I hate my auzentech... what can i replace it with?

SupaMan

Man of Silicon
I bought an X-plosion a month ago so i could use DTS Connect. Besides the seriously disappointing lack of Vista x64 drivers, it also doesn't sound any better than my onboard sound. I basically bought it so i could have surround sound in BF2142... but it doesn't even come close to providing any sort of surround. I'll set of detpacks behind me and hear it about 90% out the front speakers... it doesn't sound one bit better than PCM + Pro-Logic II.

So anyway, I'm liking the idea of an external box that could convert 5.1 analog signal from my onboard card into DTS signal for my receiver... does something exist? Is there anyway to to feed my home theater system actual surround sound?

DTS connect is such a sham... wasted $80.

I basically bought it so i could have surround sound in BF2142... but it doesn't even come close to providing any sort of surround. I'll set of detpacks behind me and hear it about 90% out the front speakers... it doesn't sound one bit better than PCM + Pro-Logic II.
Sounds like a configuration problem. DTSC feeds off the channel mixes, so it should be working correctly. It appears you've done something wrong.

You do understand that for the most part your sound quality when using digital is limited to the quality of the Digital input circuitry of the receiver?
So if your using digital for your onboard and digital for the X-Plosion this would be why the quality is similar.
If your having issues with sound incorrectly placed it would definatley be a setup issue of some sort.

You do understand that for the most part your sound quality when using digital is limited to the quality of the Digital input circuitry of the receiver?

sound quality isnt much of an issue for me... i can't really tell between onboard and a really nice card as far as clarity and all that shit. I just want to have discrete channels. That said... the sound it does make sounds really good.

phide, I'm pretty sure it's set up properly... or at least was when i had it on xp (haven't been able to install it for vista yet... fuck you too, auzentech). Running the speaker test in the control panel the sounds all came from the proper speakers. And there isnt much of anythign to configure in battlefield, it's just set to software mode w/o EAX (hardware mode causes instant crashing)

Do you have your windows speaker configuration set to 5.1 in the control panel? I hear plenty of surround effects in BF2 / 2142 / COD2 / Oblivion with my Sondigo Inferno. Make sure you've set up your speaker sizes, distances, and crossovers correctly on your receiver as well.

The only problem I'm having with my Inferno is that I can't get it to play back Quicktime files without distortion. I'm stumped.

Sounds like a driver issue to me, using software won't give you a good sound. X-Plosion does have stability issue on my system before. Did you use the magic voice feature? Using that feature will make my system unstable, disabling it will improve my stability.

phide, ...only one i have
silver... yes the driver sets it to 5.1 automatically
alg... magic voice on or off has no effect on sound or stability for me

Try a few drivers from the web and cd until you can choose hardware in your game. Also try moving your card to other PCI slot.

Back