I goofed on XP license...

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
I built my new rig and used my original XP cd (legal and all that), installed, updated, and activated, well, I moved my former rig to my 6yr old son's room...and forgot about it. Well...now his OS de-activated hahahah...when an online update was scheduled...DOH! So now I have to get another license and do an in place upgrade to get it going again...

And no, I am not getting an illegal version...that machine has ALL of my movies, MP3's, family pictures, software downloads, emails, etc., on it. I need it legal and online....

Poor kid, he can't play his online Far Cry until I update his rig. So he keeps getting on mine :rolleyes:

TheRapture said:
I built my new rig and used my original XP cd (legal and all that), installed, updated, and activated, well, I moved my former rig to my 6yr old son's room...and forgot about it. Well...now his OS de-activated hahahah...when an online update was scheduled...DOH! So now I have to get another license and do an in place upgrade to get it going again...

And no, I am not getting an illegal version...that machine has ALL of my movies, MP3's, family pictures, software downloads, emails, etc., on it. I need it legal and online....

Poor kid, he can't play his online Far Cry until I update his rig. So he keeps getting on mine :rolleyes:

You let a 6yr old play Far Cry? lol

If it really is a legal version, you can call microsoft and they will reactivate it for you.

icthus13 said:
If it really is a legal version, you can call microsoft and they will reactivate it for you.
Except for the fact, that as I understand from his post, he has a copy of Win XP installed using the same liscence number on his main rig. Not legal to install OS on more than one machine with a single cd key.

Hrm maybe he should be outside getting some exercise or making friends. Friggin 6 year old playing far cry wtf

Glow said:
Hrm maybe he should be outside getting some exercise or making friends. Friggin 6 year old playing far cry wtf

He also plays baseball...rides his dirtbike...goes to CCD...don't presume that you know how I am raising my child. :rolleyes:

RavenD said:
Except for the fact, that as I understand from his post, he has a copy of Win XP installed using the same liscence number on his main rig. Not legal to install OS on more than one machine with a single cd key.

Right...I "forgot" I had it installed on my original rig....

I have already bought another license...fixing to do an in plce upgrade on the old rig to get it current with the new legal key....

Like I said I was not stealing anything...jeesh :p

TheRapture said:
I built my new rig and used my original XP cd (legal and all that), installed, updated, and activated, well, I moved my former rig to my 6yr old son's room...and forgot about it. Well...now his OS de-activated hahahah...when an online update was scheduled...DOH!

Unless something triggered the activation and you couldn't get it to activate. I call BS on your story since MS does not "deactivate" licenses or the OS during an automatic update.

From your post it sounds more like you already know what you have to do, so are you asking for help for something or merely posting this as "information"?

SJConsultant said:
Unless something triggered the activation and you couldn't get it to activate. I call BS on your story since MS does not "deactivate" licenses or the OS during an automatic update.

From your post it sounds more like you already know what you have to do, so are you asking for help for something or merely posting this as "information"?

I call BS on you. Sorry to spoil your parade, but for whatever reason, when I went to log on to the old rig in my son's room....it says "do you want to activate now" etc., since that rig has had the exact same OS installed for almost a year (since right after QCon 2004), from my legal cdrom I got FROM microsoft for being on the XP beta team, it WAS indeed activated a looooong time ago....and now it won't work. So whatever you think, keep on thinking. :p

I had went to run some updates since I had not done it in a while...the Genuine dealio thing came up and I went with it, not thinking, and only then did it come back "no good" (don't remember the exact wording). No activation reminder or anything showed up, and after a reboot, the above explanation happened....get over yourself, I have been a long time member here and use legal OS installs, sorry, perhaps YOU are the one that uses illegal copies since you seem to know so much about it...

TheRapture said:
I had went to run some updates since I had not done it in a while...the Genuine dealio thing came up and I went with it, not thinking, and only then did it come back "no good" (don't remember the exact wording). No activation reminder or anything showed up, and after a reboot, the above explanation happened....get over yourself, I have been a long time member here and use legal OS installs, sorry, perhaps YOU are the one that uses illegal copies since you seem to know so much about it...
I'm sorry but I have to agree with SJConsultant....

There is no way (or no precedent for that matter) where MS has "deactivated" an installed OS thru windows updates...

Something must have triggered the activation...

Perharps your smart son (he plays FarCry at 6 people, I could barely speak at that age... :D) did some changes he's not telling you about..

