm" and "Biting" and "Realistic". The Quake Shotgun sounded REALLY good on it. And the Strogg sounded very Realistic, Just like Strogg in real life.

By the way, this thread may be the first Review of the Creative DTS-610 on the InterWeb. You are part of history.

:p

Creative uses some really good DTS filters in the DTS algorithm they use for encoding DTS on the DTS-610. They used some Calculus and Fourrier Transforms to make them. It sounds almost hyperdimensional.

By far the best implementation of DTS encoding from a EAS soundcard to a DTS receiver.

Four thumbs up! :cool:

so does it really sound better than just running analog into your receiver? can we make certain that its not the placebo effect?

It sounds Much better than analog in connection between my soundcard and my receiver, and I know why, at least a lot of why.

In order to connect my soundcard to my receiver, which is about 5 meters away, and around 2 corners, I use one long RCA cable for the digital connection. Before I had the DTS-610, I was only able to get 2 channel, or perhaps 2.1 channel, because that's what's my X-Fi would output through the SPDIF output, digital. When I used my Mystique card, I could get 5.1 channels, but the latency and dropped sounds were a big problem.

So That's how I connect my soundcard to my receiver, one long (about 25 foot) RCA cable.

Now in order to connect my soundcard to my receiver with analog connection would require, I think six? Long RCA cables. And for a couple of reasons I haven't connected it this way. For one I don't want to purchase 5 more long cables. That would probably more than equal the cost of a DTS-610 unit for 5 decent cables. Another reason I don't connect it this way is that the physical bulk of that many long cables would interfere with my space, my karma, my chakras, and my feng-shui. Got that?

OK, so when I (don't) connect my sound card to my receiver using analog connections, I hear absolutely nothing! Nada, Zip, Giltch. Nothing. The sound of one hand Clapping.

Following me? OK, So on the one hand when I connect my soundcard to my receiver with the one RCA cable providing a digital 5.1 input to my Receiver I get GOOD sound in all my games so far. When I (don't) connect my Soundcard to my Receiver using an analog connection I get absolutely no sound whatsoever.

So The Win is DTS-610 over analog connection for sound quality (and quantity)

By the way, this is my first review. Izord

Izord said:
Now in order to connect my soundcard to my receiver with analog connection would require, I think six? Long RCA cables. And for a couple of reasons I haven't connected it this way. For one I don't want to purchase 5 more long cables. That would probably more than equal the cost of a DTS-610 unit for 5 decent cables. Another reason I don't connect it this way is that the physical bulk of that many long cables would interfere with my space, my karma, my chakras, and my feng-shui.

so basically u are saying its better because you have true 5.1 in games and u only have to use 1 cable.

but how about using the dts-610 compared to running 6 seperate rca cables into ur receiver? does the 610 sound better?

my question is does it sound better and not how it simplifies ur wiring

Xeero my answer to your question was a tongue-in-cheek way of saying I'm too lazy/cheap to care about the analog connection to try actually try it, when the digital connection works Great.

This is the future remember?

Or do you buy $600 walnut knobs for your $60,000 amplifier?

Honestly, I doubt that the DTS-610 could possibly sound Better than the Analog, since it contains an analog connection already. But for those of us who don't want to run analog all the way to the receiver it's a god-send. :cool:

ah ic.... so we pay $100 for simplifying wires and better bass management?

i guess that is worth it to some people

Try to find me 5 more decent 25foot RCA cables for less than the cost of the DTS. :cool:
I know you can probably do it.

Izord said:
Try to find me 5 more decent 25foot RCA cables for less than the cost of the DTS. :cool:
I know you can probably do it.

Good Info and thank you very much for taking the time to post it. It's also about phucking time some told the truth about Half Done Audio-Mistake LOL!

Another bud was warned about Latency/Dropped and or Missing sounds but he was convinced more prowerful Processor would solve the problem. Nope, didn't help.

I still like the Analog out and I got some Big-assed shielded RCA cables. It's nice to know DTS 610 Works because some receivers don't have the Analog inputs. Again, thanks! BTW, I taded something I got free for those Cables. (worth about $150 at the time).

Donnie27

Thanks for the "review"

I think you are right and this is the first on the web anywhere! so congrats!

Damn and I who just spent a fortune on some DT 770 PRO with Amp and everything. Have some digitheatre platinum which have been useless for gaming since nVidia refuse to deliver their soundstorm and Creative is so god damn dumb they don´t include it in their soundcards.

That is a perfect reason for me not to give Creative any more money really. They should have it on their soundcards already even though there is a license fee to Dolby...

But I really shouldn´t use my speakers for gaming anyway. I like to game for hours and my neighbours would really hate me I feel with to much F.E.A.R, GTL and GTR running :D. Especially GTL I feel would make them hire a hitman.

Back