• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I call it bloody stool

Vyger2002

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
76
This is the first part of of a near complete mod that a friend of mine (bradyapba) and I have been working on. The URL above references complete case and parts which are virtually identical to these from Voyeurmods.com, Danger Den and Crazy PC.

We spent weeks researching the cases alone so I will start here. In this you can see the Lian-Li PC7AW. I have always owned heavy cheaper cases, so this was a pleasure to work with.

The major reasons I chose this particular design was for its classy and elegant aluminum finish, heat dissipation and Lian's standalone reputation. The second was that what I had envisioned for cooling had to fit in a mid-size case and three had to have two 120mm fans. Two complaints about this case however,

1. There should have been more thumb screws that are Lian-Li specific to their product.
2. There should have been a cable management system.

In any case, I made my own cable management as you can see from the dismantled side pic below. A simple bi-metal 1-1/2” hole saw solved that problem. Because our PSU was also longer than normal I had to measure accordingly. Also notice that the top of the case has been removed. This was done by drilling out the rivets, which also made all additional work so much easier. I had originally intended on mounting the radiator to this top panel after laser cutting the 240mm opening with the Aqua Computer Grill over that. That later changed to two Black Ice Pro radiators on each side of the case. I will explain why later and in comparison to Bradyapba's external setup temps later.

Until the next time...

345689%3A%3B23232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323336%3B6%3C9%3A%3A4nu0mrj


345689%3A%3B23232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323336%3B6%3C9%3A%3A3nu0mrj
 
FINALLY!!!!!

Its about time!!! Hes got more pics!!! And some pics of yours truly!!

And its red! Wait til you see why he called it bloody stool!!!

For now!

But we are gonna make it blue later!

We love Water cooling!

And I love his 2 Rad system!
 
Dude....Bloody Stool...That made my night...Def appreciate it....I've been sick all week....Been needing a good laugh
 
I <3 Lian Li mods... but I just gotta know something.

At the bottom of the case - is that sound deadening material? If so, where'd you get it? I've been looking for some that's plain black without logos but haven't had any luck. Thanks in advance
 
Bloody stool? How about Melena Mania?

BTW, almost all the Lian-Li screw holes are 3mm x .5mm including the card thumb screws. So feel free to locate your own screws and do what you want. I have been using stainless steel buttonhead socket cap screws everywhere on my Feeding Frenzy project. When there isn't an appropriate hole I drill and tap one. I even use them to hold down my MB. :)
 
Thanks Nurse. I honsetly did not think about the Tap and Die. I did however find what I needed from ACE hardware. But I should not have had to do that with Lian's product; can't be that much to throw in a few extra screws. Overall I can't complain. Their's is the nicest case I have worked with along side the Tsunami.
 
I’m back. Duty had called.

These are additional images of the Lian-Li case that was to be used.
3457376323232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3A%3B%3A7%3Bnu0mrj

3457376323232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3A%3B%3A78nu0mrj

3457376323232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3A%3B%3A84nu0mrj


With the PC case basics out of the way, next was time to research the actual cooling parts. This was not so much my department as it was Bradyapba’s. Nevertheless, our entire clinical decision making was a team effort. OK, so he dragged me in and did most of it, but I was quite handy. My intention was to make this a single WC unit and not house any components external to the Lian-li as he did. To do this in a midtower is hard without having an ungodly site of tubes and wires but I was determined to make it so.

3457376323232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3A%3B%3A83nu0mrj


Anyway, referencing the pieces that went into this mod and worklog:

Originally, the DD Black Ice Pro II Radiator
And now…
Two DD Black Ice Pro Radiator #3
DD Copper TDX Block for Athlon64 939
DD Low Profile Acetal Version MAZE4GPU
MCT-5 Non-Conductive Solution
Swiftech MCP655 pump
Primoflex (clear and red) ½” ID 3/8” OD
Voyeurmods Red Hose Clamp-1/2”
Voyeurmods Typhoon - Floppy Bay Reservoir
Logisys Dual 12 inch Cold Cathode Kit
Pep Boys Wire Loom
2 DD Fillports

The first problem I encountered was in the top of the case where the Black Ice Pro II radiator was to be fixed on the underside;

3457376323232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3A%3B%3A88nu0mrj


due to the longer length of the OCZ Powerstream, my wire management out the side of the case proved valuable. Although this freed some space, it was only enough by 1/8”. The top two 5-1/2” drive bays were already empty and the rad/fan combo would extend into it with the barbs closer to the PSU.

3457376323232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3B4937nu0mrj

3457376323232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3A%3B%3A77nu0mrj


In the bottom of the Lian-Li, the HDD trays had to be moved to accommodate the location of the Swiftech pump. My reservoir was the Danger Den Fillport with a y-barb to the lower fillport for drainage in a yet to be determined area.

