I can't SLI these two cards can I?

CardiaK

Limp Gawd
Sorry for the nubbish question, but I looked in the SLI faqs and didn't see an answer.

I just got a donation of older hardware, and I'm trying to frankenstein together a box.

I have an eVGA 6800GT, a Gigabyte 6800 vanilla, and an ASUS A8N SLI Premium mobo.

I know they made strides a while back where they didn't have to be identical cards anymore, but these are different chips. This won't work, right?

Last I heard they still have to be the same. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

a Gigabyte 6800 vanilla,

it has to be something like GT or GTO or something like that is just can't be plain 6800.

use Rivatuner or GPU-z to check the name of the gpu, and then if there are the same, then u can SLI with no prob

6800Nu isnt that vanilla?
At least its what I remember from back in the day.
And no I dont think that gen of sli cards can be used together.
Wasnt it the 7x00 series that introduced more flexibility with card pairing?

dusting off my memory on this:

cant you try and unlock the extra pipes on the 6800 vanilla and if they work then flash it to a 6800GT bios and then SLi should work. also if the pipes dont work cant you flash the 6800GT to a 6800 vanilla?

dont do this untill someone else confirms this, cant remember exactly if this works this way.

the 6800 can be flashed to a gt. That was my understanding umm.. 4 years ago.

Sell them both for $40 each, throw $40 of your own in there and get a low end 8600 or 8800. much better performance and you don't have to deal with SLI.

the 6800 can be flashed to a gt. That was my understanding umm.. 4 years ago.

Sell them both for $40 each, throw $40 of your own in there and get a low end 8600 or 8800. much better performance and you don't have to deal with SLI.

The 9600GTs are getting in the ~$120-$130ish range with rebates now...

Back