I Got Hacked Mid-Air While Writing An Apple-FBI Story

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not saying this guy made up this story but damn man, you sure have to admit it sounds like something you'd throw into your Apple vs. FBI story just to spice it up. Think about it, a hacker that just so happens to be a privacy advocate profoundly troubled by this crisis, decides to hack that dude's laptop because....why? Read the story and tell me what you think.

“I hacked your email on the plane and read everything you sent and received. I did it to most people on the flight.” He had verbatim detail of a long email that he repeated back to me essentially word for word.

"from the fellow in the row behind me"

Did he access email or just video record the email being typed out. Just saying, plenty of time on a flight to do anything like that. Not saying he didnt 'hack him' just saying there are other ways to get the same results in this situation. Also it really sounds more like just some fishy story to get attention and clicks because without any factual information it sounds more like some blogger trying to get his posts shared around facebook or tumblr.

Yeah that is all fluff for his Apple v FBI story.

I don't see why the FBI can't just log some hours trying to brute force the password it has been a while since I owned an apple device but when the password resets a random generated one is sent to your registered email now shouldn't that email be easier to access than this whole debacle...

He's lucky the guy told him that he got hacked while on the plane. Now he gets to imagine all the other times he got hacked and didn't know about it. But I digress, his story I don't think will help his Apple/FBI story. What happened to him is a common occurrence such that it is not even news anymore.

Yeah that is all fluff for his Apple v FBI story.

I don't see why the FBI can't just log some hours trying to brute force the password it has been a while since I owned an apple device but when the password resets a random generated one is sent to your registered email now shouldn't that email be easier to access than this whole debacle...

Even if they were to brute-force the temporary iCloud password so that they could set it themselves they would still have the issue that they need the phone unlocked to enter the new iCloud password so the phone can sync again.

If the story is true, the "hacker" was likely just sniffing traffic and either the journalist was sending data unencrypted (e.g. if the journalist is using POP without TLS or IMAP without HTTPS) or the server isn't encrypting session cookies and the sniffing party used FireSheep or similar.

Didn't click, but I'm guessing it's by Brian Williams?

It wasn't. But the article is dumb. His devices didn't get hacked. He was on gogo WiFi and the guy read his unencrypted email traffic. Or over his shoulder, or it is made up.

So if you are aware of a crime and don't report it to the cops, can you be found guilty yourself?

Just sayin :smug:

Back