i beat 3dmark vantage (cpu)

At first I was like oh boy big deal and then I looked at it. That's actually pretty amazing. You're only about 650 points under the fastest one on there. Nice!

I wonder what that guy's score would have been if he had done the same...

indeed, sir. the ramdisk is a nice way to cut out a lot of bottlenecks. If you think about it, my benchmark result shows how inaccurate everybody else's has been because their cpu scores have been so limited by their hdd

for the record, the install was occupying less than 2gb of ram. so for benchmarking purposes, if you have 4gb or more of ram, you can allocate enough ram for the install without worrying about it hindering the rest of your results. just remember that whatever is installed there will be gone next reboot.

... just remember that whatever is installed there will be gone next reboot.

... unless you set it to save the ramdisk to the hard drive before it shuts down. this adds considerable amount of time to both the shutdown and startup times, though. :(

Looks like the typical Cuda/PhysX artificially inflated CPU score, what am I missing?

it's installed to a fake partition in ram, rather than a hdd. those numbers were attained by removing the bottleneck imposed by installing it to a hdd, nothing more.

Last edited:
It's like those old CD benchmarks where I would fool it into using a CD image virtual drive instead and it would go off the chart.

that's crappy that their CPU score has anything to do with hard-disk preformance. I can see it affecting the overall benchmark, but why did they code it so that the disk speed matters?

props for playing with a ram disks - I've wanted one for a long time, but never messed with it.

For the longest time - a long time ago -- :)

I really wanted to buy one of those I-Ram PCI powered Ram disks that had four 2GB max slots - so 8GB max, and run 2 of these cards striped in RAID 0 to get a 16GB total drive space, but I could never convince myself that spending all that money on (at the time) expensive 2GB sticks, and the cards themselves was worth it to have a 16GB hard-drive. Combined with the fact that if your PC lost power for more than like 48 hours your OS would erase off the I-RAM cards, because that was all the battery could manage! :p
Here's a 2005 review of that product at Anandtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2480

So I bought a 36GB raptor instead and was happy for a long time with the raptors preformance!

Since then true SSD's have obviously garnered the market.

i got into them as a means for testing network throughput via linux :p

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

that's the software i used, very easy to use

... unless you set it to save the ramdisk to the hard drive before it shuts down. this adds considerable amount of time to both the shutdown and startup times, though. :(

Forgot to mention, ram to hdd and back with a 4x 500gb platter raid0 cuts that time down dramatically :]

Last edited:
Back