Hmm...that's true, Windows wont just deactivate if sitting there for a while...the only reason it would deactivate is if you freshly installed Windows and didn't activate it in the 30 day period you have...even then it wouldn't deactivate, it would go into reduced functionality mode, where you couldn't create/duplicate files, tons of options are removed/etc etc etc, it's basically read only...something smells fishy here...I am NOT jumping to conclusions, I'm only exploring the possiblities... ;)

I told it like it happened. If I was a liar and using an illegal OS, I sure would not post it here. The machine had been on the net for almost an entire year.

I can see my typing is falling on deaf (and mostly ignorant) ears...so I am done with this thread. Go crap on someone else's thread, I was trying to have a mature discussion about something odd happening to me and of course, the llama flamers come out like mushrooms in cow shit....

chinoquezada said:
Perharps your smart son (he plays FarCry at 6 people, I could barely speak at that age... :D) did some changes he's not telling you about..

Don't insult me or my son...and yes, kids are indeed at a bit higher level now at age 6, than they were 29 years ago when I was 6....

Read my above post, please rapture, it is very true, what I have written, Windows simplymcan't be deactivated like that..again, I'm not jumping to conclusions, but, it just doesn't all fit together. In your original post you weren't asking for help,at least not out loud...it seems more like you were trying to be smart about it and have someone help you without it seeming obvious, does anyone else agree? Again, I may be wrong.....and, please everyone, stay on topic and STOP talking about his fucking son, not only is it VERY insulting, but people kill over things like that! ;) Plus is damn annoying to hear "you let you son......?" bla bla bla, get over it.

TheRapture said:
Don't insult me or my son...and yes, kids are indeed at a bit higher level now at age 6, than they were 29 years ago when I was 6....
Whoa, drop your shields...

I actually meant it, maybe he did change something?

If you google around there are a bunch of programs that trigger the reactivation. And they aren't really hidden at all...

We are saying this because what happened to you has no precedent of ever happening to anyone here. (or anyone I know for that matter...) At least in the way you think it happenned...

Didnt mean anything bad about your son. I actually thinks its great for him to play so young. Hell, I grant 30% of my intelligence to the fact I played computer games when young...

I'm not exactly sure what the point of this thread is. Are you asking for help with your situation? Are you just posting your experience? Your first post doesn't really explain what the thread is here for so you can't really blame people for taking the thread in interesting directions.

For those complaining about "Deactivation", have you thought that perhaps it wasn't actually deactivation, but rather the inability to install updates? With the new "Genuine Microsoft Product" checker, if you try to validate an individual license more then once for updates, it will die the second time (as the new System ID doesn't match the already validated System ID).

And while, yes, there is an easy work around to it, this guy sounds like he is legit about keeping things... well, legit. Which I give him props for... keeps new software coming our way.

Ok, how much you willing to bet...BET...MSoft doesnt auto-deactivate licenses and cause a "want activate" dialog?

Because I have a rock solid test to PROVE it.

So how much? Lets put your $$ where your mouth's are.

TheRapture said:
Right...I "forgot" I had it installed on my original rig....

I have already bought another license...fixing to do an in plce upgrade on the old rig to get it current with the new legal key....

Like I said I was not stealing anything...jeesh :p

just do that and you will be fine....the genuine advantage will not deactivate your xp..like said above only a reinstall or change of mobo will need a reactivate...just do what you said above and drop this thread

No, dont drop the thread.

I was about to post a new thread asking about this very thing.....as I triggered it myself and said...WTF.

Here is the way it trigger for me.....

I have a A64 system with 2x36G Raptor's in Raid0 with XPpro installed. I also have a 200G IDE drive with a 80G partition set up as another identical XPpro install with the same license.... this is RETAIL XPpro. It is installed (TWICE) on the same machine.

Ive had this setup like this for months, and had a similar arrangement on my NF2/Athlon setup for 2 YEARS. Never ever had a problem with it. Nothing in the EULA forbids this arrangement, ONE MACHINE... SAME MACHINE... and no HW changes or driver changes of any kind in the last 2 months.

I do it so I have a backup XP install on the system incase the raid gets hurt but is fixable. Much better than using a boot CD. I also use the IDE based XP install to run Virtual PC....as it has yet to work correctly with Raid arrays.

Lets NOT go into raid arrays, good/bad/ etc or any other sidetracking BS.

After the last batch of windowsupadate, I switched to boot from the IDE setup to add the new updates to it....keeping them both uptodate, etc. When I was suddenly confronted with "Hey how about we activate your windows?"..... WTF.

