• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I don't understand what Temporal AA is doing...

Sparrow_69

Gawd
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
776
I just read up a bit on temporal AA. My understanding of it was that it if temporal 2x AA was enabled, it would use 4 samples on every other frame, and 2 samples on every other frame, so 4-2-4-2-4-2-, etc. The description also said that it would disable itself if the framerate was not atleast 60fps. So I enabled 2xtemporal AA and tried Far cry at 1920x1200 (2xtempral AA and 8xAF set in the catalyst control center) and played a level using Fraps. What I noticed is that throughout the level, the framerate would either be exactly 30 or exactly 60fps all the time. What's going on? I normally get 40-50fps in that level with those settings. Its weird that I could not get say 45fps, Fraps always showed exactly 30 or 60... I'm confused :confused:
 
Temporal AA forces Vsync on (needs it to work correctly), hence the 60/30 rate you're getting.
 
NO

It uses 2 samples each frame...but the data pattern varies every other frame. The EFFECT of this on YOUR EYEBALLS is to make you THINK it is 4x AA. Color uptake in human EYEBALLS ( I just like saying that word, my EYEBALL...my EYEBALL) has some hysterisis to it, and can be fooled with visual tricks.

ATI and some reviews from when TAA was introduced give a good description of what is actually happening.

A side-effect of using TAA is that Vsync must be used otherwise you eyes may see some "shimmering/flashing" effects on certain textures/colors. And the FRAME RATE must be high enough to be high enough or again the shimmering/flashing can be perceived. So if your performance is a solid >60fps you should have no problem using it and VSYNC to improve your "PERCEIVED" image quality.
 
Ok, I understand that part, but what I don;t get is why the framerate is being forced to 60fps or 30fps. It switches back and forth, depending on what is on-screen. It seems that if it can't hit 60 fps, it runs at 30fps, when I KNOW that I usually get 40-50fps...
 
To prevent the "flashing/shimmering the framerate has to be a fraction of the VSYNC, so 1x = 60, 1/2= 30. Its a timing/math thing about the algorithm and its interaction with your brain, and the specific implementation by ATI.

So just use TAA if you are as is running ABOVE your refresh rate as far as FPS ingame is concerned.
 
Triple buffering prevents the frame rates from halving, with 3 buffers it will have smaller dips (an extra frame to get the sync right)
 
Where do I enable triple buffering? I took a look around in the catalyst control center, but only see the option under open gl... I'm using the latest 5.9 drivers with the control center. I seem to be missing some options, such as enabling v sync, being able to change the anisotropic filtering quality, oc options, etc. The catalyst tweak guide found here
http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_8.html

says I should have those options. Is there a way to enable them?
 
xX_Jack_Carver_Xx said:
NO

It uses 2 samples each frame...but the data pattern varies every other frame. The EFFECT of this on YOUR EYEBALLS is to make you THINK it is 4x AA. Color uptake in human EYEBALLS ( I just like saying that word, my EYEBALL...my EYEBALL) has some hysterisis to it, and can be fooled with visual tricks.

ATI and some reviews from when TAA was introduced give a good description of what is actually happening.

A side-effect of using TAA is that Vsync must be used otherwise you eyes may see some "shimmering/flashing" effects on certain textures/colors. And the FRAME RATE must be high enough to be high enough or again the shimmering/flashing can be perceived. So if your performance is a solid >60fps you should have no problem using it and VSYNC to improve your "PERCEIVED" image quality.


QFT
 
Anyone have any clue on how to enable triple buffering with the catalyst 5.9 control center?
 
Under the advanced settings, there is an option for setting triple buffering, but its only for open gl...
 
THis TSAA didnt work on my eyeballs....looked really jagged, back on nvidia and im back to normal. WOuld have liked to keep my XL...
 
I had always thought that with D3D games that triple buffering was a game by game basis... Not an option you can set by control panel.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread...age=25&highlight=tearing+AND+lcd&pagenumber=1

gram_vaz

triple buffering enabled in the driver only works for opengl games. this will negate the performance impact having v-sync on gives.

it will only hurt performance if u run out of vram.

triple buffering does not work at the driver level for dx games due to the way dx api is integrated into the os. it has to be enabled in the game by the user for dx games if it has the option.

And there you have it...
 
Jesus christ, you don't HAVE to enable Temporal Anti Aliasing! It's only really there for older games that run really fast and thus give you headroom for excessive AA processing. 6x AA with Temporal AA enabled effectively gives you 12x AA and so you can totally eliminate jagged lines combined with 1280+ resolution. But most modern games aren't gunna be able to handle it.

Things like Half-life 1 and Unreal 1 are perfect for it. Anything beyond quake3 and you will begin to run into performance issues (depending on your hardware obviously).
 
Jack_Carver:

"It uses 2 samples each frame...but the data pattern varies every other frame. The EFFECT of this on YOUR EYEBALLS is to make you THINK it is 4x AA. Color uptake in human EYEBALLS ( I just like saying that word, my EYEBALL...my EYEBALL) has some hysterisis to it, and can be fooled with visual tricks."

I like to think of TAA as an extension of the "flipbook" effect we used as kids to make our own animations. But instead of filling in the visual gaps and smoothing the motion of a character's limbs, TAA tricks your eyes into filling in the gaps between two differently AA'd frames.
 
Back
Top