I feel so ashamed...

Mr_Evil

2[H]4U
...because my friend Mike who doesn't know much, if anything about computers (at least compared to your average [H]er) is more of a case modder than I am. SERIOUSLY, he has this old 500Mhz K6 Compaq that he's not ONLY successfully relocated the Powersupply, he's also cut a hole for and installed an 80mm fan in the front of the case. The guy's a moddin machine! He's VERY fluent in auto body work so that might be part of his skills and I promise next time I'm at his apartment I'll take pics of his work. Does anyone else know of anyone like this? I reckon if I could give the guy some more ideas he could one day become REALLY great at modding. I mean the guy has all the principles of body work down and knows how to weld. I just feel so.... not [H]ard. What do you guys think? am I just being modest here? I repainted my Antec SX1030, cut my own side panel window for it. I cut new fan holes in my SFF PC and I even had an LCD mod for my LiLi going until I fried it and didn't have the money for another screen.

He's used to custom fabrication working in a body shop. That's a ton of fabricating skills right there. Working with bondo, fiberglass, dent repairs, prep and paint work.

I'm a mechanic, I have a bunch of buddies in body work. Their always making custom brackets fittings etc... for their own stuff. If you're really smart you'll have him teach you how to weld. It's a skill you'll always be glad you took the time to learn. I worked cleaning up in a metal fab shop when I was younger those guys made everything from their own tools to weld art.

I'm currently being taught how to MIG, TIG and stick weld. Still looks like metal bird crap but I'm getting better. That and it's fun. You learn that skill and the only limit to your metal fabricating skill's is your imagination.

Same here, I work at a garage/body shot, already done a few casemods involving soldering/Bondo/Fiberglass ( also fixed my probe's bumpers with some special organic epoxy component, that would do wonders on computer plastic parts like bezels ).

next step ( my current Bleeding Edge ) involves acelylene soldering of steel mesh on side pannels & some other funky bondo / paintjob ( including handmade aerograph painting )

You can take modding in any direction you want. Some people like to do metal-working (Cold Dog, if any of you remember him). Others like to work with plastic (CrimsonSky). If you're creative enough, you can take just about any material or skill set and use it for modding. Remember, think outside the (beige) box!

Mr Evil, I'd say you are too hung up on comparing yourself to others, if you feel "ashamed".
Teach him what you can, learn from him what you can. All the rest is bullshit.

turbine.jpg

rayra said:
Mr Evil, I'd say you are too hung up on comparing yourself to others, if you feel "ashamed".
Teach him what you can, learn from him what you can. All the rest is bullshit.
Bah! Why ya gotta be all profound? Now I feel all mushy.

Bastard!

Back