Now if I actiivate the IDE install the SATA raid install gets DE-activated automatically... and vice-versa. Even UNPLUGGING the IDE after activation, then reactivating the RAID and then polugging in the IDE... DEACTIVATES the IDE again.

Simple fact is MSoft snuck in a change in activation with NO public announcement, no heads up, etc. I re-reaad the EULA and cant find anything forbiding the same XP install on the same system on two drives...both drives of which always remain in the system, etc, etc.

Sure the install on raid keys C: volumeID off the raid, while the IDE install keys off the Maxtor IDE volumeID, but are otherwise identical.

SO the OP is not on drugs, not giving you all BS, he stumbled on something new that bit him. And it is real and easily reproduced.

redwolfe3 said:
For those complaining about "Deactivation", have you thought that perhaps it wasn't actually deactivation, but rather the inability to install updates? With the new "Genuine Microsoft Product" checker, if you try to validate an individual license more then once for updates, it will die the second time (as the new System ID doesn't match the already validated System ID).
TheRapture said:
when I went to log on to the old rig in my son's room....it says "do you want to activate now" etc.,
Read the entire thread or at least the important parts of it... :rolleyes:

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx said:
Now if I actiivate the IDE install the SATA raid install gets DE-activated automatically... and vice-versa. Even UNPLUGGING the IDE after activation, then reactivating the RAID and then polugging in the IDE... DEACTIVATES the IDE again.
I think the OP said that the only thing he did was run some updates on his system. And I doubt he has such complicated arrengements on the PC he's describing...

There is something fishy here, nonetheless...

I would really wish the OP could share some more light on this. It would really be interesting to find out what triggered such deactivation as he is describing...

Well some of my less scrupulous friends have illegal copies of xp pro. I was sitting there right with them when they went to update a few weeks ago and the windows genuine validation tool flat out said "This is an illegal copy of windows" (not exactly in those words) and nothing happened to their machines. True they couldn't install updates...until they got the work around on other less scrupulous sites as well. I'm still waiting for the "test" that "proves" that this is real. All I've been reading are anecdotes. If somebody can tell me how I can set this off in my computer, I'll try it. I have a legal copy and will go through the hassle of reactivating if it will prove a point or at least get to the bottom of things.

I too am confused as to the point of the OP. This sounds like a GenMay thread where someone is just posting an experince they had.

So you installed the OS on two machines and now you can't activate it; and you already know that you need to buy another license.

*Gives TheRapture a pat on the back*

Good job.

:confused:

Replicant1911 said:
If somebody can tell me how I can set this off in my computer, I'll try it. I have a legal copy and will go through the hassle of reactivating if it will prove a point or at least get to the bottom of things.
Here you go. Right off google.

Now:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents

4. In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.

5. Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.

You should notice that this is easily doable with a .exe or .reg and the necesary admin rights on any computer...

TheRapture said:
sorry, perhaps YOU are the one that uses illegal copies since you seem to know so much about it...

I know so much about licensing because my job requires it. :rolleyes:

There is no such thing as "deactivation", merely you must reactivate because for some reason or another a "significant change" was detected on the system. Normally you have a time period in which you can still access the system before activation is required.

There have been some known premature triggers, but to simply blame MS for "deactivating" the system is utter BS. If MS was in the business of deactivating software, don't you think they'd already be doing that to known pirated systems?

What happened when you tried to reactivate? or did you not try?

I've had this happen before, I went to go update my parents computer and it was telling me I had to reactivate windows. So i called them and reactivated it. The woman asked me some questions to make sure I wasn't scamming her. I thought it was ridicolous that I had to reactivate when all I did was unhook a cd drive.. :(

On mine....I can either have the raid array activated OR the IDE. If I try to activate the second, it DE-activates the first. Even if I UNPLUG the #1, and then boot and activate the #2, as soon as I reconnect the #1 and boot it, it comes up DE-activated.

NONE of this happened until that last set of windowsupdate critical update stuff came out.

This system was running for 2 months ... June-some-of-August... without issue and with the ability to boot from either install, sata-raid or IDE. Also I ran the same setup for 2 YEARS on my NForce2 system previous to switching to A64 in June, without issue.

This is totally reproducable, simply get a SATA drive and an IDE drive and use any NF2/NF3/NF4 system that allows you to boot from either sata based disk or IDE based disk. Setup Windows on each, and activate. Get totally uptodate with all the latest updates etc from windows update, do WGA, etc etc. Test it for yourself.

