I happen to like Bioshock quite a bit...

Indeed it is. In fact, I'm quite surprised nobody has come in and tried to ruin it yet. :) I played through the medical area last night. Amazing stuff. This game is forcing a different playing style out of me. Usually I horde ammo, and save/load a ton, so that I don't need to think about where to get it next. Bioshock has me using things up, and scrambling around to find more, which sucks me that much further in to the game. I've been in places with a bunch of splicers, had a couple of bullets, couple of shotgun shells, a little bit of Eve, and had to figure out where to spend the bullets, etc.

This game is forcing a different playing style out of me. Usually I horde ammo, and save/load a ton, so that I don't need to think about where to get it next. Bioshock has me using things up, and scrambling around to find more, which sucks me that much further in to the game. I've been in places with a bunch of splicers, had a couple of bullets, couple of shotgun shells, a little bit of Eve, and had to figure out where to spend the bullets, etc.

haha. I'm totally the same way with games. I'm ultra conservative with ammo and supplies. I'm the guy that backtracks half a level just to pick up that medpack I had passed over previously.

But sadly my anal ways haven't changed much with Bioshock. Last night before I quit playing my wallet was full (at $500), and I had a decent amount of ammo for all my guns. I think maybe that's why I'm having a bit of trouble with the Big Daddies.... I'm not spending my money as liberally as I should be.

I happen to like Bioshock quite a bit so far. I played the demo and my machine would only handle 1024x768 in Vista, but now I am buying it on Steam and am downloading it now. I just wanted to make a positive post about this great game. Thanks for reading.

I love this game. I usually don't like FPS's, more of a strategy guy, but this game has captured my imagination like no other game in a long time.

I am not reading anymore of this thread though because I don't want any spoilers.

Purchased my copy from Steam as well, played a bit, and initial impressions are superb . Still trying to finish Stalker, Bioshock is going to sit on the backburner for awhile.

When my girlfriend is in the shower, I like to sneak up to her and start doing the Big Daddy "oooOOOOORRRRRrrrrrrr" noise.

Chicks love scary video game references. =|

I made the mistake of not saving at the medical area right after i had completed it, so i lost about 45 minutes of play when i accidentally rebooted my computer. It worked out since i found an area i missed before while replaying it. And now i save ALOT more often...:p
Great game though.

ah thanks dallows, that clears it up well, I have a hardtime paying attention to the story the first time around on a new game with so many new things going on

Just kicking up this old thread. I watched the like first developer walk-through of Bioshock with Ken narrating. The definitely changed a few things. IE, ADAM was used to buy stuff (upgrades, etc) and for hacking. I think that would've been a better system and maybe a little more challenging.

Got this game yesterday and been playing it almost non stop. Thank god its the second week of class and im ahead on my studies and homework. So far my best moment is when I hyptomized a Big Daddy into liking me, then brought him to another Big Daddy and then started shooting at the other Big Daddy and watched too Big Daddys duke it out. It was an amazing site to watch, I should of took some screenshots to show its epicness.

Just wondering, I just got all the ingredients to make that potion to bring back the plants so oxygen is created and now have to go back up to the labotory use it. How far is this in the game would you say? I hope im not far at all cause im having a blast playing this game.

Just kicking up this old thread. I watched the like first developer walk-through of Bioshock with Ken narrating. The definitely changed a few things. IE, ADAM was used to buy stuff (upgrades, etc) and for hacking. I think that would've been a better system and maybe a little more challenging.

Well you technically upgrade yourself with ADAM. Or did the walk through use ADAM to upgrade your guns and buy things with? So far the system is pretty good as its challenging as you have to conserve your ammo pretty well as you dont have alot of money to spend.

So far my best moment is when I hyptomized a Big Daddy into liking me, then brought him to another Big Daddy and then started shooting at the other Big Daddy and watched too Big Daddys duke it out. It was an amazing site to watch, I should of took some screenshots to show its epicness.

Man, that's exactly what happened to me!

Right at the top of the main stairs in Fort Frolic I managed to get 2 big daddies to duke it out like you. They were elite big daddies and so just threw punches at each other with their grinders. They were both on full health and the whole fight lasted a good 2 minutes. I just sat there waiting patiently, I was gunna make a save but I forgot because it was such fun to watch. Finally when one went down I just pointed my pistol at the victor and put a single armour piercing round right through his head dropping him in one. SOOOOOooooo satisfying, not to mention the bling bling ka-ching gleaned from two dead big daddies. Best moment of the whole game for me. :D

Well you technically upgrade yourself with ADAM. Or did the walk through use ADAM to upgrade your guns and buy things with? So far the system is pretty good as its challenging as you have to conserve your ammo pretty well as you dont have alot of money to spend.

