I figured this board would be filled answers

daveatx

Weaksauce
2196944061.png

I figured this board would be filled with people who could answer this for me. I have some pretty decent Japanese internet and yet I still have issues loading some american websites like Facebook/Steam/imgur/mangafox/usaa.com

I play games like Dota2/Guild Wars2 on west coast servers with around 150-177ms ping, and my ping to the east coast is around 196ms. What could be causing the issue of timing out on these sites?

I'm using a 1Gbps wired connection via my router set up with PPPOE user/pw and auto-assigned dns.

Last edited:
What is your ping to those sites when you are timing out? I bet you can still ping them, even if you cannot load them.

My service in Afghanistan has issues with HTTPS traffic. All of the sites you listed use HTTPS to provide a secure account. At the same time that you are having trouble with those sites, can you open a normal, non-secure site?

Just because you have good connection locally wont mean that the connection across the Pacific Ocean will be good. Your dealing with a very long distance. Who noes what kind of routers/firewalls and cables you have to go threw to get a connection to America. Unfortunately ping is related to distance.

What is your ping to those sites when you are timing out? I bet you can still ping them, even if you cannot load them.

usaa. reply from 167.24.21.4 btyes=32 time 148ms TTL=237
0% loss
minimum 148, maximum 149

ping mangafox reply from 37.1.144.155 time = 306 TTL=45
0% loss
minimum=289ms, max=306ms

ping imgur.com [23.23.110.58]
request timed out.
(whats weird is that I can see the thumbnails on reddit from imgur, just not the image linked from it)

ping steampowered.com 208.64.202.68
time=137ms 0% loss
I connect to steam (very quickly), I download from steam at 9-10MB/s, I play and message on steam. I can't buy from store because it won't load, and I can't see community profiles.

facebook, my computer cant load facebook completely. alot of the images/css wont load. My iphone.ipad both load facebook fine with the facebook app.
I mean... something is definitely up. distance or not.

I don't think its a https issue, because I can get some websites to load in https including a server in canada as well as some of my private community websites. Mangafox is also a public nonhttps site.

Last edited:
I can't ping imgur.com either. I assume they have ping replies disabled on their firewall.

Maybe you have, but since you didn't mention it, did you try another PC? Another browser? Another firewall/router if you have one?

1Gbit using PPPoE is a lot to handle, does your router actually cope with that kind of traffic?
//Danne

I deal with lots of overseas ISPs and they normally have 2 speed figures, one inside the country and one to outside of the country.

ping is not a good measure of latency. routers process icmp packets differently than other packets that you would be using for gaming

so I configured a openvpn on my server, rerouted my traffic though the east coast and with its help 100Mbps(1.5TB upload/month metered) I can load all those websites I couldn't before. I wonder how far that will get me though. I'm going to start looking for a unmetered server(100GB storage) soon.

What are you using for the other end of the tunnel? Are you using some sort of purchased service?

Your traffic was being filtered at some point, maybe at the company servers. I wouldn't believe that could be an issue coming from Japan. Now your traffic appears to come from a US site so you aren't being filtered. Interesting.

What are you using for the other end of the tunnel? Are you using some sort of purchased service?

Your traffic was being filtered at some point, maybe at the company servers. I wouldn't believe that could be an issue coming from Japan. Now your traffic appears to come from a US site so you aren't being filtered. Interesting.

My seedbox from whatbox.ca. It has 300Mbps up/down and 100MB storage for ftp/remote ui seeding/video streaming & vpn. I've been really happy with them so far, and I keep finding more reasons to keep my service.

instead of doing a speedtest inside japan pick a US server

instead of doing a speedtest inside japan pick a US server

Ding Ding Ding!

Please keep in mind your network traffic is transversing one of only a few fiber lines under the ocean. expect latency.

2215928573.png

This is my speed test from Tokyo -> LA

2215933433.png

Tokyo-> Palo Alto

2215935871.png

Tokyo -> NY,NY

So I did a tracert and apparently my entry point into the US is in New York as opposed to California? (http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/206.132.169.82)

5ms 5ms 5ms tky.009bf00.IIJ.net (58.138.80.17)
156ms 156ms 156ms sjc002bf02.IIJ.net (206.132.169.109)

This is all getting very confusing. How do I get better results in LA then New York? o_O
Below is a tracert to facebook (I can't get it to load [ Facebook is in Palo Alto/ My fastest speed ] ) and a tracert to my VPN which is allowing me to reach websites.

tracert.png

Last edited:
Another thing to do would be to do an actual file transfer instead of a "Speed test" The speed tests don't actually test your available bandwidth fully.

I've found that using something like this, http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html, to be a better test of real world speed. You will need a way to monitor bandwidth in real time or near real time though.

This looks similar although I haven't used it personally, http://testmy.net/.

Out of curiousity, have you tried accessing those pages, not through apps, on your iPad or iPhone?

This is all getting very confusing. How do I get better results in LA then New York? o_O
Below is a tracert to facebook (I can't get it to load [ Facebook is in Palo Alto/ My fastest speed ] ) and a tracert to my VPN which is allowing me to reach websites.

Your path from Japan to the US is not always the same. The routers that control the backbone of the internet will determine what links to send your traffic across based on all kinds of factors.

Out of curiousity, have you tried accessing those pages, not through apps, on your iPad or iPhone?

ofcourse, the iPad/iPhone can't do any of the pages I mentioned. I packaged a vpn into my iphone's jailbreak to get it to work, but I still need to do it for my wife's ipad.

My router is only broadcasting 10Mbps :[, but the wired is doing the correct speed.
laptop: killer n-1105, ipad, iphone3GS

What DNS servers do you have configured? Try using US ones like level 3 (4.2.2.1) or comcast if they let you. 75.75.75.75 Opendns may work 208.67.220.220 but I'm not sure if it would pick a DNS server in your area. I would imagine google's dns would probably resolve to a local dns server.

Back