I DID IT!!! Unlocked Frozr II

cwest1

Limp Gawd
Recently I had begun wanting to pick up a Frozr III because of all the talk of them apparently unlocking. Well Sadly, internet talk is that AMD has begun to laser out the extra shaders and very few people are having luck unlocking the frozr III these days ( or any recently bought 6950) .

locally I picked up a Twin Frozr II from another forum member (feedback coming your way!!!) and thought why the hell not. I decided to live on the edge and I managed to unlock a totally non reference Twin Frozr II.

I looked a fair bit and have not found of any one else managing (or even trying) to unlock these particular cards.

Desktop_2011_06_17_20_46_11_482.jpg

Has anyone tried this, or am I the only one ?

awesome job. get ready to have your name and thread posted all over the internet once people see this. :p

I unlocked my Twin Frozr II also, my Twin Frozr III though couldn't unlock.

awesome, When i searched online i couldn't find any information on anybody trying it. Did you do it with RBE as well ?

Yes, I don't know if they made a newer revision of the twin frozr ii cards (I read that's the reason my twin frozr iii never unlocked, but the serial number said march so I'm not so sure)

Congrats man.. ordred an OB one off the egg today.. crossing my fingers in hopes that i can unlock as well..

I also just successfully unlocked the shaders on my MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II. Seems like this is a good card for someone looking to buy a 6950 to flash to a 6970. The only problem is my card gets close to 100 degrees C while I'm bitmining :/

When did you buy the card? I'm waiting on an RMA from MSI and am getting impatient.

I bought mine last Tuesday (6/21/11).

Thanks. I asked MSI to send me a twin frozr ii instead of a twin frozr iii and it shipped today. Hope it unlocks also.

Also, 100 degrees is way too much, mine never passes 75 and it's unlocked bitmining.

Congrats cwest, good going. I think MSI was originally advertising that the TF2 or TF3 could unlock even though it had a non-reference design. They even had official slides touting a 97% unlock rate. But yes, as another person already stated, they're cutting the shaders out with the most recent ones. One of my XFX 6950s definitely is cut, and while I haven't tried flashing the other one, it probably is too. :(

But more power to you, hope you like it.

I also just successfully unlocked the shaders on my MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II. Seems like this is a good card for someone looking to buy a 6950 to flash to a 6970. The only problem is my card gets close to 100 degrees C while I'm bitmining :/

Open your case's door and point a box fan at a 45* angle to the case. It dropped by top card's temperature (the hotter one) by 5* going from an open case to pointing a fan at it.

Open your case's door and point a box fan at a 45* angle to the case. It dropped by top card's temperature (the hotter one) by 5* going from an open case to pointing a fan at it.

Thankyou! This method just decreased my hottest GPU temp by 15° C. And I thought my HAF X case had good airflow. :eek:

I will second the Frozr3 issue... I just unlocked my two F3's but the shaders are hardware cut now... but coming from a single 5870eyefinity to a crossfire6950 (@ 915/1375) I am fully happy with my purchase.

yes i unlocked my twin frozr 2 i received 1.5 weeks again. much better than reference temp and OC wise

I just unlocked them on my MSI twin frozr II also. So much for having to be a reference card :) Not a huge performance increase, 3DMark'11 score was about 3.5% better.

a5p.png

Last edited:
After waiting a week after MSI received my twin frozr iii I called them and asked them to downgrade me to a twin frozr ii. It shipped the next day.

I just bought a Twin Frozr 2 OC edition from Fry's yesterday and it unlocked as well.

Wierd OC issue going on though, I'll post more later.

What do you guys think is a good stable overclock for an unlocked MSI 6950 TFII at stock volts (which i believe for these cards is 1112mV)? The reason I asked at stock clocks is if I increase the voltage of my TFII, it becomes unstable without touching the core or mem frequencies.

Mine wouldn't OC well without a slight voltage bump, it was unstable at very minor core and mem changes. Each card seems to be quite different. After OC it never gets above 67c and stays quiet. I also found with my card I could increase core and mem more than my current OC, but it didn't give me significantly more fps and actually in one case I got less. There is definitely a sweet spot with my card. After much testing it seems to be 910 core and 1375 mem.

nice what kind of boost did you get!?!

In Crysis 2, I am getting 6 fps better @ 1920 x 1200 Ultra setting. That is with the OC and the 6970 shaders unlock. Keeps my avg. fps between 40-45 which makes the game very nice.

Thanks for this thread. I will buy one of the Frozr II's on newegg and try unlockin. Can anybody tell me what the difference is between these two SKUs? They look to be the same but one is $10 cheaper.

I have two of the non-OC versions and they both unlocked. I'm not sure about the OC version but I would guess it also unlocks.

Mine wouldn't OC well without a slight voltage bump, it was unstable at very minor core and mem changes. Each card seems to be quite different. After OC it never gets above 67c and stays quiet. I also found with my card I could increase core and mem more than my current OC, but it didn't give me significantly more fps and actually in one case I got less. There is definitely a sweet spot with my card. After much testing it seems to be 910 core and 1375 mem.

Assuming you unlocked the shaders, what was your default stock voltage and what voltage do you have it at now? My card defaulted to 1112mV in MSI Afterburner but any voltage bump up from that made it unstable. I have found that at core clocks between 900 and 930ish, my card is MORE stable if I undervolt it to 1100mV.

On another note, does anyone know if we should be using the 1100mV or 1065mV Graphics processor type in the newest beta of MSI Afterburner? Or if it makes a difference at all?

Last edited:
My stock voltage was 1112, I have it set at 1187 now. I've been using the MSI 1065mv setting. I assumed based on the notes it auto detected my card.

i have it at stock and 880
im thinking of trying 900 at stock lol

Back