Its not endoftheworld for me, just takes away a convenient backup safety plan for my OS install. I havent actually had anything go wrong with my sataraid array since I stopped using the D10 bios's on my NF7-S years ago,

But when I read the OP's post it struck me as a similar situation... the same license install on two "systems" and suddenly ONE of them is getting DE-activated after the latest windowsupdate. His case is a bit diff, same license but actually seperate machines.

PS: I use VirtualPC and have a seperate XP license for that and it is fine on the VPC I have set up on the IDE.

But the real inconvenience for me is that the VPC doesnt get along with sataraid arrays and so I wanted to stick with boot IDE, run on IDE and not bother trying to sort out the raid ramifications of VPC.

I used XP-INFO to check and BOTH installs report "Fully Licensed" so WHY it would think it wasn't is beyond me, all checkboxes are checked as OK.

SO.... please Appel, knock off the BS and just ship TigerX for all PC's, Im sure the addon makers will jump in with drivers asap. Then we can say BuhBYE to this XP nonsense.

Replicant1911 said:
Well some of my less scrupulous friends have illegal copies of xp pro. I was sitting there right with them when they went to update a few weeks ago and the windows genuine validation tool flat out said "This is an illegal copy of windows" (not exactly in those words) and nothing happened to their machines. True they couldn't install updates...until they got the work around on other less scrupulous sites as well. I'm still waiting for the "test" that "proves" that this is real. All I've been reading are anecdotes. If somebody can tell me how I can set this off in my computer, I'll try it. I have a legal copy and will go through the hassle of reactivating if it will prove a point or at least get to the bottom of things.

you do not need to get one of those programs off those sites...i personally think they are viruses...the way around the validations is built into internet explorer
but i cant tell how on these forums...even though its not illegal
the ONLY time i really see reactivation necessary is when i put in a new mobo...i have never seen activation needed after an update...and i do windows updates on many machines every day here
now i personally am not calling you a liar because people have done things to win98 and it asked for me to reenter their key...but they always say its because i installed a game or something
so like i said b4....just call and reactivate it over the phone
it takes prolly about 10 mins and you might get to talk to some hot foreign chic
:D

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx there is no need to reproduce your post since the OPs system is a single HDD system and resembles nothing like your situation.

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx said:
Simple fact is MSoft snuck in a change in activation with NO public announcement, no heads up, etc. I re-reaad the EULA and cant find anything forbiding the same XP install on the same system on two drives...both drives of which always remain in the system, etc, etc.

Speaking of which, you are violating the EULA by having two installs on the same computer. The following section of the EULA clearly states you may only *install one copy* on a single computer.

Installation and use. You may install, use, access,display and run one copy of the SOFTWARE on the COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated on the COA.

I3roknI3ottle said:
I've had this happen before, I went to go update my parents computer and it was telling me I had to reactivate windows. So i called them and reactivated it. The woman asked me some questions to make sure I wasn't scamming her. I thought it was ridiculous that I had to reactivate when all I did was unhook a cd drive.. :(

Thanks, glad you posted it has happened to you as well. Some of these guys think they know everything, and fail to realize they ain't jack-squat, and don't get told everything, and that they might have missed something new....I am telling you....when I go to log on....it asks me, "do I want to activate windows now because the time limit is out" stuff....after I had ALREADY activated it about 11 months prior. If I try to say "yes lets activate now" then I get the screen which says I must call into the assistance line and talk to a customer representative. If I answer "no blah blah blah" it acts like it is going o shutdown and then drops out to a dark blue screen (like a desktop, not a BSOD) and sits there with no icons or taskbar.

Now, this happened AFTER I had installed the same LEGAL cdrom of XP Pro onto a second machine and then ACTIVATED it via the net. Take it for what it is worth. I am not lying, and quite frankly, some of you guys (you know who you are) can take a flying leap.

SJConsultant said:
I know so much about licensing because my job requires it. :rolleyes:

There is no such thing as "deactivation", merely you must reactivate because for some reason or another a "significant change" was detected on the system. Normally you have a time period in which you can still access the system before activation is required.

I would think that if an OS had been activated....and then say, you shut it down....changed out the mobo, hard drive, cpu, cdrom, etc., then reinstalled and tried to activate.....don't you think MS would consider that a "significant change" of some kind and ask for reactivation? Basically it "saw" a new machine (or a large component swap), I do not know all of that stuff...