3457376323232%7Ffp337%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3A%3B%3A79nu0mrj


This idea bothered me and prompted a major change. The two hard drives above the120 mm fan and not in front of it where they were originally, and being placed in the 3-1/4 bay without proper heat dissipation would get hot! Additionally, there was no sweet spot for the fillport.

3457376323232%7Ffp337%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3B985%3Cnu0mrj


The changes:

Referencing the schematic, it was believed that two rads are better than one.

3457376323232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3B493%3Anu0mrj


Note the cooling factor. From the following digital pictures you can see that I had placed the two radiators at the front and rear of the case using the factory 120mm fans.

3457376323232%7Ffp337%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3B48%3B6nu0mrj

3457376323232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3A%3B%3A55nu0mrj


These Lian Li fans (ADDA AD1212LB-A73GL) are very efficient and very quiet. Rated 72 CFM at only about 34 dBA, this was a significant difference between others like Logysis are 69.15CFM and 39.29 dBA. I not only want cool, I want QUIET!

The fillport drain was idea was borrowed from DD.

3457376323232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323336%3B735926nu0mrj


Te be continued....
 
Part 3

In the following, you can see where I mounted the UV red reservoir. One thing I should have known about anything red in UV, it’s really orange. Not that it’s bad, but when I originally looked into these cases and UV parts, I was leaning towards the black aluminum with a red glow. I could have done this with LED, but something about the natural silver aluminum finish appealed to me. Anyway red was really orange and it lost the flavor before I even put the tubes in.

345766%3B523232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323336%3B6%3C9%3A%3A7nu0mrj


The pump was not so challenging, most people rest theirs in the bottom. With the Swiftech parts, I knew there was way to mount the pump. I am not sure it’s entirely necessary but it was an interesting idea. I may take out the bracket that is attached to the underside of the 3-1/4” bay to avoid additional clutter. Unless someone else thinks otherwise?

345766%3B523232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323338%3A9%3B%3A58%3Bnu0mrj


345766%3B523232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3A%3B%3A59nu0mrj


345766%3B523232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323336%3B735929nu0mrj


There were some questions as to whether this Maze 4 would fit with an SLI setup. Here is the link to that thread and more pictures about it.

The wire management was a bit more challenging. Originally I had loomed everything in the UV sleeves. Although very bright under the UV, I liked the look of the chrome wire loom and covered all aspects of molexs, fans, USB, IE1394 and audio cables.

Here’s Brady holding my tube. :eek:

345766%3B523232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5956%3A%3Anu0mrj


Tubes on..
345766%3B523232%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3B5%3A%3B%3A5%3Cnu0mrj


This is me holding the case.

345766%3B523232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323338%3A9%3B3%3A%3B7nu0mrj


After mixing and filling the MCT-5 with UV red dye and some red food coloring, I knew what was about to happen.

345766%3B523232%7Ffp337%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323338%3A9%3C4%3A26nu0mrj


Red and green make brown. :rolleyes:

That combined with the slight haze in the Primoflex left me with toilet water. Bloody stool if you will.

Next I plan to add the UV lighting. TBC...
 
Quoted from some guy on some forum…

bradyapba

Some updates for temps..
Did some Video card testing using the rtbl video test...
Old tests was 72C with stock cooling..
the artic Cooler reduced that to 62 C
And now with the maze 4..... 48C after 40 minutes of running the program.. it never broke 48 C.
I also used Rivatuner's "find optimized frequency"
Stock of course is 350/1000 with the artic cooler it was 372/1120
With Maze 4 it was 438/1170
CPU Idle is 34-36C, and load now is 45-47C, rock solid...”.

My temps using same equipment essentially...

GPU temp never broke 45C Load. Idle is 39C at 497Mhz core and 1.31Ghz Mem (stock is 450/1.2).
CPU temp Load was 44 and Idle averages between 29-33C.

We's like to think this is attributable to the two radiators. Who knows.
 
:) He is the man behind the curtain.

I have a few more things to list now that I have modified some of the lighting. I had to RMA my Logisys CCFL tubes as they caught on fire in my case! They were great about it though. I had new lights in about a week. I should not have had to pay to ship them though. It was clearly a defect.

Next will be the changeover to PC Ice blue from Brian at Vouyeurmods. He helped me with a few more things, including the lighting.
 
Thanks guys. Here is a close up.

345766%3B523232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3243%3E2%3B3%3E4%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D323338%3A9%3C6543nu0mrj


If you notice in all WC posts the flash always makes these photos look brighter. In this case, with a flash, its more reddish brown. But without it, its bloody stool :p

I plan on putting up some more lighting and HDD cooldrive shots.
 
One thing I don't like is the DFI UV IDE cables. They are too bulky. My old Round MSI cables are so much better. I think I am going to forego theUV aspect with more manageable cables.
 
hey! subscribed! are you plannin on not gettin the brown color? re doin the liquid in the loop?
 
Yes, there will be a re doing of the loop... different hose, and different color of the water....
 
