• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I Don't like my D5 :(

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 10, 2002
Messages
14,522
Well I purchased my D5 and TDX combo, the first D5, seemed to have a broken pot, I could not adjust it (it just spun around in a circle). It was dead silent though.

So I sent my first D5 back and just recieved the replacement yesterday. my new one has a horrible high pitched whine comng from it. It's not Loud but I can hear it over everything else in the room, over my L1A's maxed out, AOC maxed out HD's, Laptop Refridgerator, and 3 other aquarium pumps.

It gets pretty annoying after a while, stepping out of the room every so often helps me keep my sanity.

I don't remember my first D5 having this high pitched noise. Maybe I can ask DD for my broken pump back? I don't care what adjustment it was stuck on at least it did not drive me nuts! Anyone else have this issue? I really don't want to send it back for RMA again when I have 1000's of dollars in PC parts that are waiting to be tested out. Will the noise go away after the pump "breaks in"?

I'm pretty annoyed already....Can someone recomend me an alternative I guess i will have to ask for a refund...
 
have you tried adjusting its speed setting? i have noticed a big difference in noise just by moving from setting 5 to setting 4.
 
I don't hear anything of the sort at setting 5. Is it a mechanical noise or an electrical noise?
 
Im assuming it is mechanical since it is a pump, possibly the impeller or something I dunno its very high pitched, I would guess some people could not even hear it...But I do..

It's sort of the sound when an old monitor starts whining, some people can hear it and others can't.

The noise is there at any pump level, but it does get quieter the more I turn the pump down, but not by much...
 
The installation instructions included with my aqx-50z pump said that during the first 24 hours of operation that the pump would emit a slight bearing noise, and that it would go away. I never noticed the noise over the loud fans on my setup though.
 
Well I will give it a chance to wear in then, it's funny though cause I don't believe my first pump made the noise, but then again the adjustment knob was busted so who knows what setting it was on...

It does not sound like bearing noise though...Bearning noise is similar to what fans make right? This is more of a high pitched squel

I need to test all the other hardware anyways since I have rebates I need to mail!
 
like the sound a TV makes when its got nothing on but is turned on? Oh god i can hear that a floor up :eek:

im not sure what it is but its electrical for sure :S
 
I've read DD d5's are noiser than swiftech D5's. That's why I'm getting a swiftech. I don't care too much for DD's customer service anyway.
 
Waterhazard said:
The installation instructions included with my aqx-50z pump said that during the first 24 hours of operation that the pump would emit a slight bearing noise, and that it would go away. I never noticed the noise over the loud fans on my setup though.


Another vote for the 50z pump. I would ditch the d5...
 
well I think I'm going to just call DD, they help me the first time I'll try my luck again, if that does not work, I will get something else.

Just wondered if any others had the same problem, well who knows maybe it will go away...
 
I called DD and the rep told me he had done about 50 builds using the D5, he said it is much quieter than the D4 (I would not know).

He told me all D5's make a whinign noise, is this true?
 
Ive had bot the swiftech 665 and a D5
Both make a little noise like that.
For me I just shock the case and left it in the garage for about 2days then you wouldnt hear anything. Before I use to have like 6 120mm fans and you could hear them from about 20 to 30 yards aways then the pumps I put in with only 2 fans made it so much quiter.
 
"For me I just shock the case and left it in the garage for about 2days then you wouldnt hear anything"

HuH?

So what's the next most powerful alterntive to the D5 that is slightly more quiet? I don't want a D5 its it's going to be irritating to the ears.
 
My D4 whined quite a bit. The fan on my x1800 has a whine too. I only hear it when I sit close to my desk and I'm now wearing my headphones all the time to make it go away. I've got a waterblock for it, but I need to get some stuff set up in my new case.
 
scwam said:
"For me I just shock the case and left it in the garage for about 2days then you wouldnt hear anything"

HuH?

So what's the next most powerful alterntive to the D5 that is slightly more quiet? I don't want a D5 its it's going to be irritating to the ears.

Eheim 1250
 
scwam said:
HuH?

So what's the next most powerful alterntive to the D5 that is slightly more quiet? I don't want a D5 its it's going to be irritating to the ears.
as a general rule the DDC would be the answer.

the 1250 is quieter, bu not nearly as powerfull.

for myself, i'd try and play the it's working but too loud card to see if you can get an RMA for a pump that is legitimately quiet, as some D5s are, rather than going straight for a different pump.
 
If you do end up getting the aq-50z pump, make sure they dont give you the one with the "customizable fittings." They were out of the 1/2" barbed ones and apparently decided I wouldn't mind the extra fittings (I didn't send it back, but because of laziness rather than indifference). They take up more space, make tubing management harder, and are additional things you have to threadseal and leaktest.
 
Back
Top