I can't choose which FTP server program to use! :(

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
This is seriously mind boggling for me. I've been using Bulletproof FTP and I actually love it. It took me a while to set it up but now it's a breeze after experience. But I forgot that it was a trial and well... crap. It expired and now my FTP doesn't work. :p

Well, I've been looking for a similar FTP server program. I like the ease of use but at the same time I don't mind something very complicated (because I'd feel smarter once I do it :D). I want one FTP server program to use. Not several, but one. I've gathered some of the recommended FTP server programs but I can not choose one. It's difficult. I don't want to try all of them out in fear of my perfectly installed computer going kaput after a couple of tries.

Keep in mind, I use FTP for generally friends, school, and database "safe". I have three main folders that take care of these: Private, Public, and Upload. Private is for all my apparently private things. Public are for pictures, various configs/text, so on. While Upload is for people wishing to upload to that folder and even I use it to send it across from another computer. I do this for the sake of keeping it simple and secure.

So here are the following and please tell me yes/no to which to use and why (if you may). They are also free. :)

WarFTP
Serv-U
GuildFTP
CeasarFTP

What should I go for? Thank you so much. :p

-J.

Disclaimer: I saw your long post and decided not to read it. I skipped to the list of FTP program options.

That said, I use SmartFTP with my university web space. Works nicely for me.

I use Serv-U for my server and I like it a lot, has everything you could want

Vile said:

Apparently, no one reads anymore nowadays.

I quote myself...

Myself said:
I've been using Bulletproof FTP and I actually love it. It took me a while to set it up but now it's a breeze after experience. But I forgot that it was a trial and well... crap. It expired and now my FTP doesn't work.

Don't mean to be mean, but please read before you post.

-J.

GeForceX said:
Apparently, no one reads anymore nowadays.

I quote myself...

Don't mean to be mean, but please read before you post.

-J.

Doh, sorry...

Either way, if you like it, why not purchase it? (BFFTP) It's most likely not working anymore only because the trial expired.

All of the programs you mentioned have the features that you need (They are basic functions of FTP servers)

:) Well, I'm stuck though. I want to use the absolute best that I can keep on using for the "next decade or so". But blah, I will try WarFTP. I don't like those 'noob-friendly' programs for some reason. It makes me feel... noob. :p

-J.

I've always been a fan of BulletProofFTP Server, even way back when it was Gene6 FTP Server, it's still virtually identical. Great features, relative ease of use.

Buy it! :)

I have been using Guild FTP for a feew months and have had no problems. I like it and would reccomend it.

My first was Gene6 (BulletProof), and I really recommend it, but if you don't want to register I'd go w/Serv-U, easy to get set up and monitor w/some decent features.

I'm going to have to agree. BulletProof FTP is pretty much worth the money, even compared to those free FTP servers. It's clean and very clear. Got me up and running in less than 20 minutes (on my first trial!). But I've been trying WarFTP and... it works. =-o. It's complicated, but I carried over my experience with BulletProof FTP over to WarFTP and well, I had it successfully run within two hours.

ftp://yiffzer.no-ip.info :)

Notice: The ftp may or may not be up, depending if this computer is shut down and/or gets disconnected from the net. If logging in fails, simply logon as 'anonymous' with no password.

-J.

GuildFTP is the easiest and best out of the free ones I feel, you can't really beat BulletProof though, the program is just so lite and small, and it works so good.

Back