I can't believe it I bought a compaq....

kernal_panic

Limp Gawd
been into pcs for 11 years.. 1st pc was a compaq 33 mhx 486.

last computer was a shuttle ss51g w/ a 2.0 p4 clocked to 2.4. well saturday I finally broke down and bought a new pc. freind of mine works at office depot and got me 10% off the compaq sr1830nx bundle. amd 3500, gig of ram, 200 gig hdd, dvd burner w/ lightscribe, media center, fire wire, the works. just need to find a good PCI-E card for gaming now.

kernal_panic said:
been into pcs for 11 years.. 1st pc was a compaq 33 mhx 486.

last computer was a shuttle ss51g w/ a 2.0 p4 clocked to 2.4. well saturday I finally broke down and bought a new pc. freind of mine works at office depot and got me 10% off the compaq sr1830nx bundle. amd 3500, gig of ram, 200 gig hdd, dvd burner w/ lightscribe, media center, fire wire, the works. just need to find a good PCI-E card for gaming now.
how much did you pay? i see the sr1830nx bundle(pc,monitor,and printer) listed for $459 to $489. i hate the 7600 monitor that comes with it because they make a humming noise.

Heh, my first computer (well, real computer, meaning it ran Windows, albeit only 3.1 when I got it) was a Compaq Pentium 100 machine, it sucked lots and lots of balls. Before that it was some generic 286 box.

The new ones I have heard are a lot better, my little sister has one, and I get the pleasure of working on it and reformatting the drive every time I visit back home, but that's just because she downloads every type of spyware and adware known to man, the inside of the machine is pretty decent.

My first rig was also a Compaq. That Pentium 200 Mhz and 16mb of ram ran everything I threw at it back then.

My first computer was also a Compaq it was a p4 2.4, 768 ram DDR 2100, 80 gig HDD, eVGA 5500, and a DVD/cdrw combo drive. I added the eVGA, another 512 ram, and another 40 gig HDD. It was was a wonderful mechine for 699. With monitor and a HP 2110 all in one printer from Office Depot.

thats $459-$489 is the "after rebate price". the bundle was $809.99. I got almost $81 off the top. OTD was $772.61. a gave the 17 inch monitor to one of my freinds whose monitor blew up on him. I have to send in for the $320 in rebates. total will be $452 after tax. i priced out a system with identical specs at newegg today and it would run $550 before shipping. plus I wouldn't get the card reader and firewire. I pulled 512 meg from the old shuttle and my old PATA 200 gig seagate and installed them. not a bad upgrade really. now I have a 3500+ on the 939 bus 1.5 gigs of ram and 400 gigs of disk space. plus the lightscribe burner burns 8x dvd+rs at 16x.

i did spend 2 hours with add/remove programs removing bloat ware central.

kernal_panic said:
thats $459-$489 is the "after rebate price". the bundle was $809.99. I got almost $81 off the top. OTD was $772.61. a gave the 17 inch monitor to one of my freinds whose monitor blew up on him. I have to send in for the $320 in rebates. total will be $452 after tax. i priced out a system with identical specs at newegg today and it would run $550 before shipping. plus I wouldn't get the card reader and firewire. I pulled 512 meg from the old shuttle and my old PATA 200 gig seagate and installed them. not a bad upgrade really. now I have a 3500+ on the 939 bus 1.5 gigs of ram and 400 gigs of disk space. plus the lightscribe burner burns 8x dvd+rs at 16x.

sounds like a good deal, apart from the bloatware.

my first PC was an XT iirc.

drizzt81 said:
sounds like a good deal, apart from the bloatware.

my first PC was an XT iirc.

Heh, I used to babysit a kid whose family owned an XT. After he went asleep I would play on it for hours using QBASIC to write random musical tones having to write it all out in Hz.

recommending a defrag, if it hasn't been done already. i have had to do it on all of these here.
congrats on the purchase. peace.

NulloModo said:
Heh, my first computer (well, real computer, meaning it ran Windows........)
Of course WE ALL KNOW any REAL COMPUTER absolutely needs to run WINDOWS....... Unix/Linux/etc boxes are all TOYS!!!!!

My first was an Apple 2C+ gotten for Number munchers :). After that, I beleive it was an Aopen machine... well, at least the case was.

I got my first CD Drive sometime a round 1995, and was finally able to play CD's. Then I upgraded to DVD's the month they came out in 1997....

Heh, I was watching an old episode of Fraggle Rock. Doc gets in a brand new computer, and he's so damned proud that it has 64Kilobytes of RAM :)..

kernal_panic said:
not a bad upgrade really. now I have a 3500+ on the 939 bus 1.5 gigs of ram and 400 gigs of disk space. plus the lightscribe burner burns 8x dvd+rs at 16x.

Good score! The only Compaq I ever bought was a Presario 910 with the original ATI Radeon IGP northbridge -- after 4 years, it still runs perfectly.

also in for the first computer was a compaq crew

1.7GHz P4
512MB RAM
80GM HD
front panel CD holder lmao.

kernal_panic said:
I pulled 512 meg from the old shuttle and my old PATA 200 gig seagate and installed them. not a bad upgrade really. now I have a 3500+ on the 939 bus 1.5 gigs of ram .

are you able to run dual channel with 3 sticks of ram?

Back