I did something dumb last week

bhstephe

n00b
I was trying to hook up a fan to a fan header on my board with an extension that adds like 15 inches to the power wire from the fan and like a dumb ass I hook it up to the header first while the pc was on and was fishing it down between my video card and the board and when it got to the bottom it touched the bottom of my case being aluminum it shorted or grounded out. the psu shut down then powered back on and shut down again before I could cut the switch off in the back. I ended up burning out 2 of the headers marked for chassis. Luckily I didn't burn out anything else. Thats the last time ill try that again. I was'nt even thinking about the other end being live with the 2 prongs sticking out. The last time I did something dumb was when I was poking around the psu conectors with a multimeter and ended up toasting a board. I got lucky this time. Another lesson learned thats for sure.

I was trying to hook up a fan to a fan header on my board with an extension that adds like 15 inches to the power wire from the fan and like a dumb ass I hook it up to the header first while the pc was on and was fishing it down between my video card and the board and when it got to the bottom it touched the bottom of my case being aluminum it shorted or grounded out. the psu shut down then powered back on and shut down again before I could cut the switch off in the back. I ended up burning out 2 of the headers marked for chassis. Luckily I didn't burn out anything else. Thats the last time ill try that again. I was'nt even thinking about the other end being live with the 2 prongs sticking out. The last time I did something dumb was when I was poking around the psu conectors with a multimeter and ended up toasting a board. I got lucky this time. Another lesson learned thats for sure.

I cannot stress this enough:

NEVER WORK ON A PC THAT IS POWERED ON!

What do you mean?

I like to swap out my CPU's with my system turned on because the light from my LED fans makes it easier to see how the CPU's supposed to fit in the socket!

What do you mean?

I like to swap out my CPU's with my system turned on because the light from my LED fans makes it easier to see how the CPU's supposed to fit in the socket!

i might try that. You should try cleaning your mobo with mountain dew, it works wonders!

I remember finishing my first build and wearing my anti-static wrist band still connected to the case. Turned on the PSU switch..*flash*....@^&%#. I disconnected everything and did the green/black pin flash thing to the PSU...Its alive!!!. Reliable 700w OCZ PSU prob shorted out 3-4 times before I finished building the comp. Using it now, very stable.

I've got quite a few scars working in an open pc while physically feeling heatsinks for heat, but to just smash my finger into a god damn fan.

Remember kids, don't put fingers near 3800 RPM metal fans.

with an old 486 we once tried to hot swap ram and the cpu. The ram actually caused some smoke and the connections on the ram chip got all burnt and crispy.

I was moving a fan that I had just laying on top of my ATI 9800 Pro. Some metal piece from something touched a solder point on the 9800 pro and r uined it.

It now sits in my office at work with the HS pulled off so I can remember how good of a card it was.

i might try that. You should try cleaning your mobo with mountain dew, it works wonders!

You should try Coca-Cola Classic. Since that company's drivers actually use it to clean the
engines of their own trucks, you can imagine the wonders it can do for your computer! ;):p

is there anyway to fix a fan header or is it better just to run fans off of the psu anyways.

Yall need to rename this thread. Something like "when things go wrong." I like the mountain dew advice. I can't stop laughing reading this thread.

Yeah.. this thread is awesome. I remember putting my finger in my high-end heatsink on a AMD thunderbird CUP (can't remember model, but it was very popular, delta fan, very fast) and it took of a chunk. Good times!

Coca Cola or Pepsi makes an exceptional battery terminal cleaner. I also use it on the metal areas below the batteries of my old cars. I am not kidding. Splash it on with a quart bottle and then rinse it off with water.

During my first attempt at watercooling about 7 years ago, I undid a hose fitting on my chipset block just to move it about a 1/4....with the machine on and pump running.

You can imagine the results were not good once I touched the hose and the pressure was released. lol

I learned an expensive lesson that day.

Coca Cola or Pepsi makes an exceptional battery terminal cleaner. I also use it on the metal areas below the batteries of my old cars. I am not kidding. Splash it on with a quart bottle and then rinse it off with water.

This has been proven, Honest-to-God.

Take an ordinary METAL SPOON from your kitchen.

Place it in a large bowl & pour in Coca-Cola Classic 2 inches deep.

Come back in like 24 hours and VOILA! ---> NO SPOON

. . . . . . . . . . . really, istg

Some lessons are learned the hard way. At least now you know not to add or swap stuff while the computer is powered-on.

I've got quite a few scars working in an open pc while physically feeling heatsinks for heat, but to just smash my finger into a god damn fan.

Remember kids, don't put fingers near 3800 RPM metal fans.

I remember those lessons very well. Delta fans really do leave a mark.

is there anyway to fix a fan header or is it better just to run fans off of the psu anyways.

I always try to run all but the CPU fan off of a fan controller. I find it easier to control fan speed instead of going through software.

This has been proven, Honest-to-God.

Take an ordinary METAL SPOON from your kitchen.

Place it in a large bowl & pour in Coca-Cola Classic 2 inches deep.

Come back in like 24 hours and VOILA! ---> NO SPOON

. . . . . . . . . . . really, istg

I really hope you're being sarcastic, because that is definitely not true.

Back