I built a box

Willypants

Limp Gawd
*Sorry for posting this in a second section, but I was told this sub-forum was the place for this sort of thing.

I wanted to get my hands dirty with a DIY project, so I gave this a go. I was attempting to build an AIO with an integrated lcd, speakers, and so on.

PC Specs:

• AMD A8-7650K - $90
  • ECS A55F2-M3 - $20
  • Patriot 2133 2 x 4GB DDR3 1.35V - $40
  • WD 320GB 7200 - Ebay $10
  • Seasonic 400w bronze server PSU - Ebay $20
  • Scythe Kotetsu(collecting dust in closet after getting Arctic Liquid Freezer 240) - $0
  • Toshiba/Samsung slot loading dvd drive - Ebay $8
  • Tontec 10.1" IPS LCD 1280x800 w/ controller board - $85
  • Drok 15w x 2 channel amplifier - $12
  • 2 x Drok 15w speakers - $20
  • 12v/2a wall wort power supply - $4
  • Momentary push button switch - $4
  • USB wireless N adapter - $10
  • 140mm Xigmatech (Exhaust)

Case:

• 11" cube
  • 24/24" 1/8" Lexan - $16 (This makes up the four sides)
  • 4 Peavey Rubber Feet - $3
  • 2 x 11" plywood squares - Free

Picture:

The system actually works very well. Screen is really nice quality, speakers have good volume and range(bass including), and gaming is quite smooth on here(for an APU). It stays cool, and it has a very faint hum from the fan, but otherwise almost silent. Everything gets power from the Seasonic PSU except for the amplifier(too much noise leaking through from other components).

Having built this, I really understand how much of an amateur I really am. I seriously have a newfound respect for case designers. There's all sorts of mistakes I've made in building it, but it was really educational about how to plan things out and doing your research. It was really fun building it, and I look forward to having more fun with it in the future.

Nice all-in-one design. I see one exhaust fan, possibly another exhaust on the power supply, but I don't see any vents or intake fans. Where is thing thing getting air?

Nice all-in-one design. I see one exhaust fan, possibly another exhaust on the power supply, but I don't see any vents or intake fans. Where is thing thing getting air?
It's actually a negative air pressure sort of deal. There's a series of holes on the bottom piece of wood. Not ideal, but temps seem fine.

It's actually a negative air pressure sort of deal. There's a series of holes on the bottom piece of wood. Not ideal, but temps seem fine.
That's cool. I was genuinely curious since I didn't see the holes in any of the pics.

Any chance for more interior shots showing the motherboard?:D
Also, where did you get the bracket to mount the slim-line dvd drive? Did you salvage that off another computer or did you make it?

That's cool. I was genuinely curious since I didn't see the holes in any of the pics.

Any chance for more interior shots showing the motherboard?:D
Also, where did you get the bracket to mount the slim-line dvd drive? Did you salvage that off another computer or did you make it?
Haha, I'm actually glad to hear that they aren't that noticeable.

Definitely though, I'll take some more pictures soon with the side panel off.

Actually those brackets came with the drive(luckily). I was assuming that it didn't so I was scratching my head on that one.

Thats pretty cool. Good job man. Now all you have to do is etch some design on the lexan and put some led strip at the bottom of the lexan so the design glows. That would be sweet. :)

Back