There have been some known premature triggers, but to simply blame MS for "deactivating" the system is utter BS. If MS was in the business of deactivating software, don't you think they'd already be doing that to known pirated systems?

Maybe I have a rare and almost unheard of "trigger" because maybe, just maybe, that MS might not have accounted for oh, all of the severalseveral hundred millions or maybe, billions, of component and software configurations. Oh wait...that's right, MS never ever, made a mistake eh? And I guess, neither did you...until now that is.

Speaking of which, you are violating the EULA by having two installs on the same computer. The following section of the EULA clearly states you may only *install one copy* on a single computer.

Read the original post, a couple times maybe. I stated it was the same OS on TWO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS......it had TWO copies going on DIFFERENT computers. Not the SAME computer....

Something I don't understand... is XP-Home different from XP-Pro? In deference to activation I mean...

Nothing the thread originator posted makes sense to me. I have an OEM (though legal) install set for XP-Pro. Im looking at it right this second.. and the pretty label plainly says:

"Windows XP Professional 1-2 CPU OEM Product "

This clearly indicates it is good for up to 2 different CPU configurations (be they within the same box or seperate boxs). Aren't all legal installs of Windows like this? My 98SE was the same as well.

Also.. the ONLY thing I've read about deactivation involvolves some Activation Key transfers from previous installs being invalidated during the installation of SP2. My only personal experience with Activation difficulty started about 2 years ago and ended recently.

I like to do fresh full formats and installs every 8-12 months, but about a year of using XP-Pro and getting into a fresh run I found automatica activation would fail, and they would make me call the number and pound buttons for 20 minutes before giving me a godamn code that I could use to activate. This continued thru SP1 as well.

I don't know if the Activation protocals have been revamped, or if the inclusion of SP2 into the mix addressed the issue, but Auto activation works again for me and thankfully I don't have to pound buttons and speak numbers and letters 'clearly' any more (pant)

Some programs (like Tweak-XP) let you save your current Activation Key for later use incase you do another fresh install. They don't work under SP2 though.

Any ideas on if my copy of XP-Pro is specially authorised for 2 CPU's or if thats standard?

I've had a copy 'deactivate' on me a few times.. but it was my fault as I am CONSTANTLY screwing with my system configuration (Yanking drives, changing components, adding or removing additionals...)

In any case Auto Updates are off, remote access is off.. and I don't send info, data, or reports of any kind to MS. I prefer to use Norton SystemWorks 2005 Primier as my protection, and have never installed a security update other then SP1 & SP2.

OMG...

Ok. Let me sort this out.

TheRapture said:
Read the original post, a couple times maybe. I stated it was the same OS on TWO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS......it had TWO copies going on DIFFERENT computers. Not the SAME computer....
Look back at the post SJConsultant made, he wasnt refering to you...
Maybe it should be you who has to read "your" thread a couple of times... :rolleyes:

TheRapture said:
I3roknI3ottle said:
I've had this happen before, I went to go update my parents computer and it was telling me I had to reactivate windows. So i called them and reactivated it. The woman asked me some questions to make sure I wasn't scamming her. I thought it was ridiculous that I had to reactivate when all I did was unhook a cd drive.. :(

Thanks, glad you posted it has happened to you as well. Some of these guys think they know everything, and fail to realize they ain't jack-squat, and don't get told everything, and that they might have missed something new....I am telling you....when I go to log on....it asks me, "do I want to activate windows now because the time limit is out" stuff....after I had ALREADY activated it about 11 months prior. If I try to say "yes lets activate now" then I get the screen which says I must call into the assistance line and talk to a customer representative. If I answer "no blah blah blah" it acts like it is going o shutdown and then drops out to a dark blue screen (like a desktop, not a BSOD) and sits there with no icons or taskbar.
What most probably happened to I3roknI3ottle is that he reset/modified the mobos cmos when he turn the computer and PSU off to remove the cd drive he is talking about.
And sometimes reseting/modifying the cmos confuses your windows install into believing you changed your mobo.

there you go, some jack-squat just for you :cool:

TheRapture if you really wanna know what happened to the computer. (i know i do...) boot into safe mode and obtain a copy of the Event Viewer Log...

DoggyDaddi said:
Any ideas on if my copy of XP-Pro is specially authorised for 2 CPU's or if thats standard?
Standard.

