I got doom3, LOTS OF PICS and impressions

gregr

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I already posted a lot of stuff on this at sharkyforums so I will just post the pics here and you can click this link: http://sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243726 to see the info. I know there is already a thread by someone else who got it, but I figured you guys would like as much pics/info as you can get. The real gameplay is slightly lighter than these pics, the pics come out a little dark for some reason. I am playing at 1024x768 at medium details and it runs quite smoothly. It's running on a p4 2.4 at 2.8 ghz and a 9700 pro at default speed. Anyway, here are the pics:

Keep in mind that these are only JPEGs and the real game has more vibrant colors and looks a bit better

*************POTENTIAL SPOILERS********************
I only played part way through the first level so there arent really spoilers, just though i'd warn you

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Is your video card last generation, because I see tons of jaggies?

What graphic quality is that?

And does it look as good as the indoors of Far Cry when it is in motion (well in case you are running it on high graphics).

Read!

I am playing at 1024x768 at medium details and it runs quite smoothly. It's running on a p4 2.4 at 2.8 ghz and a 9700 pro at default speed.

edit-
someone beat me to it. :p

Awesome pics. Is it scary?

I could probably run it in high detail and get ok frame rates, but I like having it run really smoothly, and it certainly still looks very good at medium detail. If you guys look at the hardocp hardware guide to doom 3, medium and high detail look very similar. So I think medium detail works well for me.

Oh yes there are quite a few moments when you will jump out of your chair :D Check out the thread at sharky that I posted the link to, I answer a lot of questions there that you guys may be thinking

There are already hundreds of D3 screenshots floating around. It gets old pretty quick. Info about the gameplay would be more appreciated.

ok ill post some gameplay info, this is pasted from the thread at sharkys so some of it may not blend together well because it comes from multiple posts so it may sound a little weird:

All right I couldnt help myself and I played for a little bit. Some quick first impressions without giving anything away: The game is somewhat laggy for me at 1024x768 at medium settings. I was just playing at 800x600 with medium settings and it seemed to run well. To be honest I can't really tell that the resolution is so low because the shadows look so damn good.

I only played for a little bit but there are definately a few "HOLY CRAP" moments when the monsters jump out at you and you jump out of your chair and start firing madly Turn up the sound and turn off the lights for this game.

To be honest I'm a little dissapointed that 1024x768 didnt run so well, is there any way to display the fps or run a demo or anything? Maybe it was just in my head, I would like to see the actual fps.

Anyway, the game looks good so far, I'll give you guys an update later tonight once I really get into the game

Well guys I restarted my comp and closed all unnecesary(sp?) processes and it runs quite smoothly at 1024x768 now at medium settings. I took a few pics real quick just so you guys could see what it looks like, more to come later:

Another quick thing you guys should know about the game is that it is fairly difficult. The enemies usually sneak up on you or surprise you, so they get a few good hits in before you can fire back. Also ammo is quite hard to come by. It is still very fun and scary though

By the way, the pics really don't do the game justice. You have to see it in motion and see how the shadows move to really appreciate it.

One thing I noticed is that my system runs fine with the processor overclocked from 2.4 to 2.8. I guess as long as you don't push it too hard it is fine, I'm pleasantly surprised though since Carmack gave the warning about overclocking with the game.

It sounds great except for some reason my back speakers are very quiet but its probably some driver setting that I haven't changed. It still sounds excellent though

Just got back from the only doom 3 multiplayer server up lol, only 3 people in it. It ran surprisingly well and there was a good deal of very cool weapons. Also the map is fairly small so 4 people seemed like a good number, it was still very intense even though there were only 4 people. Don't wanna ruin it for you guys too much though

OK guys I just got done playing the game for a while and I took a lot of pics. But first, let me say that this is one excellent game. It runs very well at 1024x768 with medium settings. It looks and sounds excellent. Well, here are the pics, I think you'll like them. For some reason the pics are a little bit darker than actual gameplay, so you can really see more when you play, but not a whole lot more. BTW I didnt play far into the game at all so there arent any major spoilers. It took me a while to get all of these and convert them to JPEGs and everything, so I hope you guys like them

I could probably run it in high detail and get ok frame rates, but I like having it run really smoothly, and it certainly still looks very good at medium detail. If you guys look at the hardocp hardware guide to doom 3, medium and high detail look very similar. So I think medium detail works well for me.

ChiMan said:
There are already hundreds of D3 screenshots floating around. It gets old pretty quick. Info about the gameplay would be more appreciated.
Do you know any place where I can find high quality high resolution pictures? I am still underwhelmed with the graphics quality of this game. Starting to look like I bought into the overhype. I am sure the lighting and animations look great but I am looking at the textures and models of non-living objects. I am sure mods and other games based on the engine can make the textures and models look great however, I think this game may have fallen short.

Greg, FRAPS should work. I have no idea if there is a console command for FPS, but there probably is that too.

It will probably be the same as in Quake3 as companies usually keep their engines similar in that respect.

