I can't even explain.

depikT

n00b
Hey Guys,
I really appreciate you reading my post and hopefully helping me out in finding a solution to my problem. I am not an expert when it comes to computers so sorry if what I say might sound distorted.
Currently I play Counterstrike 1.6 competitively, and I decided that I would reformat my computer so I would be playing off of a lessbuggier fresh copy of windows. Now, when I reformatted, everything worked fine. I installed xpy, ccleaner, and other security software. The problem is that when I installed Mozilla, the overall speed in Mozilla was abnormal to what I was used to. For example, like youtube, now when I go to youtube and select a video to watch it takes very very long to load. And when he video starts playing it is about 3/4 done loading. Another example is downloading files such as Steam. I go to steampowered.com and click on the "download steam for free" icon. The download page loads but I am sitting for probably 5 minutes waiting for a text box to appear from mozilla asking me to "Save File". When I click on save file however the download takes less than a second. Before when everything was working fine I was about to go to YouTube click on a video and watch in less than 1 second, or download a file upon clicking the mirror or whatever instantly; not having to wait basically.
I tried fixing this problem before by reformatting like 2 times but I got the same thing over and over. My computer is getting internet connection via a wireless router bridge which I flashed DD-WRT with. **Whats weird though was that the computer that has the modem next to it used to have the same problem. It was an office computer so I didn't really care. But now youtube and downloading files works exactly like it did here (the computer I have problems with) before I reformatted and vice versa. It feels like the performance of internet shifted from my computer to the one downstairs (next to the modem).**

Sorry I might now sound clear, but I really don't know what to do. If anyone might have any information on solving this please respond. I really appreciate it alot!

Thanks.

so you reinstalled windows ....with all the service packs? what is xpy? i assume your talking about windows xp? are you missing drivers in the device manager? im sure others will chime in .

Yeah... try a different browser like Chrome or something first.

I just tried and no luck. I tried Internet Explorer, Mozilla FireFox 2.0, Google Chrome. I also tried disabling my security software.

Im going to say XPy is your problem.

Small tool which disables the default threats of a Windows XP installation. Besides disabling Windows and some of its components to communicate with Microsoft servers, xpy improves privacy settings and your system’s security.

Features:
- Disable Windows communicating with Microsoft
- Disable questionable services
- Tweak Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player
- Remove Windows Messenger
- Improve privacy and security
- Improve performance

My guess is that it's fucking up your network settings in order to block communicating with MS, and all the other shit it does.

Im going to say XPy is your problem.

My guess is that it's fucking up your network settings in order to block communicating with MS, and all the other shit it does.

yeah thats pretty gross.

I'd avoid that if at all possible. If you want to find out about your computer phoning home use netstat -anb, or a networking sniffer, don't just start killing services.

Well it restricts certain windows operations. But when I install xpy I dont click everything to be disabled. For example, xpy has options where you can increase maximum connections, disable Microsoft outlook, disable automatic updates, disabling prefetch (partially), Windows Indexing files, and a lot more.

Well it restricts certain windows operations. But when I install xpy I dont click everything to be disabled. For example, xpy has options where you can increase maximum connections, disable Microsoft outlook, disable automatic updates, disabling prefetch (partially), Windows Indexing files, and a lot more.

and you don't need XPy to do any of that. and a lot of that stuff is detrimental to performance or security.

Also you can disable all those in the service window in the control panel. Not a fancy easy stupid click and apply but it will do the same exact same thing as xpy

Here's my guess. Some piece of software, most likely XPy, is causing the problem. It sounds to me like whatever software is doing this is checking for malicious code. So when you download a file, or view a movie, the software needs to download enough of it to check to see if it's malicious. That is why things take forever to download (XPy is scanning to check for security issues), then once it's finished it appears to be an instantaneous download (because it's already been completely downloaded).

Verify by disabling installed software from starting up using msconfig.exe or autoruns from Sysinternals. After disabling an item, reboot and test. If the problem went away you've narrowed it down. Uninstall that software and get something else.

Back