I felt compelled to post this

2k3eblade

Gawd
I saw a tweet on linus tech tips of your oldest "custom" video card that you own which turned into posting your oldest video cards owned. Lets see your classic video card collection!

imag4370.jpg

I have some Tseng ISA-bus dual vga card lying at home...just for the lulz.

No pic as I am on vacation though.

I threw all my old cards out years ago, wish I kept them now.

The oldest card that I now own would be a 8800gtx, kept merely for emergency backup situations but which is virtually useless now due to cpu’s having onboard video, but I will keep it anyway.

I also had isa based video cards from the very early 90s and then onto pci, agp and finally what we use today pci-e x3

In your picture, I see s3 virge, i had a good few cards that had that stamped on them in the mid to late 90s if i recall.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, nice! I had an old ISA VGA card too from a while back. I remember when AGP first came out!

I have a couple of the VooDoo2 cards. I am going to ask they bury me with them. That was my first WOW moment with gpus.

lol, nice! I had an old ISA VGA card too from a while back. I remember when AGP first came out!
I remember when ISA moved from 8 bit to 16bit !
I knew as soon as I threw out a boxes of old hardware this week that I would regret it.
Boom, thread on old gfx cards.

There may be a few left somewhere, gonna have a look...

nice collection.. i think i still have a voodoo banshee and maybe a radeon 7500 laying around in one of my many old hardware boxes. might also have my old nvidia ti4600 but not sure.

I was forced to chuck about 80% of my junk to free a room up, so much time was spent deliberating that I just thought sod it, it can all go.
I found 2 left along with an 8800GTX I wont post here.

A Vesa Local Bus Cirrus Logic 5428
And the original Voodoo card.
Old gfx cards.jpg

The oldest vga card I have is a videologic ET6000 based card, just been playing with it this weekend trying to get my old gateway P90 to boot. The machine won't boot to anything other than an A:\ dos prompt but the card works - not bad for 22 years old

20180218_163320_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Why would you collect old video cards? When they're old they're also inadequate. They're junk. So they go out with the rest of the junk ... to the recycler.

Why would you collect old video cards? When they're old they're also inadequate. They're junk. So they go out with the rest of the junk ... to the recycler.
Nostalgia.
So I can build a retro PC.
In case anyone wants them for a project.

If you have the room, why not.

20180218_135027 copy.jpg

20180218_135204 copy.jpg

6600gt, 8500dv and 8800gtx (no pic) are the oldest I kept that aren't being used. Everything older that I had went to recycling last month, it was taking up too much space and the wife was starting to get annoyed with all the boxes.

Thanks for sharing you picture ya'll. Love that Orchid Righteous 3D voodoo 1 4mb!

They're not junk to me. If you were around the mid to late nineties you would know how much the 3D revolution had such a profound effect on PC gaming during that era. The voodoo series made me switch off console gaming for good.

I think the oldest card I have on me is a ATI 5850, don’t hold onto old hardware that much due to weight restrictions when moving.

Nice collection though.

crap3 005.jpg
I used to keep them around. But then I never used them for anything, so after a decade I started thinning out my collection.

I still have my Sierra Screaming 3D, which was a less-common Rendition v1000 card. Everything else not PCie has been tossed.

Got no old shit laying around. I sell my old cards/computer equipment. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I guess I should have taken photos of my first computer, built in 1980-1981. That was a built-from-scratch unit in a card-rack enclosure, using a Z80 processor. (It was already operational before the first DOS PC came out in August 1981.)

The "video card" was a custom-constructed board based on the Motorola 6840 video controller chip. The video was character-only monochrome fed to a modified 12" TV set, capable of 64 rows of 16 characters. No graphics.

If this were an antique contest then surely that would win the trophy.

But the computer was beyond obsolete thirty years ago, and it sat unused until my wife got fed up with all my "junk" in the garage. It went out with the trash perhaps 15 years ago. There are no pictures. :(

Sell thst old stuff at least! Don't toss it. One man's junk is another man's treasure!