Heh, I've been running with a "bloody stool" water color for about 2 years now. Green UV dye and Water Wetter make a nasty brown. Hopefully the Tygon isn't stained, but it works just fine so I'm not changing it until something breaks.
 
I had also bought RED Primoflex that I never used. I probably would have been about the same, except that would turn black under the black light.

I was going to wait to change the colors too, but since I have some time off around the holidays, I plan to change to blue. I am debating on whether I want to change the hose to the UV Blue Primoflex or just the clear Primoflex and PC Ice blue.
 
i havent used a fillport before, so i was wondering: how does it work when it is horizontal like u have it? could u explain alittle how it works im alittle confused with it, thanks.
 
hes not using it as a fill port... its got a ressie for that... hes using the fill port to empty out the system when he needs too, sort of an "empty port" instead of a "fillport"
 
ahhh ic.... so COULD u use it as a FILLport and still place it on the side, horizontally?
 
YES, what Brady said. Sorry I was preoccupied with the holidays. I plan to resume this venture soon.
 
i realise this is an old thread, but it's giving me some ideas for my upcoming setup, in which I'm looking at the 7B with an internet h2O loop...possibly with two rads also.

Thx for the pics, they helped a lot.
 
glad i could help out with the link....

wont be a dead thread soon though, becuase we are about to do some more work to it, so we will be adding some pics soon!
 
bradyapba said:
glad i could help out with the link....

wont be a dead thread soon though, becuase we are about to do some more work to it, so we will be adding some pics soon!

Nice, looks like I stopped by just in time. :)
 
I had to look for moderation purposes. Nice work. Not what I expected but nice work all the same.
 
Oh My...

the Commander and Chief posted in one of our worklogs.. i dont know what to say.. :)

Except, Sir, Yes, Sir.


We will be replacing some hose, and changing some colors.. hopefully friday night.

Stay Tuned!
 
I like your worklog. I am looking into watercooling and this made it clearer for me. Thanks.
 
bradyapba said:
Oh My...

the Commander and Chief posted in one of our worklogs.. i dont know what to say.. :)

Except, Sir, Yes, Sir.


We will be replacing some hose, and changing some colors.. hopefully friday night.

Stay Tuned!

I am envious of you bro, I wish I had the time to build a rig for myself that was of that caliber.
 
Well Sir, without you, we wouldn't have this great place we call [H]ard.. and get to talk about and share our ideas... get great reviews, and fold like we never have folded before.

So for that Sir, we thank you.

You probably should get one of us to build it for you.. :) save you the time.

And sure the worklog that took one night you post in..

but the one that took 2 months, you dont :(

external water box

Where is the external Box love?
 
I still love you.

Thanks to the admins, thanks to love, thank god.

Thanks everyone else for you looking. I am glad I could help. Brady has a lot to do with that though. He is pushing to do mine and another. Should be interesting if we can get our IT guy to cave. I think he is more particular than all of us. And having access to a MAJOR woodshop, has the potential to create something really beautiful.
 
I think what Kyle had in mind was, he doesn't have the time to put a system together for himself....its not that he cant get the parts, its that he cant get the time to do it... no matter how hard you try, you cant make more than 24 hours a day :)

Vyger and I are glad our project could help you out... we spent a lot of time researching WC'ing out 7's... and we came out with 2 totally different projects as you can see, but have the same basic parts.

I wish I had painted my inside... i thought about it too late...and with time constraints.. it just didn't happen.. but i think i will do the next one.

And im glad i pushed Vyger to WC... he pissed and moaned about it for months.. but then when i started my, he got on board :)

I look forward to your work log!
 
bradyapba said:
I think what Kyle had in mind was, he doesn't have the time to put a system together for himself....its not that he cant get the parts, its that he cant get the time to do it... no matter how hard you try, you cant make more than 24 hours a day :)

Vyger and I are glad our project could help you out... we spent a lot of time researching WC'ing out 7's... and we came out with 2 totally different projects as you can see, but have the same basic parts.

I wish I had painted my inside... i thought about it too late...and with time constraints.. it just didn't happen.. but i think i will do the next one.

And im glad i pushed Vyger to WC... he pissed and moaned about it for months.. but then when i started my, he got on board :)

I look forward to your work log!

I totally understand the time issue...I'm constantly fighting with that myself.

My last Lian-Li was powder coated a flat black 100% inside and out. It looked very nice, and my h2O'd PC-7B will either be a flat black powder coat, or a high gloss/clear coat autobody finish.

I can't wait to get working on it...but I might have to put it off a little bit...as I wouldn't dare start a new project without a camera to do a full log. :D
 
It leaked. I had bloody stool all over to clean up. Took forever.

;)

Actually, been working another mod. The Star Wars one and it has consumed me. That and CounterTerrorism.

Will be posting pics today. I feel so cool. Almost ICE blue. Primo.

G
 
Back
Top