I feel really bad =[

Spike23

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, a buddy of mine wanted a new hardrive so we both went and bought a 160gb one. Afterwards we went to my house and being a good friend i was...and had some knowledge about computers i installed the HD. Though the windows Xp didn't detect beyonds 130 GIGs..so i thought the next thing to do was flash the bios with the newest updated one. After a bit of time i couldn't figure out how to update the bios and then i just took a diskette and made a ms-dos boot up and restarted the com. Now this part is where it gets bad.. =[
now the mobo is dead i think it keeps making the beeping noise non stop. I even read the manul and tried to refresh the CMOs and to no luck. So now i have to buy my friend a new mobo..and we decided to do 50/50. I just feel bad that i did something wrong without actually figuring it out properly. I think i should of checked how to make the windows detect beyond 130gigs in windows before trying to be a smart guy and update the bios..

So can agree my mistake was updating the bios incorrectly? Also if i want my friend's hd to be detected by windows above 130 gigs what should i have done. T_T sorry to make everyone feel bad for me. I am just an idiot. :(
I just read this http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026129864#post1026129864

I dunno about the BIOS thing~ goodluck with that one. I know to get the HD working you can probly just pickup a PCI ATA controller that should support larger HD's.

No good deed goes unpunished as the saying goes.

Did the machine already have SP2 installed? If so take a look here. If not and the machine is newer, installing it wouldve likely solved the problem.

dirtydr said:
No good deed goes unpunished as the saying goes.

Did the machine already have SP2 installed? If so take a look here. If not and the machine is newer, installing it wouldve likely solved the problem.

Nope my friend did not install SP2 =[
yea i think i might of rushed things and got myself in such a mess..

:(

Spike23 said:
Nope my friend did not install SP2 =[

Ouch. Well live and learn... it happens.

Since a windows reinstall is likely in order, maybe slipstream a SP2 installation CD and go for the new 160 as C: Should be a bit faster than whatever he was using before and you can save a bit of face with him if you are concerned with that :)

Cant help you with the P4 board. No experience with either but I'd trust via over sis for the chipset.

hey, what board is it? could you do a hotflash and get it up and running again? ive had to do it before, and it got me out of a jam of buying a new mobo. worth looking into for sure!!

Veedo said:
hey, what board is it? could you do a hotflash and get it up and running again? ive had to do it before, and it got me out of a jam of buying a new mobo. worth looking into for sure!!

Well its too late now i bought a new motherboard and i installed it today...though no screen!! I Checked it by taking out the ram, changing the graphic card, didn't plug the hardrive to see if it would work. No luck =[ no bios on boot up the computer sounds fine though, but nothing on screen i made sure all plugs were set properly i'd figure so. I went through a tough day and lastly i left it at a computer store to let the people look at it for me.
T_T i feel like shit i didn't accomplish nothing and on top of that my friend is prob pissed, but thats the least of my worries.. after all i did try to help him with good intentions and many times i helped him and i never screwed up.

Also if anyone could tell me how to get rid of the Boot up from selecting from Two Windows.
When i restart from my own computer i get like an option screen to pick either option windows xp 1 or 2. I went into Boot.ini an edited the command and it still is present everytime i start my computer. If anyone could help me with my current problem now that would be great. =[ its just not my day...i've had better days i know and i feel worst than yesterday.

run msconfig and go to the boot.ini tab

BE CAREFUL! screw up that ini and your hosed. ;)

Jason711 said:
run msconfig and go to the boot.ini tab

BE CAREFUL! screw up that ini and your hosed. ;)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Well this is what i have now
However when i boot up i still get the screen that tells me which windows to boot.
What else do i have to type to get rid of that screen and just boot up from my own computer.

hmm..

right click my computer and go to properties.

advanced tab.. and go to startup and recovery

deselect "time to display list of operating systems"

Jason711 said:
hmm..

Ok thanks i'll check it out

Hey guys i have a new problem that arised.

Finally fixed the computer with a complete new mobo its ok finally.
However My friend's orginal HD can the data be saved? What should i do now there is quite alot of information on it. The mobo is a different chipset so..

My question is basically what i should do to save the information?
Could i just pop it into my computer as a secondary and boot up windows just like that?

Jason711 said:
hmm..

hey i tried this and it disappeared but then i get another problem.
So then i press f8 get back into safe mode and enable it back again.

=[ You think you have any other suggestions?
It doesn't bug me too much , but if i could i'd like to get rid of it.

Spike23 said:
hey i tried this and it disappeared but then i get another problem.
So then i press f8 get back into safe mode and enable it back again.

=[ You think you have any other suggestions?
It doesn't bug me too much , but if i could i'd like to get rid of it.

What is the other problem? It is kind of hard to diagnose and fix something that we don't know about.

On a side note, if you are learning to mess around with computers... don't do it on other people's systems ;)

TheTMan said:
What is the other problem? It is kind of hard to diagnose and fix something that we don't know about.

On a side note, if you are learning to mess around with computers... don't do it on other people's systems ;)

Oh my problem is with the startup. If you read my earlier post above someone else tried to addresse the issue. My problem is when it boots up there is a selection screen to ask me to either boot from Windows XP or Windows Xp. Then gives me 30 seconds to decide.
to get rid of that screen and just boot up from my own computer. =) i was quite clear actually.

I know how you feel, I was supposed to back up an HD with relatively important info.

I fried it instead. There was no backup, either.

Codegen said:
I know how you feel, I was supposed to back up an HD with relatively important info.

I fried it instead. There was no backup, either.

Can you post something that would help me fix my above problem =) plz.
I am asking about the boot up screen thanks for your concern.

Spike23 said:
Oh my problem is with the startup. If you read my earlier post above someone else tried to addresse the issue. My problem is when it boots up there is a selection screen to ask me to either boot from Windows XP or Windows Xp. Then gives me 30 seconds to decide.
to get rid of that screen and just boot up from my own computer. =) i was quite clear actually.

In your post you said that you tried what he said, and the boot selection screen went away, but there was another problem. I was asking about the other problem. You actually weren't very clear. If you are having a 1-1 conversation with someone about a problem and don't want others to try to help, use PM not the forum.

Spike23 said:
Can you post something that would help me fix my above problem =) plz.
I am asking about the boot up screen thanks for your concern.

You should really chill out man. God forbid there is a little friendly conversation in this thread. If you really don't want any other banter from the people that are trying to help you call tech support. Or better yet, if this is no longer a HD issue, go to the OS forum. I hope you don't know what you are doing, but you are coming off as kind of a jerk.

Spike23 said:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Well this is what i have now
However when i boot up i still get the screen that tells me which windows to boot.
What else do i have to type to get rid of that screen and just boot up from my own computer.

You need to edit the startup so that the rdisk(1) reads rdisk(0)

Back