I got a Core 2 Extreme for $1

Status
Not open for further replies.

laxmiddi44

Gawd
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
863
I found a pricing error one day on Microcenter.com so I was like what the hell I might as well try and get one. It was $1 plus shipping which came out to like $7.68 or something. I ordered it on the 10th, called on the 15th and the lady said she had to talk to a manager and would call me back. I never got any phonecall.

I called again today and the guy came back to say "We havn't received stock of the product yet but we will be honoring the price that you paid for the item. I talked to a manager and he said that we will honor the price. You will be receiving the item within 2 weeks"

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!! Thats all I have to say


Mod Edit: Unfortunately this thread evolved into a name calling fest by other members, regretfully ~ Papa-Ming
 
Dude, I will pay you DOUBLE what you paid for it!
smile.gif
 
Im not calling B.S, but who in the right mind would honor that price? People in buisness are to do 1 thing, make MONEY, and sometimes that means losing a customer, or not honoring an AD price, or online price mistakes. Come on, Do you really ever think you will see that chip ;) I hope you do, hell more power to ya.
 
we will have to wait for pictures, companies usually have protection from online pricing errors, especially something this drastic.
 
I'm calling bullshit on this.. and this is why....

Pricing errors are 99% of the time a decimal in the wrong space.. or somebody forgetting to put in an extra 0. A $998.99 processor or whatever it is normally listed at.. just doesn't get put up for $1.00. If you said you got it for 99.899 dollars.. that would make a helluva lot more sense.
 
I can't believe they'd honor that. At least not without a serious fight.
 
Microcenter has been honoring prices on mistakes in the past.....not sure if i believe this one but all i can say is that they did in the past with pretty big mistakes on their part.
 
The company would lose money, they aren't going to accept this. Especially a cpu thats worth $1100, they aren't going to just give that away because of an "error", and you can't expect them to. I can see them giving you a discount for misprinting, but to honor and lose $900 or so for the company isn't something I believe they would do.
 
laxmiddi44 said:
I found a pricing error one day on Microcenter.com so I was like what the hell I might as well try and get one. It was $1 plus shipping which came out to like $7.68 or something. I ordered it on the 10th, called on the 15th and the lady said she had to talk to a manager and would call me back. I never got any phonecall.

I called again today and the guy came back to say "We havn't received stock of the product yet but we will be honoring the price that you paid for the item. I talked to a manager and he said that we will honor the price. You will be receiving the item within 2 weeks"

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!! Thats all I have to say

I hope you never receive it... :p
Congrats! :)
 
Congrats IF you receive it and this story isn't bull.

In the other, more likely case, I highly doubt Microcenter, or any retailer for that matter, would be willing to take a 900+ dollar loss on a product, even if it had to do with honoring an AD price. You'd have to buy a lot of stuff there to make up the $900 loss they would incur.
 
It's not that weird or unusual for a company, you don't make money by offending customers, taking a one time hit on a pricing error BUT getting good word of mouth going is definately worth it. Look at the positive pub they'll get from this one customer. Sounds like good business to me...
 
I shit you not guys. I have no reason to lie about this. I will be selling it on here for cheap as soon as I receive it. I will have pictures and everything. It is OEM , but not like anyone cares. Yes its hard to beleive, but if you guys want I will call back tomorrow to have them email me a receipt since they never sent me one because on my email I accidentally put .cmo instead of .com lol. I'll post a screenshot on here.

I can't even believe it myself, its so crazy. It's like $900 for free.......

I was thinking about ordering more, but i bet they wouldn't have honored more than one.
 
Got E6600 at fry's for $235 and thought that was cheap. BTW stores hold the right to not honor the advertised price if it was a misprint. Been told that twice on plasma tv's in the ad that had crazy low prices.
 
janitor53 said:
It's not that weird or unusual for a company, you don't make money by offending customers, taking a one time hit on a pricing error BUT getting good word of mouth going is definately worth it. Look at the positive pub they'll get from this one customer. Sounds like good business to me...

They dont care about one person like that, your speaking like a small buisness owner.
 
I seen grocery stores mislabel meat before and they have honored the price. I got a ton of ribeyes for like .49. Of course thats not a 900+ dollar loss. But hey if the manager says sale it for that then its on his/her head.
 
The local grocery store was charging 49c for a 12pack of coke, rather than 4.99 ;).

22 12 packs later...
 
darkangel74 said:
I seen grocery stores mislabel meat before and they have honored the price. I got a ton of ribeyes for like .49. Of course thats not a 900+ dollar loss. But hey if the manager says sale it for that then its on his/her head.

Around here, there is a protection against price errors and if you find a error on a product, you will get the item free. I happened to order a frozen box of chicken ribs and 1 row is priced 7.99$ and another 8.99$ even if it is the same item, same item code and same flavour. I picked the 7.99$ row, watched in the checkout line the price, ringed 8.99$, raised the flag on the error and upon checking, it's free :D

But for 1$ for this CPU, It's unbelievable but if only 2-3 ordered it, I would believe they will honor it and chalk up the loss into publicity spendings.
 
Xilikon said:
Around here, there is a protection against price errors and if you find a error on a product, you will get the item free. I happened to order a frozen box of chicken ribs and 1 row is priced 7.99$ and another 8.99$ even if it is the same item, same item code and same flavour. I picked the 7.99$ row, watched in the checkout line the price, ringed 8.99$, raised the flag on the error and upon checking, it's free :D

But for 1$ for this CPU, It's unbelievable but if only 2-3 ordered it, I would believe they will honor it and chalk up the loss into publicity spendings.

Had I known about the error, I would have ordered 12. However in Texas, there is no such protection from the consumer. The retailers have notices in their ads and on the websites, as well as in the stores claiming no responsibility for pricing errors.
 
I'll wait to call shens or BS until we hear more on this. Everybody who's said a company won't take a loss of 900 bucks obviously doesn't understand that just because the company THEY work for screws people when that company makes a mistake of that sort, but not every company is like that and I've worked for more then a few where this kinda thing HAS happened. I'll reserve judgement of the truth of this when either we see pics of the sales slip and the chip beside it, or the OP starts posting a ton of excuses why he can't.
 
moshpit said:
I'll wait to call shens or BS until we hear more on this. Everybody who's said a company won't take a loss of 900 bucks obviously doesn't understand that just because the company THEY work for screws people when that company makes a mistake of that sort, but not every company is like that and I've worked for more then a few where this kinda thing HAS happened. I'll reserve judgement of the truth of this when either we see pics of the sales slip and the chip beside it, or the OP starts posting a ton of excuses why he can't.

As someone earlier pointed out, it could be that they will go ahead and let it slide for a couple of people that ordered at that price. If it were hundreds or thousands of orders, there is no way that any company that isn't managed by retards would lose that much money, not even to make customers happy. The bottom line is what matters most and there is no way a company is going to take a hit of $900 or more for a few hundred or a few thousand CPU orders. It just isn't going to happen.

I've worked retail and I've seen stranger things happen than what the original poster is claiming. I am not saying I believe the original poster either. I'd require proof before saying, "some dude on the [H[ forum managed to get an X6800 processor for $1.00."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top