• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I changed something and don't know what it did exactly...

jrcorwin

n00b
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
14
My s/n has worn off of the bottom of my vaio notebook. So...I had a problem and called Sony support. They of course needed the s/n and I couldn't read it. They had me push F2 while rebooting...a nifty little screen popped up which I had never seen. I noticed a setting could be changed regarding my graphics and decided to come back to it later.

Later night I revisited this "F2" menu. My notebook specs say I have:

ATI Radeon™ IGP 345M
64MB Video RAM (shared w/ Main
Memory)

On this "F2" menu I was able to choose between 32MP, 64MB(to which it was set), or 128MB..I think that was the number anyway.

So, I changed the selection to 128MB. What does this do? Is it safe?

Thank you in advance...
 
It may be your AGP Aperture size.
"The AGP aperture size is an available option configurable commonly through the computer BIOS that is commonly set to a default of 64MB. AGP aperture size defines how much system memory the AGP controller is allowed to use for texture maps. While it may be possible to increase the overall performance or prevent problems with some video cards we recommend you leave the AGP aperture size at 64MB unless instructed otherwise by your video card manufacturer."

What is AGP Aperture size?
 
Hmm...ok, thank you. Too bad...I thought I might have pushed out a little more performance from this thing. :(

I love my vaio, but I miss the fact that I could upgrade my old desktop. Oh well...
 
It could also be and probably is a user programable setting that determines how much system memory your on board graphics can utilize for a frame buffer. You could confirm this by checking system properties in my computer . You would see a corresponding reduction in available system memroy directly proportional to the settting you choose
 
Yes don't make changes within the BIOS unless you know the results and risks involved. Making changes in the BIOS is more risky than making changes within the Windows.
 
Well, luckily it doesn't sound like I royally screwed anything up. I just wish I could get a little more juice out of this thing.

Thanks for the help folks...
 
Its a setting htat will take away system memory and use it has video memory, if you had 1gb of system and had it set to 128, your system will actually be using 768
 
Back
Top