You get tonics and stuff, but I don't remember exactly. I just know that it was different and probably a better system. I'll watch the video sometime later and get back to you.

Edit: So going back to the developer walkthrough I noticed a few other things. Plasmids acted differently. For instance: He was able to use his plasmids with his gun still up. Now I'm not sure if you could use a plasmid and fire the weapon right after without switching, but it would've seemed so. So perhaps they changed it to make it more difficult? Personally I think it would have been cooler to use your left hand for plasmids without taking away your gun and then just not being able to use your gun for a few secs after you used a plasmid.

Personally I think it would have been cooler to use your left hand for plasmids without taking away your gun and then just not being able to use your gun for a few secs after you used a plasmid.

I kinda like it how it is with essentially having plasmids versus guns for attack. Opens up the game alot more for more varied combinations of attack. My favourite being to stalk around with incinerate out and hit whatever comes into view straight away, then either just wait if it's a weak splicer for them to burn to death, or switch and shoot with anti-personnel machine gun rounds.

I cant kill the first big daddy ive come up too, I pump all my ammo into him,, and he is not dead. and I have no more ammo, i have no idea what to do

I cant kill the first big daddy ive come up too, I pump all my ammo into him,, and he is not dead. and I have no more ammo, i have no idea what to do

I think I remember the area, there should be some turrents around you can hack and use that against him.

Big Daddys hate the electric buckshot.

Good damage and their paralyzed while you shoot them.

Got this game yesterday and been playing it almost non stop. Thank god its the second week of class and im ahead on my studies and homework. So far my best moment is when I hyptomized a Big Daddy into liking me, then brought him to another Big Daddy and then started shooting at the other Big Daddy and watched too Big Daddys duke it out. It was an amazing site to watch, I should of took some screenshots to show its epicness....

How do you hypnotize them? :confused: What plasmid is it, cause I really want it

How far in the game are you? Did you reach the part where you encounter Tenebaum and the little sister?

How far in the game are you? Did you reach the part where you encounter Tenebaum and the little sister?

I am in Fort Frolic, I think. The place where you have to do Sander Cohen's bidding. So I'm pretty far into the game. I don't know how I could have missed something that seems so integral to the story.

By the way, I really appreciate yours and everyone else's effort to minimize the spoilers posted in this thread :D

Ah, so fairly along. Have you been saving or harvesting the little sisters?

Ah......Ok. thanks for the heads up. That just means I'll actually have to kill me some Big Daddies

Wow. I finally got some free time today to get through the game. Let's just say it really picks up and gets interesting. I hope I can finish it tonight. :D

Hooray for a postive thread. I'm sick of seeing people bash this game for stupid shit. Spoiled brats who don't know shit IMO. I only have 2 complaints about the game.

1. I cannot choose a name for my saved games.

2. There's this huge city that I feel I will only partially explore. :(

The size of the city is what gives the game its replayability........

I just bought the game off of Steam myself and I've played about 10 hours so far. I absolutely love the game. The graphics are amazng, the atmosphere really sucks you in, I found myself inching closer and closer to the screen when I was done.

I'm playing on a Dell XPS M1710 (Intel Centrino Duo 2.0, 2GB, NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS 256MB) and I've been playing real smooth in 1024x768 with most of the graphics turned down except for post-processing.

The size of the city is what gives the game its replayability........

No, because you're limited by the areas you can explore. The city itself is actually massive. And we probably see 1/4th of that.

How do you hypnotize them? :confused: What plasmid is it, cause I really want it

You need to save 3 little sisters then a person starts talking to you saying the next time you visit the Gathers Garden(I think the plasmid place is called this) there be a teddy bear with a surprise in it for you.

Very good game, there so many different variations to how someone can play it, my mate uses traps alot and ambushes the enemies, im a guns blazing freeze one foe set fire to the other kinda guy :cool:

The city is massive, you probably only explore about 1/1000th of it when it comes to volume explored, if you look out of the windows a lot you will see several MASSIVE er...seascrapers(?) either way they're huge buildings which tower on for probably 100's of floor high.

I'd like to replay it but I'm waiting for them to fix the widescreen and mouse acceleration, SIGH..

Those that say the game world is massive are mistaken. The levels are actually quite small and there is plenty of tedious backtracking.

Bioshock is surely the most over hyped game in the history of games. I'm glad that the average score from Gamespot readers is 8.8. Right on the money and worlds removed from the ridiculous sensationalistic press reviews.

I can't wait for Half-Life 2 Episode 2 to really show how great a FPS can be.

Back