I can't tell if HDR is enabled in farcry or not? i need some help

I just installed farcry on my system. I have an fx-55 with dual 7800gtx's. I set the AA to off, because HDR is not compatible with AA, then turn the AF up to 8x. Then i go in the game, and at the first part where you can see up over onto the beach, i bring the console up and type the command /r_hdrrendering 7

I've tried several different numbers there, but none of them make any difference, how do i tell if it is enabled or not. I don't see any difference in picture quality or anything happening when i type it in. Nothing that would indicate it worked. I do have all the settings in game maxed out at "very high" Is it not compatible with that?

btw, i do have it patched to 1.33 :)

thanks for any help

Eric

You'll know when you have it enabled. If you look at the ground then look up to the sky it'll be really bright then it'll go back to normal.

And isn't it a backword slash? I don't remember. \r_hdrrendering 1
Can you tell HDR is on in this pic?
farcry00855tq.jpg

P.S.: I think 7 is too high, I even think 1 is too high sometimes.

damn, that looks ten times better than what mine looks like. I'll try the backward slash, that didn't even cross my mind.

This is very frustrating, all the money into a high end system and i can't get this to work to see how good it looks :(

anybody have an opinion on the best drivers to use with farcry and HDR. I'm using the 77.50's right now, and i'm getting some hard locks, but it looks gorgeous

farcry patched to 1.33, forceware v77.77, hdr enabled and i get this...

any ideas why and/or how to fix it?

I've got an X850 XT PE, how do I enable the HDR?

Also, with the ATi cards, is the PS 2.0 compatible with AA?

solideliquid said:
I've got an X850 XT PE, how do I enable the HDR?

Also, with the ATi cards, is the PS 2.0 compatible with AA?
Yes, Half-Life 2's Lost Coast will take advantage of HDR but not in FarCry.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
its a whole new experience man..

i REplay farcry with HDR on when i got my GTX
Same here! Totally new experience like you said!!

jwill said:

whoa! I actually get a lot worse version of that. Those weird purple streaks are all over the bottom of the screen and obscure half of the entire view... they usually appear after a few minutes of playing and they don't go away till i quit. i thought that was just my game bugging out, but maybe its a driver or hardware thing.

hmm

retardedchicken said:
iwill is your 7800gt OCed?

make sure AA isnt enabled
aa wasnt on but it was overclocked, turned it back down to default speed and got this...

Zinn said:
whoa! I actually get a lot worse version of that. Those weird purple streaks are all over the bottom of the screen and obscure half of the entire view... they usually appear after a few minutes of playing and they don't go away till i quit. i thought that was just my game bugging out, but maybe its a driver or hardware thing.

hmm
yeah mine happen a few seconds after hdr is enabled.

that screenshot of DragonNOA1 looks really good. i wish i could get it working like that. :/

Zinn said:

hmm

i get that too

i just keep disable and enabling HDR

usually after a couple of tries, it stays clean

jwill said:

I updated my drivers and game and still get them. From what I was able to dig up, it is an issue with nvidia's profiles. Rename the farcry.exe to something else, like farcyrenamed.exe or farcy.exe or anything aside from farcy.exe. Then run the game like that with no problems, worked for me.

thanks for the tip. it's probably one of those nvidia "optimizations" :p

IxGOxSOLO said:
I updated my drivers and game and still get them. From what I was able to dig up, it is an issue with nvidia's profiles. Rename the farcry.exe to something else, like farcyrenamed.exe or farcy.exe or anything aside from farcy.exe. Then run the game like that with no problems, worked for me.
thanks, worked for me too.

not quite as good as DragonNOA1's screenshot. was hdr set at just 1 for that screenshot?

Nice find on the workaround for 7800 based cards on FarCry. nVidia, what are we gonna do with you?

And yes, I think that was taken with HDR 1. I've also noticed that HDR doesn't always look the best on inside levels with little light b/c any light is amplified like your cousin's home-made car stereo.

IxGOxSOLO said:

wow thx taht worked great... :)

solideliquid said:
So ATi video cards cannot run HDR in Far Cry?

There's more than one way to do HDR. If done using pixel shaders, then any dx9 card can do HDR. Most games, however, use the FP color buffer do do HDR, and only the GeForce 6/7 cards have it.

Edit: More info I found::

"Creating a way for a card to render via Pixel Shaders is a makeshift solution for something that wasn't really there before.

HDR can be done on most any card however the performance hit can make it unplayable. The Geforce 6 & 7 series cards include a 16bit floating point frame buffer, which allows for hardware acceleration of HDR. Using FP16 HDR games such as Far Cry, SC, etc. can have HDR enabled and still have a reasonable frame rate to play the game. It is rumored that the next ATI chip will include support for FP16 HDR.

FP16 HDR (such as OpenEXR) is the preferred method because of the specific hardware acceleration that can be used without having to use the pixel shader rendering (which is busy doing other aspects of the game).

The only downside to Floating Point Blending HDR is you cannot use AA.

Other was such as Pixel Shading HDR, should allow for AA... however, the performance hit via the pixel shaders will be much greater than that of the Floating Point Blending; it also AFAIK will not look as good as the FP-Blending HDR."

Everything in this post was taken from Anandtech's forum

will hdr work on on an x800? is farcry the only game right now with hdr?

jwill said:

same thing on a 7800 GT system.

DragonNOA1 said:
Booo, bad example.

Before, after.

I haven't actually tried for screenies, those are ones I just had. I need to get some of outdoor scenes, but I mainly find HDR differences in doors.

Also, that trick of renaming the farcry.exe worked for me as well.. I can't believe it was that easy. Thanks to whoever first mentioned that.

So by the looks of it im not really seeing anything impressive. Inless its just the screen shot not doing justice to the game. I have yet to try HDR on my x800 because from what I have read here I cant use the game switch. But to me it looks like its just enhances the lighting. To me it looks like you just turned overbrigt on or something to that nature.

First, MAJOR kudo's whoever found that fix for the stupid HDR lighting bug, that was REALLY annoying!

Second, here are some comparison shots to help see what the differences are between HDR and non HDR. Scuze the size, but this will help you see what I mean

NON HDR
before16xn.jpg

WITH HDR
afte17ln.jpg

NON HDR
before23dj.jpg

WITH HDR
after20pa.jpg

Here are some better examples. This is being powered by my new BFG 7800GTX OC :D

BEFORE HDR
before32jn.jpg

AFTER HDR
after32ub.jpg

BEFORE HDR
before42qx.jpg

AFTER HDR
after42br.jpg

BEFORE HDR
before56tq.jpg

AFTER HDR

after57sv.jpg

This one is a very good example. Notice how "flat" and boring the textures are lit in the non HDR photo, your real human eyes would be squinting from the change in light intensity from the dark background. Hence the difference in the second photo, you get a realistic example of what it would be like from going from dark to very bright and the corresponding area.

NON HDR
before61hc.jpg

AFTER HDR
after66yi.jpg

See the only set I think it looks good in is the third one in the second set. Ther rest just look to bright. And as if you turned turned overbright on your moniter on.

Back