I can't seem to get any software firewall installed on my system!

I have Windows 7 Beta 7000 64 bit installed, and I am looking for a good freeware firewall.

My favorite software firewall is Sunbelt Personal Firewall.

The only bad thing about this firewall I found is how damn LONG it takes them to update ANYTHING!. For years no Vista version was available (trying to install it would make it reject my OS) and now that they FINALLY added a Vista version........ its 32 bit only. They "plan" to release a 64 bit version sometime 2009. I wish they would stop dragging their knuckles....

.... anyway, so if I am using a 64 bit OS, Sunbelt is out.

Next I tried COMODO...... but that caused nothing but harm and trouble. It would prevent Windows Update from working properly until I uninstalled, not just disabled but uninstalled it, it kept blocking applications I told it not to, even if I added them to it's filter rules and told it to give them full access, sometimes would fail to start, and then started blocking access to EVERYTHING, even my web browser and virus scanner.

Zone Alarm thinks I am on a Vista system.... and thinks I don't have SP1 installed, so it refuses to install.

So yeah, Sunbelt, COMODO, and Zone Alarm are the only good freeware Windows firewalls that I know of, and I can't even get them to INSTALL! The only one that did install caused more problems then any piece of software I have ever seen in my life... and I used to use Norton AntiVirus.

Wait..you're talking about the fact that you can't get software to install in a beta OS and complaining that they won't?

Why not just run a hardware firewall and be done with it?

\
So yeah, Sunbelt, COMODO, and Zone Alarm are the only good freeware Windows firewalls that I know of,

Remove Zone Alarm from that list....I'd format my computer if that junky thing got near it.

Comodo or PCTools firewall if you need a 3rd party one. PCTools works on Windows 7, although dunno why you want a 3rd party one..the built in one with Windows is fine.

I have router

But a hardware firewall can't give you detailed information on what each service and program on your computer is trying to access.

Back