I hate spyware, adware, and viruses

Hollow4

Limp Gawd
I have had it with them all. after 7 clean installs and no success at getting rid of any of the numerous viruses and spywares on my comp im about to throw it out the window.

Heres the story. all was working well. comp, a 5 year old lappy with win xp was doing all i needed it to do, load pics to my external and update my ipod, which is acting up too, but then yesterday it just didnt want to work anymore, i noticed my proc was running a 100 % all the time i was like wtf, so i start digging, find a worm, start getting rid of it to find spy ware. im life f this and reformatt and start over. i kidd you not nothing hooked up to my comp and this stupid program power scan is loaded into my windows im like wtf. no modem, no ethernet, no hd so how did it get there, no fing clue, 6 more full formatts later and its still there. now im in the process of dling norton and spybot to get rid of these fing things.

i hate malware

Ryan

it wouldnt be so bad if i werent out of the usa at the moment, but i am and have none of my disk with me so its kina a pain in da butt

why do people do it, is it boredom or what??
may they all got to hell and burn there

Ryan

lol.. I don't know anyone who says "I loooooove spyware, adware, and viruses"
Other than the n00bs on the newer AOL commercials... :rolleyes:

Run these programs to help out if you already don't run them...
1. AVG Free Antivirus (set to do complete scan vs. only infectable files)
2. HiJackThis
3. CWShredder
4. Ad-Aware
5. Spybot Search & Destroy
6. Microsoft Anti-Spyware
7. CCleaner

Also if you find out what the process name is that is running 100% CPU usage.. post the name of the file process/file here. Might be able to help you resolve the problem.

in my like ten years of cleaning out comps this is the worst i have ever seen and im ashamed to admit its my own. there are 20 different infections running around on this bitch. no worries im erradicating them one by one. but i need to stop fooling with that and write a paper. stupid 9 am class.

ill keep you all updated. i think im down to nine of twenty thats like 55% cleaner

I can't stress this enough.

Disconnect the network cable and do your work in safe mode. If you got any specifics Qs, fire away. Good Luck. :)

I have had it with them all. after 7 clean installs and no success at getting rid of any of the numerous viruses and spywares on my comp im about to throw it out the window

Throw out Windows instead. Spyware, adware, and most virues have no teeth in Linux. Once you get over the learning curve (quite low on newbie friendly dists. like Mandrake), you should have little troubles with using Linux for most everything (except certain Windows-only games).

Get Firefox. It's a no-brainer. Don't use IE, OE or WMP. I get zero spyware, and I go where others fear to tread.

Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer.

No one else wants to mention that if you actually did a full format of the drive the stuff could not have carried over. unless you reinstalled something or possibly using very strange windows xp install disk.

Two words: Plug Files!

Basically - you boot to Bart's PE, safemode, or something of that sort and rename or delete the file. Create a blank file with the same name and give only yourself rights. Had a co-worker tell me about this and I was like - man what a good idea for those new or hard-to-remove pieces of spyware.

Lowbatt said:
No one else wants to mention that if you actually did a full format of the drive the stuff could not have carried over. unless you reinstalled something or possibly using very strange windows xp install disk.

Yes and no.

Formatting carries a danger, unpatched code. When you install, and your on an unprotected network, you can get worms (and possibly spyware using worm-like exploits) within seconds.

Yes, you get rid of every virus/spyware on the machine when you format, but you also leave yourself vulnerable. This is why I strongly recommend creating slipstreamed SP2 install disks out of the old XPGold (original) CDs. Otherwise you *have* to disconnect the cable (at least on the uplink) until you patch.

This is why I asked him to do the work off the network.

I agree with Phoenix86, create your slipstreamed copy of XP with SP2, before reinstalling, unplug your ethernet and perform a zerofill of your hard disk, so if your mbr is infected the zerofill process will clean it :D

good luck

0ldMX

XP Unattended CD with SP2 & updates slipstreamed, autoinstall Kaspersky & Kerio, use Firefox with Adblock.

None of the above nusiances, ever again.

FunkStar said:
Answer to problem = Use Linux

Slightly more expensive answer = Use a Mac
Give me a break. The answer to your problem isn't to use Linux or anything else. The answer is STOP GOING TO STUPID WEB SITES AND CLICKING ON THINGS THAT POP UP. LET ME REPEAT MYSELF:

STOP GOING TO STUPID WEBSITES AND CLICKING ON THINGS THAT POP UP. While you are at it: STOP DOWNLOADING GHEY "FREE" programs like SCrEENsAVERS, ETC. ETC. IGNORE anything that pops up while you are online.

People at work that get spyware:
1. Stupid people who surf the web.
2. people who surf too much and click on pop ups, and download screensavers.
3. People who load P2P software sharing programs

People at work who DON'T GET SPYWARE:
1. stupid people who never surf the web (except maybe cnn.com or ebay.com)
2. people who surf only work related websites
3. people who LISTEN to me when I say "stop clicking on popups and ads. and don't ever install anything from the web no matter what it claims"

seanmcd said:
Give me a break. The answer to your problem isn't to use Linux or anything else. The answer is STOP GOING TO STUPID WEB SITES AND CLICKING ON THINGS THAT POP UP. LET ME REPEAT MYSELF:

STOP GOING TO STUPID WEBSITES AND CLICKING ON THINGS THAT POP UP. While you are at it: STOP DOWNLOADING GHEY "FREE" programs like SCrEENsAVERS, ETC. ETC. IGNORE anything that pops up while you are online.

People at work that get spyware:
1. Stupid people who surf the web.
2. people who surf too much and click on pop ups, and download screensavers.
3. People who load P2P software sharing programs

People at work who DON'T GET SPYWARE:
1. stupid people who never surf the web (except maybe cnn.com or ebay.com)
2. people who surf only work related websites
3. people who LISTEN to me when I say "stop clicking on popups and ads. and don't ever install anything from the web no matter what it claims"
Amen to this one.

First off, why get so stressed out? They aren't very hard at all the clean and remove.
Secondly, it's your own habits that's causing it all to come back. Update your system, run protection software, and use common sense, and it won't be a problem. Seriously...it's not that hard to protect yourself, and if one piece of malware gets through, you remove it.....why get all worked up about it?

ashmedai said:
XP Unattended CD with SP2 & updates slipstreamed, autoupdates autoinstall Kaspersky & Kerio, use Firefox with Adblock.

Fixed. ;)

wow so many responses. First things first i dont click on pop ups, nor do i use p2p software. actually this computer hasnt been touched in 4 months because i have been traveling and it wasnt until my brother was doing some clean up on it and just randomly clicked by accident on a popup. so that settles that. the reason that i was still getting viruses after i formated was there was lingering code that hanging around. i dont know how or why but powerscan would be there after i formatted. so after some diggin and erradication. i put in a version of dos and found the files taht were pissing me off and got rid of them. so now i reformatted again and everything is gone. yea for me

thanks and dont get pissy, i just made this thread out of pure annoyance. i knew what i had to do all along, though i was greatful to find out about a few other utilities that i had never heard about. again dont tell me what i should or shouldnt do in my surfing habits. thats for me to decide not you. and anyways im getting attacked through my ports. as it just happened

ashmedai said:
XP Unattended CD with SP2 & updates slipstreamed, autoinstall Kaspersky & Kerio, use Firefox with Adblock.

"Fixed" is true.

i think i will. i finally got my windows updated without many problems. now to get firefox.

thanks
Ryan

Back