I have a Cisco Catalyst 3524-XL 24-Port Switch for free; but, is it broken?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
I got a Cisco Catalyst 3524-XL switch for free. It's got 24 ports and the model or product number is WS-C3524-XL-EN.

However... it seems that the the system locks on startup. The RPS button stays lit up a bright orange color. All of the port lights light up orange and stay orange. I can't seem to console into the switch. Any ideas???

have you tried leaveing it for a few minutes?

Last cisco switch i used took a few minutes to boot up properly

I assume you've checked the console port for output or errors? You should get console output more-or-less immediately when the switch boots. If not, then either the switch is fubar'ed, or someone messed with the console output settings (baud, etc).

Fint said:
I assume you've checked the console port for output or errors? You should get console output more-or-less immediately when the switch boots. If not, then either the switch is fubar'ed, or someone messed with the console output settings (baud, etc).

I'm guessing the switch is gone FUBAR... I don't think the baud or anything like that has been messed around with... and, not that I'm an expert at Cisco, but I know a little bit and this is wayyyyyyy more screwed up than I ever saw...

Best guess is that someone either messed with the console port settings or its toast. Try consoling in with differet baud rates. Sometimes using a slower rate will mitigate errors and allow you in so you can change it. 9600 baud is usually the fastest rate Cisco devices are capable of, so work down from there.

BobSutan said:
Best guess is that someone either messed with the console port settings or its toast. Try consoling in with differet baud rates. Sometimes using a slower rate will mitigate errors and allow you in so you can change it. 9600 baud is usually the fastest rate Cisco devices are capable of, so work down from there.

Anything semi-recent can do 115K. A 3524 should have no problem with it. Usually if the baud rate is wrong you'll at least see garbage. When a 35xx boots the ports will show orange..but eventually should go out.

Hmm.. I didn't know they went so high. When did they change that?

Its been that way for a couple years at least I believe, although they do all still default to 9600. There are a number of speed options for the console port in rommon, which is nice if you have to push an IOS over the console port via xmodem (9600 takes like 6.5 hours :( )

Back