Staples said:
Do you know any place where I can find high quality high resolution pictures? I am still underwhelmed with the graphics quality of this game. Starting to look like I bought into the overhype. I am sure the lighting and animations look great but I am looking at the textures and models of non-living objects. I am sure mods and other games based on the engine can make the textures and models look great however, I think this game may have fallen short.

If you want better graphics then just watch a movie and pretend like your controlling the main character with your mouse and keyboard.

I dont really see how you can be underwhelmed, those screenshots look excellent imo, and they dont even look as good as the real gameplay. i could make it look a little better if I wanted to but I like it to run really smoothly

I was also one of the lucky ones who got it today from bestbuy. I havent played much yet but have ran into a some slight problems. The game looks awesome, but every once in a while I will encounter a scene where the fps drop into single digits. It is clearly due to certain lighting conditions or fog. I am running 1024 x 768 with high detail, see system specs below. After changing the details to medium the problem stopped. I am going to install another gig of ram to see if it helps. WTF, 4ghz P4, 6800 GT @ ultra, and I still cant run high details. :confused:

This pic is in high detail, 1024 x 768 and no AA

doom3-001.JPG

MemoryInAGarden said:
Greg, FRAPS should work. I have no idea if there is a console command for FPS, but there probably is that too.
There is a command, I have no clue what. A google turned up nothing. Try these:

fps 1
show_fps 1
show fps 1

Maybe that will help? :confused:

Hey orion i see you are from indy as well, did you get it at the castleton best buy? thats where i got mine.

BTW i got fraps but it makes the game laggy so the fps results arent accurate

I think you might want to play the game first before you say it has fallen short, just a suggestion.

Staples said:

gerald said:
I think you might want to play the game first before you say it has fallen short, just a suggestion.
Yes, I think you are jumping the gun Staples. It's hard to take a good image of something stationary. At least try the demo when it comes out if you fear you have bought into the hype. :)

OrionNT said:
The game looks awesome, but every once in a while I will encounter a scene where the fps drop into single digits. It is clearly due to certain lighting conditions or fog. I am running 1024 x 768 with high detail, see system specs below. I have changed the detail and aa and it doesnt make a difference.

Whew - that doesn't sound good for anybody running anything but a high end system. From the specs in your sig I would have thought it would have stayed above 30fps at least. :eek:

Thanks for the high graphic quality picture OrionN. On most people's system, it does not run very well at high quality however if they take shots to show them off, better well do it max quality, even if it is just a few from the begining. The game looks great. I am no longer underwhelmed. Even Far Cry makes a huge difference between medium and max quality and I see this game does too.

Roberty said:
Whew - that doesn't sound good for anybody running anything but a high end system. From the specs in your sig I would have thought it would have stayed above 30fps at least. :eek:

I changed it to medium detail and it solved that problem. It runs perfect on high until I run into certain lighting conditions and fog.

Im assuming High Quality is out of the question for me then? Damn :( i was really hoping for it.

This is why I'm glad I went out and bought that FX-53 and 6800U. I cant wait to be running the game at 1600x1200 with Ultra settings.

OrionNT said:
I changed it to medium detail and it solved that problem. It runs perfect on high until I run into certain lighting conditions and fog.
Have you tried disabling Specular? The command is this, I think: "specular 0."

gregr said:
ok ill post some gameplay info, this is pasted from the thread at sharkys so some of it may not blend together well because it comes from multiple posts so it may sound a little weird:

All right I couldnt help myself and I played for a little bit. Some quick first impressions without giving anything away: The game is somewhat laggy for me at 1024x768 at medium settings. I was just playing at 800x600 with medium settings and it seemed to run well. To be honest I can't really tell that the resolution is so low because the shadows look so damn good.

I only played for a little bit but there are definately a few "HOLY CRAP" moments when the monsters jump out at you and you jump out of your chair and start firing madly Turn up the sound and turn off the lights for this game.

To be honest I'm a little dissapointed that 1024x768 didnt run so well, is there any way to display the fps or run a demo or anything? Maybe it was just in my head, I would like to see the actual fps.

Anyway, the game looks good so far, I'll give you guys an update later tonight once I really get into the game

Well guys I restarted my comp and closed all unnecesary(sp?) processes and it runs quite smoothly at 1024x768 now at medium settings. I took a few pics real quick just so you guys could see what it looks like, more to come later:

Another quick thing you guys should know about the game is that it is fairly difficult. The enemies usually sneak up on you or surprise you, so they get a few good hits in before you can fire back. Also ammo is quite hard to come by. It is still very fun and scary though

By the way, the pics really don't do the game justice. You have to see it in motion and see how the shadows move to really appreciate it.

One thing I noticed is that my system runs fine with the processor overclocked from 2.4 to 2.8. I guess as long as you don't push it too hard it is fine, I'm pleasantly surprised though since Carmack gave the warning about overclocking with the game.

