• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I Feel Bad

Enjoicube

Gawd
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
530
FOr people who have Killed an athlon 64 that I could've used
Anybody have any bad oc'ing stories, I'm trying to convince my friend not to OC his 3800???
 
i feel bad for noobies that make pointless threads like this. if your friend wants to overclock let him overclock. its not that risky, the thermal monitoring/shutdown will usually save your cpu as long as you are not retarded with the voltage or anything
 
well therein lies the problem, overvolting. We were planning to try to set a record with a prometeia and a Celly D, but he doesnt want to do that, so insted he wants to attempt a suicide shot with his 3800, if it dies, he has a p4 1.4 willy :)
 
why? that chip has a design life WAY beyond what it is usefull for. overclock it SOMEWHAT, keeping temps below 50C, don't over volt it TOO high, and you have more performance, without killing the proc before it's time to upgrade anyway.

now, not to duck the supject, however i had one hell of a melt down resulting from not having proper saftey shutoffs on my cooling solution. my proc got hot enough that solder melted. that's cooling related, not overclock related, though.

i guess that the bigger question that you should be asking this friend of yours is "do you have a mean enough video card to warrent CPU overclocking?" unless he has something like dual 6800 ultras SLI or a 7800 GTX (perhaps also in SLI) than overclocking a proc like that will give him marginal gains in game performance, at best.

edit: the details in your second post change things slightly. when overclocking: slow and carefull, testing at every step is the way to go. you don't just jack it up as fast as you can, as quickly as you can, if you want to keep the proc running for some time.
 
its not really about games, I don't play too many games, but I do like setting records with cheap hardware, untill it dies. Point is, this CPU Isn't so cheap that it would be fun to do a suicide shot. And also, On the celly D, is the IHS still stuck by some unremovable solder? or can you get the IHS off a celly D. AND WHAT DOES QFT MEAN???!!!!
 
Not exactly totally pointless, I am at a money diparity, and I need to kill cheap hardware. I'd like to see some of those 9550's making 5000 on 3dmark03.



Edit: on the other hand, I could encourage him to kill his 3800, and then my 3500 would own his system. right now he has a 6800 nu unlocked. He always gets all the good expensive hardware, and I have to resort to selling old stuff to make money.
 
trying not to convince myself to burn a perfectly good 3700+ SD..

but failing ^_^
 
when all else fails....

DSC03945.jpg

.
 
Define "suicide shot". . . exactly what is he aiming for with his 3800?

H

P.S. Personally, it sounds to me like you're making this thread up as you go along. :D
 
DFI Daishi said:
i guess that the bigger question that you should be asking this friend of yours is "do you have a mean enough video card to warrent CPU overclocking?" unless he has something like dual 6800 ultras SLI or a 7800 GTX (perhaps also in SLI) than overclocking a proc like that will give him marginal gains in game performance, at best.

overclocking my 1.8Ghz winchester by 90Mhz and running 3dmark 2005 didnt do crap. Still was at 3041.
 
90mhz is shit all... pump it to 2.6ghz and youd see a big boost, i do...
 
I dunno how high his venice will go, but its probably in the 2.8 to 3 GHZ range. I could kill a celeron, but I can't bear to see a CPU better than my 3500 die, if he wants to kill it he minus well give it to me.
 
well tell me, who has 323 bucks to waste (about 404 in all).
I am on aim with him right now, I may be able to convince him not to suicide it. I have no objection to him mildly OCing it.
 
Enjoicube said:
well tell me, who has 323 bucks to waste (about 404 in all).
I am on aim with him right now, I may be able to convince him not to suicide it. I have no objection to him mildly OCing it.

Not to be antagonistic or confrontational here, but how's this for a concept:

How about you tell him to come here and become obviously more educated than you are about the how and why of overclocking rather than just make an stupid attempt to drive him away from learning more about his expensive equipment and its ultimate potential?

Just my .02...
 
and for the record most suicide screens are just screenshots that barely boot in to windows, its got nothing to do with the chip actually dying...
 
OC'ing has to do with the chip dying :rolleyes: I know what a suicide shot is, but they do lead to a shorter CPU life.
 
I sort of agree that reading around a little bit and doing some conservative tinkering never hurt anybody. ESPECIALLY with all the built in protection nowadays. If my mobo (865 which is three years older than what we're talking about and behind the times) has an oc so much as look at it wrong, it'll refuse to boot and set everything back to default. Just make sure the cooler is installed and working properly, do it slowly and don't screw with the voltage much and everything should be golden. I think he'd be silly NOT to see what that bad boy can do, as long as he's halfway careful about it.

btw: that whole "if it ain't broke fix it 'til it is!" thing was hilarious.
 
you know all you can do is give your friend advice, its up to him to take it and if he fucks up his perfectly normal cpu, then thats his fault not urs
 
Enjoicube said:
I know how and why to OC, but on a CPU that already runs perfectly?


Do you realize which forum you're posting in?
Seriously, how can you expect for people here to discredit their own hobby, to which this forum is devoted? If you really want to convince him overclocking is bad, give him the number for AMD's tech support.
 
It decreases the CPU's life, but it decreases it from like 10 to 3 or 5 years. No reason not to OC. Go for the suicide shot!
 
zer0signal667 said:
Do you realize which forum you're posting in?
Seriously, how can you expect for people here to discredit their own hobby, to which this forum is devoted? If you really want to convince him overclocking is bad, give him the number for AMD's tech support.
this man speaks the truth. You're not going to change anyone's mind here.


 
Suicide screens are retarded. If it don't run games or benchmarks it sucks. Tell your friend that and maybe you can save him posting suicide screens and us from looking at them.
 
Back
Top