I have a confession to make regarding my Wi-Fi

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
As an aspiring network security professional and general IT person I have a confession to make.

Since i moved into my apartment over two years ago I have been extremely lazy. So lazy that i used the default wireless setting on my Verizon FIOS Actiontec router. Default SSID, default WEP with the WEP key that comes on the side of the router, and default login to the router.:eek:

I just finally got around to fixing this with the $20 E2000 refurb deal from Amazon and dd-wrt and a new pfSense box. I ditched the Verizon crap altogether and my wireless settings now use WPA-PERSONAL with a 32 character key.

233Jh.jpg

ahXt1.jpg

4C0zE.jpg

BTBwQ.jpg

Last edited:
Aren't the E2000's known for getting hot or was that just the E3000's? You might not want to set the router on that computer if the computer is letting any heat out the top up into the router.

Also if somebody on the forum knows what city you live in they could just wardrive around to find you.

How do you ditch the crappy Actiontec? I thought you had to have it, to run the TV boxes...

How do you ditch the crappy Actiontec? I thought you had to have it, to run the TV boxes...

If you have a cat5 run from the ONT, then you can just put the actiontec behind your border router.

If you have coax, then you need two actiontecs. One of them is bridged, going into the wan port of the router. The other serves as a moca bridge for the TVs.

I'm surprised given all the smart people in this forum that you'd run default out of the box, count yourself lucky that nothing serious has happened to your network. I'm also running a pair of E2000's with DD-WRT after having previously running two WRT54GS's (rock solid) and then DIR-615's. I agree with the assessment that the E2000's run hot and one suggestion to resolve that issue was to elevate the device by replacing the stock rubber feet at the bottom of the device with something much bigger.

If you only have the FIOS internet than you don't need the Coax cable or the router. You just call Verizon FIOS support and ask them to turn on the RJ-45 jack in your ONT (Optical Network Terminal) then run a Cat-5 from that to your router or whatever.

might be a noob question, but whats the point of having pfsense if you have a router already?

Thanks!

you see, that is what I love about this forum, though I did have to ask twice, I got a link to an executive summary rather than having to sift through mountains of imperfect google results to bring myself up to speed...awesome!

i see blue duct tape. you sir, are already a master engineer. they don't teach the finer points of duct tape in networking until after you pass the CCIE hands on labs.

impressive.

i see blue duct tape. you sir, are already a master engineer. they don't teach the finer points of duct tape in networking until after you pass the CCIE hands on labs.

impressive.

That I just to cover the bright blue led for when I sleep at night. I am too lazy to open it back up and take care if it properly lol.

O yea? Prove it
B4-99-BA-E5-B8-D0

I'm going out on a limb here, but here's what I could find.

You live in the Dallas area, drive a black MK4 Jetta auto, live in a rental property (my guess is downtown Plano but I'm probably wrong), use a Samsung Captivate phone, plus iPad and nook, and recently traveled to Italy for your honeymoon.

If I'm wrong, then don't respond. If I'm right then don't respond and feel free to PM me.

And no I couldn't find crap with that bssid.

I keep hearing about this pfSense...what is it?

Its like having a ferrari for firewalls/routers, while at the same time having a Focus for a UTM.

<3 pfsense

On topic.... my SSID is still dd-wrt, and its been open. I too am lazy and need to set this up. I've yet to see any goofy DHCP leases of PC's I dont recognize though.

Its like having a ferrari for firewalls/routers, while at the same time having a Focus for a UTM.

<3 pfsense

On topic.... my SSID is still dd-wrt, and its been open. I too am lazy and need to set this up. I've yet to see any goofy DHCP leases of PC's I dont recognize though.

How do you know they are not using DHCP?

I dont use a typical ip scheme at home. Its goofy. If they were to connect with a static they'd get nowhere.

might be a noob question, but whats the point of having pfsense if you have a router already?

Tis not a noob question......I've been a long time running of lots of different *nix distros...including, up until recently, PFSense. They would run circles around any home grade router.

But I recently picked up an e3000 router....I'm actually running that by itself...as my router and AP. Freaking fast, very high max current connections count....I can have 3 or 4 laptops all on it at the same time wirelessly streaming videos. Rock solid.

Really the only reason for me to keep running pfsense is bragging rights.

Back