I don't understand the appeal of small Tablets PCs

Praetorius

Limp Gawd
After trying one out for a couple weeks along with some tablet accessories, I don't understand their appeal over a nice touchscreen Ultrabook.

Ultrabooks are thinner, have better keyboards, bigger screens, better design, just better all around.

Why would I want this?
belkinipadmini.jpg

When I can have this?
inhon-blade-13-carbon.jpg

Cheaper and bettery battery life? I like my iPad but it's not close to my Macbook Air when I need 'do' something other than read/surf

Costs half as much.
Has twice the battery life.
Doesn't require a flat surface to use.
Has a different usage paradigm.

Tablets are pretty much just for consuming content. As others have said you would not do work on it. They are good for surfing the net, reading a book, watching a TV show/movie, or apps. That's pretty much it for tablets with Android/iOS.

Now if Intel can come up with a low power x86 chip to rival current ARM chips in power usage, then we might see an x86 Windows tablet worth buying. That would be the best of both worlds.

Maybe they have 2 devices, a tablet for watching videos around the house and a beefier laptop with enough vertical height to have decent travel on the keys and more processing power.

It does not, that's why it's thinner since it has no battery in the display housing.

I'm not sure the screen comes off that ultrabook

There are hybrid devices though where the screen does come off. This is not a zero sum game, different devices, capabilities and price points for different needs.

Yes and those devices are thicker as the screen portion needs a battery and a main board with a whole system on it making the above photos not a fair comparison ;)

Let me offer a counterpoint - For many people, I don't understand the appeal of Ultrabooks outside of "style" and some fantasies about how much people are going to carry them around.

Most people I know (mostly adults) don't carry their laptops around much. It goes from table -> couch -> table. Even if they occasionally take it out of the house, it's home -> vehicle -> destination -> vehicle -> home. A slightly bigger and heavier laptop isn't really doing to make much difference.

If you want to do work, the screen estate of a 15 inch laptop is nice. If you want to sit on the couch and surf the web or read emails/facebook, a tablet is less awkward than an Ultrabook.

As others have said, whatever makes you happy and fits your life.

Notebooks are personal devices with no one size fits all :)

Back