I got my Athlon II X3 425 to 3.6ghz!

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
A while back, I posted this thread about my previous OC to 3.4ghz with my stock fan. Well now, I have had it running stable with prime for over 4 hours at 3.6ghz. I put a voltage of 1.465 in the bios and cpu-z reports 1.520 at the max under load. But I didn't get to the best part. Previously, with the stock fan, I got 30 degrees idle and 54 degrees load. I got a new Cooler Master Hyper TX3 for $20 a couple days ago and lapped it. Brace yourself. I got my temps down to 19 degrees idle and 33 degrees load!! My 3dmark cpu score went up another 400 points from my previous OC.

Here's the load temps and the voltage reported by cpu-z

Here's the idle temps.

What do you guys think?

PS Almost forgot. Here's the memory timings I was able to get. Running at DDR3 1424

Last edited:
Decent overclock :D I have a 445 running at 3.8 with aftermarket cooling

Just be careful with the temps, I got some inaccurate readings from programs like HWMonitor.

^^I don't think I'll go much higher. I don't want to raise the voltage any higher if the CPU-Z reported voltage is accurate. As for the temps, I'm pretty sure its accurate. All programs like core temp and cpu-z show the same temp. And they were accurate before I put the aftermarket fan on. I was hoping to get 3.7ghz, but I don't think it will go much higher, especially since the base clock is 2.7ghz, that would mean I'd need a 275mhz fsb. I may run into some mobo bottlenecks. I was so amazed when I got the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 and lapped it. I got such a cool temp drop!

One question I have, is why is the voltage reported in the bios so different from cpu-z, hwmonitor, etc. and which one should I trust? It's been like that since I've got the board.

Why does coretemp only show one temperature? Are you sure that's not the Tcase temp?

Either way, i'm pretty jealous.

Pretty awesome overclock man, and those temps are great. :cool:

Why does coretemp only show one temperature? Are you sure that's not the Tcase temp?

Either way, i'm pretty jealous.

I have a Phenom 2 quad and CoreTemp's that way for me too, its the correct temp. It only shows Core 0 for some reason in the window, but when you have the tray icons enabled it shows all 4 cores and they match up. 99% of the time all 4 cores are the same temp for me.

I have a Phenom 2 quad and CoreTemp's that way for me too, its the correct temp. It only shows Core 0 for some reason in the window, but when you have the tray icons enabled it shows all 4 cores and they match up. 99% of the time all 4 cores are the same temp for me.

There's only one core sensor in AMD's new CPUs, so it should only show one reading. Software that does show more is only reading the value multiple times, which is why you can see a very small variation between them, as there is a small windows of time for the reading to change.

the temps reported by Hwmonitor are the same as cpu-z. HWmonitor also shows all cores.

the temps reported by Hwmonitor are the same as cpu-z. HWmonitor also shows all cores.

Each "Core" reading is coming from the same sensor. The program is just polling it once for each core listed. This is why you will not see anything other than an extremely small variation in temps. If each core had it's own sensor, the readings would be anywhere from 3-7c off from each other. Look an Intel's CPUs, and even the old K8s which had a sensor in each core for prior precedent.

Each "Core" reading is coming from the same sensor. The program is just polling it once for each core listed. This is why you will not see anything other than an extremely small variation in temps. If each core had it's own sensor, the readings would be anywhere from 3-7c off from each other. Look an Intel's CPUs, and even the old K8s which had a sensor in each core for prior precedent.
Ok, thanks for that. I wasn't sure about the sensors. But to prove its not a software issue I looked at temp the mother board measures. The temp reported by the mobo was about 7 degrees higher, but that's common for the socket temp to be higher. So no, it is not a software issue.
Oh as for the voltage, after I added more voltage for this oc, I got a VID of 1.2625. What does this mean exactly? Also, the reported vcore is same accross all the programs I've tried, even the ASRock OCtuner. Should I still trust the bios over these programs?