It sounds great except for some reason my back speakers are very quiet but its probably some driver setting that I haven't changed. It still sounds excellent though

Just got back from the only doom 3 multiplayer server up lol, only 3 people in it. It ran surprisingly well and there was a good deal of very cool weapons. Also the map is fairly small so 4 people seemed like a good number, it was still very intense even though there were only 4 people. Don't wanna ruin it for you guys too much though

OK guys I just got done playing the game for a while and I took a lot of pics. But first, let me say that this is one excellent game. It runs very well at 1024x768 with medium settings. It looks and sounds excellent. Well, here are the pics, I think you'll like them. For some reason the pics are a little bit darker than actual gameplay, so you can really see more when you play, but not a whole lot more. BTW I didnt play far into the game at all so there arent any major spoilers. It took me a while to get all of these and convert them to JPEGs and everything, so I hope you guys like them

You're running on an OC'ed P4. In my case, I have a stock clocked P4 2.6/HT (also a middle-end processor), an AIW 9700 Pro, and 512 MB of RAM (similar enough to your own). What FSB is your processor? I will likely be running with settings similar to yours.

On the sound settings, there is *no* hardware acceleration option in Doom3 at all. But what audio options *are* there?
I would like to be able to use the 5.1 speakers I have (Inspire 5300s).

OrionNT said:

OrionNT,

You have a truly kick-ass system and I am surprised to hear what you're telling us. I have a P4 3.0/1gb/6800 Ultra/74gb Raptor and when I get the game I will write up how it went, just to compare notes.

I must have formatted 3 times already in two weeks just to make sure everything runs smooth (last time was today when I got my Raptor specifically for Doom3!). I trust you've formatted and defragged, but still I'm suprised. Best of luck in your search for the gameplay you're looking for!

François

we have similar systems orion, i just moved outta indy last summer myself.....

i wonder if your 5/4 ratio on the pc3200 is giving issue......i know I gained a bunch at the high fsb by going to something that could run 1-1.....even if the timings get sloppy..

Lali said:
OrionNT,

You have a truly kick-ass system and I am surprised to hear what you're telling us. I have a P4 3.0/1gb/6800 Ultra/74gb Raptor and when I get the game I will write up how it went, just to compare notes.

I must have formatted 3 times already in two weeks just to make sure everything runs smooth (last time was today when I got my Raptor specifically for Doom3!). I trust you've formatted and defragged, but still I'm suprised. Best of luck in your search for the gameplay you're looking for!

François

OrionNT,

I just thought about something.... In the [H] doom3 benchmarks, John Carmack said:
A note on overclocking: it is very likely that overclocked configurations that "play everything else perfectly" will start to show problems on D3 due to new usage patterns. Everyone is of course free to do whatever they want with their own hardware, but don't complain to us...

Why not try under-clocking your videocard just to see if that would be the cause?

anyways just a thought

François

Lali said:
OrionNT,

I just thought about something.... In the [H] doom3 benchmarks, John Carmack said:
A note on overclocking: it is very likely that overclocked configurations that "play everything else perfectly" will start to show problems on D3 due to new usage patterns. Everyone is of course free to do whatever they want with their own hardware, but don't complain to us...

Why not try under-clocking your videocard just to see if that would be the cause?

anyways just a thought

François

Yes I tried that right off the bat. Also, my temps for my gpu and cpu are very low compared to benchmarks and Far Cry. My gpu would reach 80C in far cry and the highest I have seen so far in Doom is 69c.

OrionNT said:
Yes I tried that right off the bat. Also, my temps for my gpu and cpu are very low compared to benchmarks and Far Cry. My gpu would reach 80C in far cry and the highest I have seen so far in Doom is 69c.
Did you try disabling Specular with Specular 0?

OrionNT said:
I was also one of the lucky ones who got it today from bestbuy. I havent played much yet but have ran into a some slight problems. The game looks awesome, but every once in a while I will encounter a scene where the fps drop into single digits. It is clearly due to certain lighting conditions or fog. I am running 1024 x 768 with high detail, see system specs below. After changing the details to medium the problem stopped. I am going to install another gig of ram to see if it helps. WTF, 4ghz P4, 6800 GT @ ultra, and I still cant run high details. :confused:

If you're having perfomance issues that bad, you have a major problem somewhere. According to this graph from the hardware guide your system should be eating Doom 3 alive at 1600x1200 on high.

NotChunks said:
This is why I'm glad I went out and bought that FX-53 and 6800U. I cant wait to be running the game at 1600x1200 with Ultra settings.

did you even read the d3 hardware guide? unless youre running a 512mb video card, youre not going to be running the engine with ULTRA video settings

Moz said:
did you even read the d3 hardware guide? unless youre running a 512mb video card, youre not going to be running the engine with ULTRA video settings
From the guide...

Without a doubt, our AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 system sporting the ABIT AV8 motherboard with 2GB of Corsair XMS RAM was the pinnacle of DOOM 3 performance in terms of image quality and speed when outfitted with the BFGTech GeForce 6800 Ultra OC.
This was running at ULTRA @ 16X12. Lowest: 17fps, Highest: 60fps, Average: 46.

Back