At least try eBay for a bit first or craigslist.

Mine's been kept for a retro rig project that I am finally getting round to completing, I wasn't expecting anything to work after being idle for at least 10 years. This is the only old crap I have, if it dies it gets sold/dumped and if it still works it gets sold to someone who can make use of it

I have an old ATI 3d pro turbo laying around somewhere. It was the high end model with 8Mb of ram. As well as a voodoo1 and voodoo2 (monster 3d)

I think I still have an x800xt-pe with a Zalman cooler on it in my storage shed. It’s in an old Dell Dimension that used to belong to my ex. When I purchase my own home I’ll mess around with it again.

I think I still have an x800xt-pe with a Zalman cooler on it in my storage shed. It’s in an old Dell Dimension that used to belong to my ex. When I purchase my own home I’ll mess around with it again.

Now that actually was pretty rare. The x800 XP PE never shipped in more than teaser quantities, mostly for press releases and review sites. Like the x700 XT :D

Now that actually was pretty rare. The x800 XP PE never shipped in more than teaser quantities, mostly for press releases and review sites. Like the x700 XT :D

Shelling out $500 for it back then made my wallet die a little. :greedy:

I have an old ATI 3d pro turbo laying around somewhere. It was the high end model with 8Mb of ram. As well as a voodoo1 and voodoo2 (monster 3d)
I used to have all 3 also...Unfortunately, like many others here, I can't justify retro ( slower) gaming systems...I have either thrown them out or given them away...Doesn't mean that I don't remember how cool it was to game with them when they were cutting edge.

I recall I sent my Canopus Voodoo 2 video card to the recycling scrap yard for money. I shouldn't have sold it for scrap. I really regret that decision :(

Another time, I was at my friend's house and he was cleaning out his old hardware. He asked me if I wanted his AGP nvidia 6800 Ultra and I said no :( and he promptly dropped it in the trashcan :(. I had no idea that in a few more years, someone on this forum was willing to pay top dollar for one now.

I had a Canopus Pure 3D 1 during my Quake 1 days. I saw no value in it in 2003 and threw it in the garbage during a move.

And one more thing guys, always recycle your old electronics properly (if you can find a recycling center near you that pays you $$$ by weight). PCB's are very bad for the environment otherwise.

I have a number of cards still in my closet. Nothing super ancient. My oldest is probably my 6600GT. Also have a 6800GS and 6800 Ultra from the same time frame. Also have 7800 GS AGP, 7900GS, 7800GTX 512MB, 7900GTX, 3 8800GTS 640MB 1 is the evga SSC, 8800GTX, 2 9800 GT, GTX 280, HD 5850 Toxic, HD 7870, 2 HD 7950s. And an R9 Fury Nitro.

Had many others in the past that I have since sold or threw away.

I've got a voodoo2 and a couple of voodoo5's lying around. No use for them but can't seem to make myself let them go...Wish I still had my Diamond Monster3d, first time I fired up GLQuake on that was amazing.

I just sold a Voodoo 3 3500 (the one with the TV tuner) on eBay over the weekend. I still have 2x Diamond Monster Voodoo 2 12mb PCI w/ SLI cable, 1x Diamond Monster Voodoo 1 4mb PCI, Voodoo 3 3000 16mb AGP, Matrox G400 Max 32mb AGP, Matrox G450 16mb AGP, Matrox Parhelia 512 256mb AGP, and a Cirrus Logic PCI.

I recently sold my Canopus Voodoo 6mb PCI. That one came with a case badge sticker (I had it on my 17-in. CRT monitor) that said "I got a Canopus." Good memories.

The oldest card I ever installed in a PC was a generic ET4000 card. I installed it in an IBM PC AT, which had been tossed by a school nearby.

And then could think of nothing to do with it that I couldn't already do with my Windows 98 box, so I tossed it a couple years later.,

Back