Last edited:
That seems like a lot of voltage to get that OC

agreed alot of voltage...

Did you try less voltage and at what point did it hang, doesn't sound too out of the norm for an overclock.

The memory timing look good with that 1T but I'd seriously reduce those timings and get more out of the processor then go back to the memory.

I really think your hanging on memory not CPU so that high CPU voltage is probably unnessary.

Have you read this...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1327003

?>?

^^So would you be more inclined to trust CPU-z than the bios as far as voltage goes, considering cpu-z reports 1.5 while the bios is set to 1.465? Well I'm going to right down all my current settings in the bios and reset everything then start from scratch and see if I can go this high with that high of the voltage.

A while back, I posted this thread about my previous OC to 3.4ghz with my stock fan. Well now, I have had it running stable with prime for over 4 hours at 3.6ghz. I put a voltage of 1.465 in the bios and cpu-z reports 1.520 at the max under load. But I didn't get to the best part. Previously, with the stock fan, I got 30 degrees idle and 54 degrees load. I got a new Cooler Master Hyper TX3 for $20 a couple days ago and lapped it. Brace yourself. I got my temps down to 19 degrees idle and 33 degrees load!! My 3dmark cpu score went up another 400 points from my previous OC.

Here's the load temps and the voltage reported by cpu-z

Here's the idle temps.

What do you guys think?

PS Almost forgot. Here's the memory timings I was able to get. Running at DDR3 1424

is this prime95 small FFT stable?

no I would trust cpuz or hwmonitor more than what it says in the bios screen.

Basically cpuz is reading the bios voltage anyways, the voltage is just lower once it's in windows...

try loading up your cpu then unloading you will see that the voltage changes especially if your power supply is an el'cheap-o

no I would trust cpuz or hwmonitor more than what it says in the bios screen.

Basically cpuz is reading the bios voltage anyways, the voltage is just lower once it's in windows...

try loading up your cpu then unloading you will see that the voltage changes especially if your power supply is an el'cheap-o
You're not reading my posts correctly. I'm familiar with vdroop, but this isn't the case. The voltage reported by cpuz, hwqmonitor, etc. is higher than what I set in the bios. As for the power supply, its a good quality Corsair 400CX

UPDATE: I copied down my oc settings and reset bios settings to default. The voltage stated in the bios is 1.325 and it shows up as 1.360 on load in cpu-z. This is the trend i have noticed the board has exhibited the ever since I got it. The vcore seems to go up a by about .055 from what the bios reports.

Last edited:
Sorry my mistake on the voltage, your right I read it the other way around, it's not voltage drop.

One the actual voltage mine reports 0.008V higher as well not as much as yours, 1.4V set 1.408 in cpu-z.
Personally I'd pick a voltage around 1.4V -1.45 V in CPUz and be done.

I'm still not sure what the point of your post is... I think those temps look good and you might be able to get more out of it? I wouldn't worry about what the difference is between set and actual, just the actual.

keep upping the voltage to no more than 1.45V with a load temperature less than 50C you should be heat stable. With no L3 cache you have to worry a little more when temps increase above 50C, (in terms of stability).

I'd suggest cut the memory timings find the max fsb, then up the timings. Could get another couple 100 mhz out of it?

nice overclock, but im not sure your temps are accurate, 19 C is 66.2 Fahrenheit, that is a pretty chilly room, is your ambient really less than 66 F?

nice overclock, but im not sure your temps are accurate, 19 C is 66.2 Fahrenheit, that is a pretty chilly room, is your ambient really less than 66 F?
Well, its the middle of the winter time and my house gets pretty cold. We don't have the heater on all the time. I seriously doubt our room temp is any higher than 70 in the middle of the day, closer to the lower 60s in the morning

I managed to lower my memory timings to 7-7-7-20-32-1T @ DDR3 1424

Last edited:
These Athlon II's do good OC-wise I've heared and I'm seeing it right now from you :D.. I have a few PC's that I gathered for my Dad's office, I like them

Back