I assume this isn't normal? Buzzzz

BADS!97

n00b
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
5
For the longest time my powersupply, when just plugged in and not on... has a low hum/buzz coming from it.

A couple days ago I moved my mobo to another case and put everything else in the case, plugged it in and lost the HDD, dvd drive and video card (8800). I bought a new mobo thinking that was it and got everything up and working (along with a new vid card) and all is well.

The cpu and memory was ok and unharmed in whatever happened.

Do any powersupplies hum or buzz while off? I don't think so but I thought I'd ask.

I really don't want to fry anything else but it's a nice 1000 watt modular high amp power supply.

Should I just toss it and get another one? It's almost 1.5 years old.

thanks
Jake
 
By no means do I think I'm an expert on the matter, but they shouldn't be making any buzz/hum when not running. Certainly not more audible when turned on then their fan. And from your situation it sounds like that stuff may have gotten zapped by the psu or you possibly had a short with the case.

What make/model? It's probably still under warranty if you have all your purchase info. Sorry about your lost hardware, that sucks man :(
 
If it is still under warranty I would contact the manufacturer and try to RMA it. It should not be making any sort of noise when off. When your PC shuts off though, it is still using power. Newer mobos have led power lights that stay on at all times (well mine does anyway), so there is some power still being used even when the PC is off, not enough to cause a buzzing/humming noise.
 
thanks.

It's been a while since I even bothered to do anything but use my pc much less mod it.

I just didn't remember if the p/s buzzed or not since I don't really get down on the floor often to listen to it.

I'll pull it and see about rma'n it and get a new one in the meantime.
 
The buzz is PFC (Power Form Correction) and is perfectly normal. Almost all power supplies of today with PFC make some noise when off to some degree. Some people claim they can not hear it BTW.
 
The buzz is PFC (Power Form Correction) and is perfectly normal. Almost all power supplies of today with PFC make some noise when off to some degree. Some people claim they can not hear it BTW.

Power Factor Correction.
 
The buzz is PFC (Power Form Correction) and is perfectly normal. Almost all power supplies of today with PFC make some noise when off to some degree. Some people claim they can not hear it BTW.
Actually, it's usually caused by coils in the PSU vibrating within the audible range, or by feedback from certain hardware components (usually video cards). Also, it's Power Factor Correction as ryan_975 already pointed out.
 
Everybody thinks electrical noise is coil whine these days, I doubt it. Thanks for the troll/ubergeek correction on using the word form instead of factor.:D
 
Back
Top