I can't "buy" win XP-64 at the store?????

SkullE

Gawd
What the hell is wrong with this picture. Do those bastards at microsoft know how many of us have 64 bit cpu's?

Now i'm going to have to steal it. DAMN IT. (j\k)

I have XP home and in no way am i going to buy XP pro just to upgrade to 64. I just want to buy the XP-64 upgrade.

SkullE said:
What the hell is wrong with this picture. Do those bastards at microsoft know how many of us have 64 bit cpu's?.

Yeah, and its currently a very small percentage of the market.

I think Microsoft assumed that any home user who would seriously consider installing XP-64 would likely already be an XP Pro user.

Just out of curiousity, what is the driver for most people to upgrade their home systems to 64? I'm not saying it shouldn't happen soon. I'm just not understanding why people are bent on doing it right now. Is it just the bling-factor? First kid on the block? Are there general feelings that there will be better performance for programs you actually use, or are there specific applications (Premeir Pro?) that might actually use the architecture in a significant way?

From a home user perspective I'm more from the "wait until a lot more drivers are out of beta release and maybe even a killer app or two appears" camp.

It's a speed thing. i think farcry has a 64 version already. apps should run faster, games should run faster, should have higher stability. and yea the bling factor is in there too.

Look at it this way, I have an AMD 3500-64 and by the time longhorn comes out with its 64 bit version i'll have upgraded again making the 64bit part of this cpu i have now having never seen the light of day.

SkullE said:
What the hell is wrong with this picture. Do those bastards at microsoft know how many of us have 64 bit cpu's?

Now i'm going to have to steal it. DAMN IT. (j\k)

I have XP home and in no way am i going to buy XP pro just to upgrade to 64. I just want to buy the XP-64 upgrade.

Give it time, Microsoft typically releases the OS to OEMs a full month before it goes "retail".

Plus there isn't nearly enough support for it yet, so don't freak out about it to soon.

How about upgrading to pro? Can't you do that then upgrade to 64bit?

~Adam

yeah, the Windows XP Pro upgrade will work, and you won't have to steal anything.

Until the driver situation improves, I don't see much point in th emajority of users switching to 64-bit edition. It was bad enough when there were no mainstream drivers at the launch of XP, MS probably want to avoid that situation.

About Far Cry - I think the '64bit version' works fine in regular XP. It's actually designed to take advantage of the Athlon 64, like some games take advantage of SSE instructions if available.

Reference this thread regarding a "cheap" upgrade to x64. I'll be doing it since I have 2 copies of XP Pro that were purchased with a system (well, one was anyway) within that time frame and can afford to have one license "revoked" in favor of a x64 license.

purchase an MSDN subscription and then you can just d/l the disk images from M$oft. ;)

mattjw916 said:
purchase an MSDN subscription and then you can just d/l the disk images from M$oft. ;)

Yeah great idea. Everyone has $3000 they can use to buy a 1 year subscription to MSDN. :rolleyes:

Actually I know this doesn't apply to everyone but if you have an SLI setup with DVI+Widescreen LCD you also have a bug that causes the cards in the SLI setup to perform worse than if in a standalone setup. This is due to a driver bug that only exist when SLI+DVI+widescreen LCD are combined. The nice thing is that if you have a 64 bit CPU, and move to windows XP pro x64, and run the 64 bit nforce drivers the bug is no longer present and you actually get the performance from SLI that you payed for. Oh yeh and the system is supposed to have an overall increase in performance.

I have the offical gold XP64 bit (got it 2 days ago) Its for work only thought :( And i would never make a copy of it for me..... :p

But its not all that hot... nothing works on it. limited to DirectX 9.0b Windows mediapalyer9 (10 dosnt work) My games really didnt run any better....Acholo 120% dosnt work on 64-bit!!! neither dose any emulation software!!! and I can live with it if i have to use my CDs to start shit...!!!

I say hold your hourses, be pachient, it will come when it comes, and it will be usefull when everyone catches up to it..

I(illa Bee said:
...limited to DirectX 9.0b Windows mediapalyer9 (10 dosnt work)...

Sure about that? The RC2 version I have installed on my system had WMP 10 and Direct X 9.0c, both built in to the OS.

You don't need x64 right now. It won't be useful to the common 64-bit consumer for several months.

Sure I didn't need to buy a 64bit Athlon, but I had run to the end of the line for my old chip and needed to get a new one. Rather than buy an NF2 mobo I bought a Socket 939 so that it would last a while. I have a 64bit chip, I'd like a version of Windows that takes advantage.

But there are still ways of buying x64 that will be legal (that may or may not involve buying a fan finger guard or a power lead or whatever). So don't worry about it just yet.

ColinR said:
Sure I didn't need to buy a 64bit Athlon, but I had run to the end of the line for my old chip and needed to get a new one. Rather than buy an NF2 mobo I bought a Socket 939 so that it would last a while. I have a 64bit chip, I'd like a version of Windows that takes advantage.

But there are still ways of buying x64 that will be legal (that may or may not involve buying a fan finger guard or a power lead or whatever). So don't worry about it just yet.

Mosty of us didnt buy the chip to run windows 64-bit. We Bought them because ther just plain fast. There are more advantages than windows 64bit compatibility. For example, a stock s754 2800+ Walks away from a 3200+ AXP in almost every benchmark. You dont need Win64 to take advantage of you system, I even venture s far to say, you can do less right now with windows XPpro sp2 than you can with windows 64-bit.

And if you still want it, then like everythign eles you can wait for it to hit retail shelves or etailers. OEMs allway get this stuff first dont be mad about it now...

Personally Im planning on putting off my decision on whether to upgrade to XP64 until mid-July to see what the driver issue is going to be like. If there are drivers for my hardware then I will upgrade...

I(illa Bee said:
And if you still want it, then like everythign eles you can wait for it to hit retail shelves or etailers. OEMs allway get this stuff first dont be mad about it now...

There won't be a retail version. The OEM copies are it.

My XP Home on my lappy worked
is this a fluke??
I'll post a screenie of my email if you want proof.

I guess Im just lucky.

Kevin Lowe said:
There won't be a retail version. The OEM copies are it.

OEM, Retail, whatever, Im jsut saying wait untull places like newegg sells it. They will eventually. And im sure once 64bit OS is the standard there will be retail copoies of it....unlees longhorn gets done oneday..

Back