I can't open Windows ME anymore

Starguard

Limp Gawd
While trying to clean out all of the garbage my computer has collected over the years, I accidentally wiped out all of my system files and now Windows won't start. I can still access the harddrive via DOS, but I can't do much else. My emergency backup disk doesn't work and the computer said that I was missing a SYSTEM. INI file. What can I do to restore my computer to its former state? It also said that I am missing an IFSHLP.SYS file as well. Please help :(

Oh.I almost forgot. My computer is a very small 5 year old Compaq Presario with 575Mhz Celeron microprocessor and a 7.5 GB Harddrive

um im not sure if the restore CD has a WIN9X folder in it or not... but if there is in dos mode make a WIN9X folder in the C drive and copy *.* from the Win9X folder on the CD then goto the WIN9X folder on the C and type in setup. It will reinstall windows for you without deleting any of your files.

ya, find the cd. Ya gotta get rid of that Windows Me, bro. I had it for a while and it sucks .
I dont think your rig would do well with Windows X, so. You should see if someone you know has a Windows 2000 / or Windows 2000 pro. Cd you can install/ I put it on a few rigs that had ME and it is WAY more stable and takes less resources to run.

good luck

In your c:\windows\options\install should be entire WinME installation (Winme made it when you installed it first time), so try to find it there from DOS prompt.

Good Luck

Regards

Take about a blessing in disguise. A very thin disguise.

Grab 2k or xp. You life will be happier. ( unless you use a legacy app. in which case, oh well )

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Boot to the ME CD, and do an install over the top of your current load. If you can get a copy of 2K or XP I would reload that instead.

This thing says that I am missing a IFSHLP.SYS file and won't let me do anything from there on :(

Back