I cannot decide! Another crossfire dilemma

I have 2 MSI 7850s and have not had any issues at all- in fact, my games are running fantastic with them. My dilemma is that I just bought a Sapphire 7970 gzh Vapor-x on a whim. I got it today and I'm underwhelmed. I'm getting lower scores on the Heaven benchmark than I am with my crossfire setup. I want to keep the 7970 but I need someone to talk me into it. I just can't justify the cost.

How is the perceived performanced? You might get higher numbers on your crossfire performance but stutter could ruin the actual gaming experience.

How do your games look and feel single card vs dual card?

How is the perceived performanced? You might get higher numbers on your crossfire performance but stutter could ruin the actual gaming experience.

How do your games look and feel single card vs dual card?

That's the thing, I haven't had any issues with microstutter. Granted, I've only played a few games (currently Bioshock Infinite) but they feel great.

7850 in X-fire should be faster than single 7970 by a hair. I know two 7870s leave it behind quite substantially..

Sell your 7850s and get another 7970? Best of both worlds.

I have 2 MSI 7850s and have not had any issues at all- in fact, my games are running fantastic with them. My dilemma is that I just bought a Sapphire 7970 gzh Vapor-x on a whim. I got it today and I'm underwhelmed. I'm getting lower scores on the Heaven benchmark than I am with my crossfire setup. I want to keep the 7970 but I need someone to talk me into it. I just can't justify the cost.

Bioshock Infinite is hardly a demanding game; and a benchmark isn't a game :).

At similar speeds, a single card is always better. Maybe not much better, depending on the game, drivers, how hard the cards are driven, but you get the point.

If the HD7970 isn't faster, is it quieter? Do you expect to play any games coming out in the next year or so, that might take advantage of the extra VRAM?

Or sell your 7970 and get two more 7850s!

I-See-What-You-Did-There..png

Do you enjoy playing Heaven more or less with the 7970? ;-).

As already mentioned, Bioshock is also not a great game to see the differences between the cards...

Overall, it is a bit of a lateral move between the two cards. The extra vram on the 7970 will likely make it usable for longer into the future compared to the (presumably) 2gb you have on the 7850's. Either way, as the others said, sell them all for a 290 and have fun...

Dump the 7850s for another 7970. There's no upgrade path with the 7850s. Though I'd go the otherwise suggested route and send the 7970 back, sell the 7850s and get a 290. At least when good coolers are available.

Back