I don't understand SDD benchmarks

grit

Limp Gawd
I've looked at benchmarks everywhere and read tons... I still can't figure SSDs out.

I want the system to FEEL as fast as possible. I also want games to load as FAST as possible (yes, *I* care if it takes 10 seconds to load a level vs 15 seconds). Finally, it'd be nice to have programs INSTALL as fast as possible, though that's my last requirement.

I looked at the Samsung 830 series, the Kingston HyperX (or any other Sandforce), and the Plextor M3 Pro. Benchmarks show a significant difference between these drives in SOME metrics. What I just can't figure out is WHICH measurements to look at to make my decision. I'd greatly appreciate ANY help.

Thanks!

They are all going to be fast. With those drives (and honestly most current ssds in that performance group) it isn't going to be an issue of 10 vs 15 seconds, it will more be an issue of 10.1 vs 10.3 seconds. In any case, the 4k marks are the ones to look at for an OS drive.

windows updates still take for fucking ever to install. proof positive that no matter how fast the hardware windows will find a way crawl at some point.

In any case, the 4k marks are the ones to look at for an OS drive.

Yes the 4K random performance benchmarks are the most useful.

Do not compare the 500 MB+ /s numbers because these do not really equate to real world performance since most applications do not read or write GBs of data at a time sequentially.

It isn't too surprising considering that SandForce drives have high sequential read numbers, which would be pretty applicable to level loading (which, I assume, is pulling a metric crapton of textures off the disk and loading them into memory).

Here are the same drives benchmarked at AnandTech: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/428?vs=565

You can see that one is better than the other depending on the actual circumstances of the I/O operation. Therefore, it's hard to really predict how the two will compare in real life, as I/O usage is very much varied even for a typical user. It's fair to say that the differences between the top drives w/ synchronous NAND are probably imperceptible.

Back