I can go two ways

RayDaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
1,541
want to upgrade my rig: i have two chioces.

upgrade current 775 setup.
go from e4300 & 2g ram & 8800gts to:

#1
e8400
new psu
4gb ram
GTX 260 (192) or 5770
Cost to me $330

#2
I7 920
new board
3x1 gb of ram
new psu
gtx 260 or 5770
Cost to me $660


Is option 2 worth it? or should i wait on I7 go option #1 mostly gaming and a little vid conversion but not much.
 
both to be Oc'd Windows 7 64 bit. games are right now batman, Far cry 2, crysis warhead, bioshock 2. moving foward whatever the latest and greatest is
 
Sell LGA775 parts to help offset the upgrade to LGA1366. Should lower the cost to around $500 or so -- unless you can't afford that. ;)

Worth is subjective. Since you play the latest and greatest, I would think platform upgrade would do you good.

In addition to g's questions, what size monitor do you have?
 
well mobo is gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R it will take the e4300 to about 3ghz. upgrading psu to pc power & cooling 750 quad. either way for future moves/upgrades. itll cover me any way i go.
 
5850 is too much. only way Im spending $600 is if i go I7. investing in the future. thanks though.

I am asking for these 2 scenarios though thanks
 
5850 is too much $. i got 120-150 for a used card only way Im spending $600 is if i go I7. investing in the future. thanks though.

E6300 has only 2 mb cache same as e4300 i can get e4300 to 3ghz no real upgrade there. e8400 has 6mb cache 45nm and higher bus. oc'd that seems to be the best bet,

just torn if to spend the additional 300 or save it.

I am asking for these 2 scenarios though thanks
 
#2.

I ROFL'd at your thread title BTW. Personally, I think you could have worded it better.:D
 
well im really torn cause if performance of I7 is really tremendous id go that way but if not the "big leap" i think it is maybe i should just wait and beef up a little. looking for opinions more than anything
 
well i could hold off on card and run my 8800gts 320 for a bit longer i guess. batman AA seems to play ok on it. what would far cry 2 and bioshock 2 do on that card. those are my next 2 to play that'd keep me busy for awhile.

I can get a gtx 260 for $120 but I dont know if that worth it long run
 
I can get a gtx 260 for $120 but I dont know if that worth it long run
If you don't mind the fact that's it's used and has no warranty (assuming non-XFX version), go ahead and pick up the GTX 260. Assuming of course your PSU can handle the GTX 260. Speaking of which, what PSU do you have now?

E6300 has only 2 mb cache same as e4300 i can get e4300 to 3ghz no real upgrade there. e8400 has 6mb cache 45nm and higher bus. oc'd that seems to be the best bet,

The E6300 is based on the Wolfdale core. The E4300 is based on the old Allendale core. The Wolfdale cores are at least 10% faster than their old Allendale brothers. Since you can hit 4GHz with the E6300, that's an extra 1Ghz of performance on top of the 10% inherent performance increase over your E4300.

I am asking for these 2 scenarios though thanks

Both scenarios are not that good
 
So you're saying you go both ways?.... :D


Anyways, I say option #2 if those are the only options. Option #1 seems silly to me since the CPU is already a generation old, atleast go core i3 if you're upgrading...
 
Q9400 and Radeon 5850 w/ 4GB RAM.
Those games you mentioned are pretty demanding, after all. The Q9400 overclocks well, and the 5850 is worth the extra $$ for the games you're playing.
 
Back
Top