I can't seem to reach any repos in Debian.

Blitzrommel

2[H]4U
So my DNS is resolving fine, I have no firewall enabled, I'm not using SELinux or anything, and of course I'm posting on the internet otherwise I wouldn't be here. But this has been an issue for a few weeks since I switched to Deiban 5.0 "Lenny" -- I just can't reach any online repositories!

It doesn't matter what I attempt to try. In GNOME, I go to Systems -> Administration -> Software Sources. Under the Debian Software tab, I select from "Download from:" and go to Other, and I try any of those servers and the same result keeps happening. When I hit the "Select Best Server" button, it tests all of the download servers and out of 389 tests, it'll choose "debian.cites.uiuc.edu" which I suppose makes sense because of the proximity. So I choose that, close the window, and it'll tell me I gotta reload since I chose a new repo. I do that and I ALWAYS get the same damn error:

Code:
ftp://debian.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/debian/dists/lenny/updates/main/source/Sources: Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file.  '
ftp://debian.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/debian/dists/lenny/updates/contrib/source/Sources: Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file.  '
ftp://debian.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/debian/dists/lenny/updates/non-free/source/Sources: Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file.  '

Replace the name of the server with whatever you want... And although this example was an FTP site, it does this with HTTP as well. So is this a bug or something? Maybe someone who's using Debian 5.0 can fill me in.

Post the output of "cat /etc/apt/sources.list"

(If you don't know how to do this)
1. Press ALT+F2
2. Type "gnome-terminal" and press enter
3. type "cat /etc/apt/sources.list"

Last edited:
Back