DoggyDaddi said:
In any case Auto Updates are off, remote access is off.. and I don't send info, data, or reports of any kind to MS. I prefer to use Norton SystemWorks 2005 Primier as my protection, and have never installed a security update other then SP1 & SP2.
4.1 Norton is bloatware
4.2 Norton is not God, without Windows Updates you are sure to catch something sooner or later.
4.3 Norton's Firewall (if Systemworks comes with any, don't really remember) isnt good. You would be better off with Windows One.
4.4 Follow the linky and for God's sake update your system... :eek:

chinoquezada said:
4.1 Norton is bloatware

Says You :p .. I love Systemworks and 2005 Premier is the Bee's Knees

4.2 Norton is not God, without Windows Updates you are sure to catch something sooner or later.

I continue to update Norton regularly, and it addresses all the security isuess that don't have anything to do with Internet Explorer OR Outlook Or any one of the hundreds of MS Products I don't use.

4.3 Norton's Firewall (if Systemworks comes with any, don't really remember) isnt good. You would be better off with Windows One.

Again.. says you, obviously you don't know anything about it, or you woudln't be amending with "If it comes with it". It is neither intrusive nor dispruptive, while being very very effective. best yet, It breaks nor renders useless a single installed program while in use... something Windows Newest Firewall can't claim, as Ive watched it happen on other peoples boxs.

4.4 Follow the linky and for God's sake update your system... :eek:

The security patches are a joke at Windows Update... rather then re-write the programs at risk, the company applies layer after layer of ammending code, much like spackle that gets laid on too thick. Eventually it cracks, so the company just slathers on another fresh layer. Eventually the surface cannot maintain the weight of the accumulated mass and it all falls apart. Those endless security updates are actually crashing and breaking MS's own programs.. so no thanks...

I use:

Norton Systemworks 2005 Premier
Ace Utilities 2.4.1.3095 (reged)
Ad-Aware SE Professional 1.06 (reged)
Tweak-XP Pro 4.0.5 (reged)
SpySubtract Pro 2.61 (reged)
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3

The most MS is getting me to install of their crap is SP1 & SP2.. thats it.. and I ONLY added SP2 because it has that nice online update search for driver refreshing.

Everything else gets you a big FAT raspberry!! PBPBPBPBBPBBBBLLLTTT!!!! :p

Ok.. ok.. I installed Media Player 10 tewwwwwwww :rolleyes:

DoggyDaddi said:
Says You :p .. I love Systemworks and 2005 Premier is the Bee's Knees

I continue to update Norton regularly, and it addresses all the security isuess that don't have anything to do with Internet Explorer OR Outlook Or any one of the hundreds of MS Products I don't use.

Again.. says you, obviously you don't know anything about it, or you woudln't be amending with "If it comes with it". It is neither intrusive nor dispruptive, while being very very effective. best yet, It breaks nor renders useless a single installed program while in use... something Windows Newest Firewall can't claim, as Ive watched it happen on other peoples boxs.

The security patches are a joke at Windows Update... rather then re-write the programs at risk, the company applies layer after layer of ammending code, much like spackle that gets laid on too thick. Eventually it cracks, so the company just slathers on another fresh layer. Eventually the surface cannot maintain the weight of the accumulated mass and it all falls apart. Those endless security updates are actually crashing and breaking MS's own programs.. so no thanks...

I use:

Norton Systemworks 2005 Premier
Ace Utilities 2.4.1.3095 (reged)
Ad-Aware SE Professional 1.06 (reged)
Tweak-XP Pro 4.0.5 (reged)
SpySubtract Pro 2.61 (reged)
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3

The most MS is getting me to install of their crap is SP1 & SP2.. thats it.. and I ONLY added SP2 because it has that nice online update search for driver refreshing.

Everything else gets you a big FAT raspberry!! PBPBPBPBBPBBBBLLLTTT!!!! :p

Ok.. ok.. I installed Media Player 10 tewwwwwwww :rolleyes:
1. You do know you are using almost 50-70MB of RAM in just norton right. And that there is software that does the same (and most better, think NOD32 or Antivir..) using roughly 5MB
2. What software gets rendered useless by Windows Firewall pray tell...?
3. Code doesnt get applied in layers...
Updates make changes in the already existing code. Its not like putting a band aid on. Its more like making you invulnerable to a type of fall...
4. You really should get the updates, for your own good...
5. If you have MS so much you could have gotten a number of GNU released media players (BS or Media Player Classic are favorities around...)

6. I didnt get the Raspberry thing. But then again its late and I'm studying for my finals...

Back