I hate ASUS right now

jerryrigged

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I cannot get this "asus update" utility to even install. I download the program, it opens up through winrar, there are two .exe files, when I try to open either, I get a message telling me no ASUS motherboard is detected!

This computer is running on a p4p800 Deluxe!

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks.

If anyone encounters a similar problem in the future I found the guy's post who found the solution over at "tombraiderforums" lol

I have finally found the solution to this problem.

Open Registry
(Click Start > Run... type in
regedit
click OK.)
In the left side of the menu, navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node

Change the name "Wow6432Node" (right-click on it and select "change name") and put a low case "a" in front of Wow so that it will become:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\aWow6432Node

Reboot the PC.

NOW install ASUSUpdate.

Here is the link: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=64047

The excerpt above is from the second page.

Now, can anyone link me to a good (meaning it still works) vmod/vdip tutorial for the p4p800 line?

Thanks!

you have to change the registry for it ?

man this has happened to me for a long time , will try it on my brothers pc.

Also asus site is so slow and you in the give up trying to end the problem

I have a P4C800-E deluxe and I had this same exact problem. Eventually I reinstalled windows and attempted to reinstall the program and it worked.

Try reinstall the chipset drivers (using asus install drivers) and give it another try.

I've run into this a number of times. I don't generally worry about it, I just use the floppy and move on.

Dan_D said:
I've run into this a number of times. I don't generally worry about it, I just use the floppy and move on.
Dude your the motherboard editor , you eat and sleep motherboards.

nooh said:
Dude your the motherboard editor , you eat and sleep motherboards.

Yes I do. :D

The ASUS Update Utility has never been something that has worked well for me. Most of the time when you try to update from the web or via FTP site, the program can never get connected and you get busy errors.

The best thing to do in Windows is download the BIOS update, then use the ASUS Update Utility to load the BIOS image. That way works the best.

When the ASUS Utility doesn't say you have an ASUS motherboard, try removing all your mobo related drivers, and installing them from the ASUS CD. That generally works as was originally mentioned.

However, that is more of a pain in the ass, and will cause you more problems then getting an external floppy, or creating a bootable CD Rom to do your BIOS flashing.

i have found that the creative x-fi drivers bork the asus update utility.

They just might, but I have always had that problem without a Creative Labs card installed at all.

When I am doing motherboard reviews, I use the onboard audio for all my testing. Since I am evaluating the board in question. :)

This response comes from the business center of my Apt complex!

Thanks for all the suggestions, special thanks to Dan for commenting, I'll need you to again I think!

I was fooling around wit the SATA raid setup last night (I have two 74gig SATA drives that weren't in raid) and accidentally deleted everything (woops) by striping the HDs together - super-noob mistake I know!

Anyway, after a passing through different troubles impairing the reinstalation of XP, now I the XP setup won't recognize the disks if they are setup up for raid. All I can do so far as raid with this MOBO (p4p800 Dlx) and SATA strives is stripe them, hope that info helps you solve my problem hehe.

There is probably an easy solution to this, can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks

Edit: I found the following excerpt from the following link:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1778&page=10

Because of this, when installing Windows 2000/XP for the first time onto a SATA drive supported by a dedicated chipset, you will need to inform the installation process that your Serial ATA drives are on a separate controller. This is done by providing the software drivers for the controller to the install process (hit F6, and insert a floppy disk with the SATA controller drivers) at the beginning of the process. If you do not do this, the install process may stop, informing you that it cannot find any hard drives .

If this happens to you, follow the steps below:

Begin the Windows 2000/XP installation process by powering on your system, inserting the operating system CD and pressing any key to boot from the CD when prompted.

As soon as the Windows 2000/XP installation process starts (blue screen), there will be a small prompt at the bottom of the screen which says 'Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.' Hit F6 right away, preferably more than once.

The installation process will continue, and eventually you will be prompted for those additional drivers. Insert your SATA driver floppy disk (which will have come with your motherboard) into the FDD drive, then hit 'S' to specify additional devices. The installation process will search for the driver files on the disk and display a list. Select the correct device then hit ENTER to continue the installation as normal. The drive will be partitioned and formatted as part of the install process. You can now install Windows as normal.

Damn - I don't have the floppy anymore, that's for sure.

Edit #2: I went to the ASUS website and looked under download for my board, it doesn't look like the Intel RAID controller software/driver can be downloaded. The VIA drivers can, but that doesn't include support for the SATA raid as I understand it.

Any suggestions (besides "give up on raid!") I mean, I already deleted nearly 70 gigs of data on RAID's behalf (woops again) I'm not going to give up.

Thanks for the help.

if you are using the intel on board controller you could get the raid driver from the intel down load and support site

Thanks, last night I got it sent via email from an ASUS rep. I'm writing from my striped harddrive sporting computer right this very minute! Awesome!

Does anyone have a good tutorial on voltmodding and droopmodding this mobo?

Thanks!

I am getting this new problem on this board and yes I reckon creative is the cause or asus,

Sorted it using the the regedit trick

I had the same problem on my Asus Crosshair. Uninstalled X-Fi drivers and it worked just fine. Re-installed X-Fi drivers and out of curiosty tried the utility and it failed just like before.

I'm having the same symptoms on my A8N32 so I'll try it there too when its time
to update bios.

Forgot to mention the registry modification didn't work for me.

I had a problem with the P5W64-ws and this sorted it out. Pretty cool I have to say the registry trick.

I think its a creative problem cos this happened to me with the sound card.

Bowhuntr11 said:
I love ASUS! :D

I do too, but they aren't perfect and niether are their products. Frankly many of them could use some design changes or additional development time. Often ASUS rushes products to market to be first.

In their defense, they make some of the most stable motherboards on the planet.

bubblescivic said:
i've always hated asus. gigabyte FTMFW!

I hear great things about the new Gigabyte boards, but I've replaced more Gigabyte boards than ASUS boards in machines while I was a bench tech. Considering that ASUS makes more boards than Gigabyte, that says a lot.

Back