I can't get into the BIOS or Windows Advanced Options with new Asus ROG PG329Q monitor connected

Delicieuxz

[H]ard|Gawd
I wonder if anyone here has insight what the issue and solution could be.

I've just bought an Asus PG329Q monitor, and when it's connected, I can't enter my PC's BIOS or Windows' Advanced Options screen (triggered by holding-down the Shift key while clicking Restart or Shut Down in Windows). When booting, the system completely skips over the BIOS as pressing or holding the Delete key has no effect, and boots straight into Windows. And Windows' Advanced Options screen is just a blank black screen. But when I connect my old monitor, an LG 32GK650F-B, I can both enter the BIOS and see the Advanced Options screen. It's just the Asus PG329Q that I can't enter the BIOS and enter the Advanced Options screen while using.

The system motherboard is an Asus ROG STRIX X670E-A, and I'm having this issue with both of the BIOS versions I've tried, 1415 and 1602.

It looks like lots of other people are having the same or a similar issue with entering their PC's BIOS and Advanced Options with Windows 11. And there are also a bunch of reports that sound like they could be the same issue with Windows 10.

Microsoft answers: Can't access bios or advanced startup on windows 11

But again, I can enter both the BIOS (by holding down the Delete key while booting up), and enter the Windows Advanced Options menu normally using my old monitor (and can, from there, also reboot into the BIOS), but I can't do either when using my newly-bought Asus PG329Q monitor. I've tried different keyboards, and the issue persisted with the Asus PG329Q. But my old monitor, the LG 32GK650F-B, enter the BIOS fine with the same keyboards.

My brother told me he had the same issue with his Asus mobo AM5 system, and that he fixed it by resetting the BIOS and removing the CMOS battery to clear things as best as possible, and then starting up fresh with the new monitor, and that fixed it for him. I tried that, and it still didn't work for me. Then I tried swapping the DisplayPort cables from my old and new monitors, and with the other DP cable, and then my new monitor was able to go into the BIOS and also the Windows Advanced Options menu a couple of times. But now it's gone back to doing the same thing as before.

I also tried using an HDMI cable instead of a DP one, and it again wouldn't go into the BIOS or show Windows' Advanced Options (it's just a black screen). But I've found that pressing Space while at the black screen where the Advanced Options screen should be will restart the PC, and then it seems to pretty consistently show the ROG splash screen, pre-Windows loading (which doesn't happen when I do a cold boot, or a normal reset from within Windows). So, I tried holding the Delete key after I rebooted from Advanced Options (which I did by pressing Space at the black screen where Advanced Options should be displayed), and I ended up going into the BIOS. Then, while in the BIOS, I tried switching from HDMI to DP, and I got no signal. Then I tried switching back from DP to HDMI again, and also got no signal.

asus bios is F2. keep jamming on it and see if it will come up. some time it works better from off rather than a restart. if you still dont see it, yourll need another monitor, as that one is being picky with the res.

asus bios is F2. keep jamming on it and see if it will come up. some time it works better from off rather than a restart. if you still dont see it, yourll need another monitor, as that one is being picky with the res.
The key has been Delete with my old monitor, but F2 doesn't work with my new monitor, either. I've read that it's F2 on some keyboards, and small keyboards in particular. When using my other monitor, I don't need to spam the button, I can just hold it down.

If there's an issue with the monitor detection or detecting something, hopefully Asus will fix it. It's an Asus monitor and motherboard.

changing monitors does not change which button to push to enter the bios. bioses use odd low resolutions, the new monitor might not like it. try an older one.

I'm finding that I can consistently enter the BIOS with the new monitor if I Shift-key + Restart from the start menu, to boot into the Advanced Options screen (which doesn't display on the monitor but is just a black screen), and then, while at that black screen, press the Space key, which resets the PC again while making an Asus screen appear that says press Delete to enter the BIOS. If I'm not holding down the Delete key as the system starts booting after memory training, that screen won't display. But if I am holding the Delete key down, that screen will display and it'll go into the BIOS after that.

I'm going to push Asus for a fix, because it's a premium Asus monitor and a premium Asus motherboard, both part of their current lineup, and they should work together without an issue like this.

Back