i am SO jelious

Jelious? Does it have something to do with jelly? ;)

(every geek should feel jealous at such a sight)

while that is a sweet farm setup, i would have used the min itx p4 mbs, and then the 12 node farm, would have been as powerfull as 12 p4, not just 4.

Originally posted by dagamore
while that is a sweet farm setup, i would have used the min itx p4 mbs, and then the 12 node farm, would have been as powerfull as 12 p4, not just 4.

he didnt use those because of heat and power requirements..

I know why he did it, and it was a good idea, but i wonder how much he spent on that setup, and if you could build a p4 setup that would a cost about the same and have a simaler power requirement/usage. not knocking his setup, but for me i would have done a p4 or amd setup.

I know why he did it, and it was a good idea, but i wonder how much he spent on that setup, and if you could build a p4 setup that would a cost about the same and have a simaler power requirement/usage. not knocking his setup, but for me i would have done a p4 or amd setup.

yea.. an amd setup would be a mean number cruncher

Originally posted by Icewindius
Some people have way to much free time and money on their hands

i think its badass.. looks like a perfect senior project for my NSA degree... though thats a ways off...

He does specifically state that this is a far more economical solution than a P4 based cluster with the same power. While not giving numbers, I'm inclined to believe him, especially when you consider the ongoing costs.

Originally posted by 2deep
He does specifically state that this is a far more economical solution than a P4 based cluster with the same power. While not giving numbers, I'm inclined to believe him, especially when you consider the ongoing costs.

Yes, read the complete article. He tells you specifically why he DID NOT use a P4 solution. Those reasons are because of heat, power consumption ( noone like high electric bills at home), and price.

As for the reason you owuld have one of these... duh, to get your own article on Mini-ITX website!! heh

Actually I can imagine runnin SETI@HOME on that thing or if your like me and would rather worrie about things colser to home then you run United Devices Leagond Fit to look for a cure to cancer.

..or..

If you got the big bux then you make like 100 of those racks and then charge people processing time on your super comptuer. ;)

yeah, but i bet it won't run half-life 2 or doom 3 at 3200x2400with 12xAA and 32xAF!!!!1one

:p

well I just did some quick calcs on the price of the mobo, RAM, microdrives, the controling HD and his hub and that comes up to around $2,700...that doesn't include any of the cabling or rack that he built...now if it just crunches numbers for folding or something like that then they do have WAY too much time and money on their hands....great system and I wish I could afford it but oh well...guess I will have to wait until I win the lottery

Well, just look at virgina tech and their G5 setup (3rd fastest computer in the world)... a lot cheaper than a cray (I assume) and a lot higher on the list of top 500. A lot can be said for using "cheap" hardware to attain greatness. Too bad the VT computer is being brokenup and sold off as parts... :( I think they are building an AMD solution now. (atleast thats what I have heard)

wait so they paid millions of dollars to build and apple set up and it reaches to third fastest in the world... then they're gonna chop it up and go with something entirely different?

they've been reading these boards entirely too much then. ;)

Yup, you can own a little peice of history. They are selling each G5 individually along with a plack or certificate or something that indicates its exact roll in the supercomputer. (like node# whatever blah blah) and they aint sellign them cheaply... like $2700 or something like that each! Leo Leport mentioned it briefly in passing on the screen savers one time by saying he had seen the sale online and thought, I might as well pick one of those up....

sheesh, wish I made that kind of cashola that I could impulse buy a $2,700 computer.

EDIT: Oops, I guess I was wrong. According to the Macmall link they are going for $2,799 and VT is going to "1,100 Xserve G5s, which will 'take much less power, generate less heat and free up space.'"

EDIT EDIT: "Each unit comes with a "Certificate of Authenticity" which consists of a letter with the serial number of the Power Mac, signed by members of the Virginia Tech Supercomputer Team." - MacMall

Originally posted by Shinare
Well, just look at virgina tech and their G5 setup (3rd fastest computer in the world)... a lot cheaper than a cray (I assume) and a lot higher on the list of top 500. A lot can be said for using "cheap" hardware to attain greatness. Too bad the VT computer is being brokenup and sold off as parts... :( I think they are building an AMD solution now. (atleast thats what I have heard)
The G5s previous used for the cluster are being replaced with G5s in server (rackmount) cases (X-Server?), which take up less space, and draw less power.

Originally posted by Elledan
The G5s previous used for the cluster are being replaced with G5s in server (rackmount) cases (X-Server?), which take up less space, and draw less power.

Yah, thanks, see my edit's above. ;)

Originally posted by Moros
Would something like this be possible with just a bunch of old atx mobo's laying around? How?

Network them togeather and follow the detailed instructions from the article at the beginning of this post. You'll need Linux (FreeBSD 4.8 if you wanna follow the instructions) and MPICH.

why didn't they just wait and buy the server rackmounted stuff!?!? virginia tech that is

Originally posted by HRslammR
why didn't they just wait and buy the server rackmounted stuff!?!? virginia tech that is
It took a while for the X-servers to be released, so they went with the 'standard' G5 first.

Originally posted by Elledan
It took a while for the X-servers to be released, so they went with the 'standard' G5 first.

And they wanted to be in the 2003 Top 5 list

:eek: i want one too... it'd be fun to have one (me and my brother like doing large raytraces...)

that is pretty sick, im happy with my single via 800 server though.

the hell it would. those boards use something like 30 watts of power. a p4 processor ALONE uses about 70 watts, never mind what the board will also eat.

Originally posted by kronchev
the hell it would. those boards use something like 30 watts of power. a p4 processor ALONE uses about 70 watts, never mind what the board will also eat.
Mini-ITX w/ C3: 10 - 15 Watt;
P4: around 85 (Northwood) - 103 Watt (Prescott).

(for comparison: original Pentiums dissipated around 11 Watts)

imagine how fast he can get teh pr0n with that thing;)

i'd love to be able to have that, SETI could find its ET life forms a whole lot faster and prim95 could also find the worlds largest prime number a lot faster:p

Originally posted by retardedchicken
imagine how fast he can get teh pr0n with that thing;)

i'd love to be able to have that, SETI could find its ET life forms a whole lot faster and prim95 could also find the worlds largest prime number a lot faster:p

oh completly, the fucking around potential is amazing...in fact id build it just to say I did it. unfortunatly I have not that kind of moeny and I decided i'm saving up for a bike, so blah.

Back