I am upgrading

roz1281

Gawd
from an althlon64 3500+ @2 w/ 1gig of DDR2

to

Amd Phenom II X2 550 black edition callisto @3ghz
4 gigs of DDR3 1333

My question is, since I'll be keeping my current video card (8600GT) for a while, will i see any significant gains in video games? At the moment I can run for instance COD4, it's about 20fps with decent graphics. How will that run now?

What is the full specs of your current PC and monitor?

You will get a decent boost from your CPU , but it wont magically enhance your videocard, games that are GPU based will still not get faster.

the 550 phenom II is 3.1 ghz :) .

Last edited:
you will get some boost, from what ive seen while playing CoD 4 it does use up considerable CPU power but thats with bakground stuff on my PC.......with my 9800 GTX and similar build i get 90 FPS solid in CoD 4, no AA and no sync every frame, with 4x AA im down to 70 FPS i think it was, i dont see a huge difference(crappy monitor) so i just turn it off.

should see a small gain in games.. but you will see a bigger gain in your every day stuff..

you might see a little boost in games.

im on an AMD64 3700+ @2.9ghz, 1GB DDR, and geforce 6800. im itching to upgrade so bad.

I have a feeling i'll see some gains in Oblivion and Titan Quest, both very choppy and slow to load / draw assets. I heard Titan quest definately benefits from a fast CPU. And 1gig of RAM is nothing compared to 4. Speaking of RAM, will XP 32 bit recognize all 4 gigs?

Merry Christmas too.

it will see 3.0 to 3.25 GB of your RAM....thats a restriction to the 32 bit windows. though i would still go with 4 GB since if you ever upgrade it will see it

Back