I am liking Bioshock so far, to my surprise

Capfarland

Limp Gawd
I got bioshock yesterday and have been playing it, I am pleased at how the game runs on high settings + medium textures, great atmosphere & music. the game is very well detailed, I had a bit of trouble with my activation which is my big gripe right now. It asked me to activate my code 2 days in a row and I had to goto bioshock unlock.com and get an activation code of some sort, I hope that doesn't occur again.

Yup, I'm playing it through the first time too and its great. I think I'm about 75% through the game, the story and atmosphere in the game is something else. The only gripe I have is I can't turn on AA in DX10.

I've had a love/hate relationship with the game. I bought it on release day and had to wait till December when I got my notebook to play it since my desktop didn't have a SM3 card and I refused to upgrade my AGP card.

I played and loved it on my notebook for a few days and then started getting crashes to desktop every time I saved in Neptune's Garden. Found out it was a memory leak in Vista, found the fix and was back in love.

Last week I started hating it again because I'm halfway through and was really enjoying it but now I can't load Fort Frolic cause right before it opens the level (loading screen where it says Saving), it crashed to desktop. I searched the 2K Bioshock forums and found out a lot (probably hundreds) of people have the same problem (going back to release 7+ months ago and one tiny patch later). The work-around is something like loading the game on default settings and then once in the level setting them back how you want them and just saving and play through the entire level in one go till you get to the next. I haven't tried it yet because I bought Assassins Creed this weekend along with Supreme Commander (it's now $20).

Bioshock is very enjoyable to me when I can get it to run properly. I sincerely hope you don't have any problems. If you have either of the ones I mentioned, pm me and I'll point you to the places to fix them.

make sure to install the 1.1 patch, The 1.1 patch fixes all the crashes for me, I couldn't play the game for over 30mins wihtout crashing before.

I loved bioshock up until the plot twist. Then I uninstalled it. I've never had a game make me feel used like that... :|

I loved bioshock up until the plot twist. Then I uninstalled it. I've never had a game make me feel used like that... :|

Really? I thought that just made it more enthralling, I haave never been used like that before in a game. That was the only thing that surprised me about Bioshock, beautiful game though.

I am on my second playthrough right now. First time I struggled with ammo, this time my wrench is my best friend. Much more satisfying when you whack a splicer while they are busy attacking your decoy.

Bioshock was good for one playthough but it wasnt actually a game. You played through and the story and atmosphere was great, but the actual gameplay elements were too easy etc.

Im getting some BSOD's randomly in the game now, and it crashed once :confused: Maybe my PC is just getting old.

Im getting some BSOD's randomly in the game now, and it crashed once :confused: Maybe my PC is just getting old.

pc getting old my ass.. I played it on a barton 2500+~2.6 with 2gigs of ram and a 7800 gs.. it ran just fine.. good game.. GREAT story and atmosphere.. Just a bit too much fetch questing for my own tastes...

I just started playing this game not too long ago, I must say it's not bad, but I get creeped out easily by these types of games haha.

i played BioShock, it is a great game but the last boss is too easy...and its the typical move in games such as these....thats the only grip i have with it

Bioshock was good but could have been so much more. I'm sorry to say they dumbed down the gameplay too much from the System Shock days. No real inventory, you get powerful too fast, no penalty for death etc..

I got bioshock yesterday and have been playing it, I am pleased at how the game runs on high settings + medium textures, great atmosphere & music. the game is very well detailed, I had a bit of trouble with my activation which is my big gripe right now. It asked me to activate my code 2 days in a row and I had to goto bioshock unlock.com and get an activation code of some sort, I hope that doesn't occur again.

So that means you activated Bioshock 3 times ? Congratulations. Your Bioshock copy is about to be useless, in the next 2 activations.

Bioshock was good but could have been so much more. I'm sorry to say they dumbed down the gameplay too much from the System Shock days. No real inventory, you get powerful too fast, no penalty for death etc..

I totally agree. I loved the game but I thought it had that dumbed-down feeling too. I thought they really could have put more emphasis on finding creative ways to survive and take down enemies...maybe even to the point where you need to use your surroundings against your enemies to even get through the game.

Totally agree, Bioshock was a missed opportunity. It played nothing like either of the System Shock games - sadly! I loved the premise of the underwater cirty gone wrong, but it missed the mark badly

The worst aspect of the game was that it was very poorly balanced in terms of difficulty. The game was as easy as taking candy from a baby. The game is very console influenced and designed. It turned into an exercise in total averageness with the exception of art direction

Bioshock was good for one playthough but it wasnt actually a game. You played through and the story and atmosphere was great, but the actual gameplay elements were too easy etc.
That's funny ... it looked and felt like a game to me.

Yeah, I'll have to agree with the thread that Bioshock is way too easy. Plus, Irrational made a mistake hyping it up to be spiritual successor to the System Shock series, its really nothing like it. But with that said, Bioshock is still a great game, the narrative and atmosphere are probably the best I've experienced in a game.

Bioshock is an easy game, but just because a game is easy doesn't mean it isn't great.

pc getting old my ass.. I played it on a barton 2500+~2.6 with 2gigs of ram and a 7800 gs.. it ran just fine.. good game.. GREAT story and atmosphere.. Just a bit too much fetch questing for my own tastes...

Havent had another BSOD after changing my flat panel scaling settings.

I love engaging the enemies in huge battles with eachother :D

Bioshock is an easy game, but just because a game is easy doesn't mean it isn't great.

There is a big difference between a game that is easy and a game that is catastrophically balanced in terms of difficulty. It takes the fun out of it and any suspense. The Vita Chambers are a classic example of how not to do it. I grew to hate this game, it made me want to play System Shock 1 & 2 again to see how it should be done.

For those of you who don't like vita-chambers, the latest patch for Bioshock allows you to turn them off. It doesn't make the game that much harder, but I found it more satisfying to play since you know you're not essentially immortal anymore.

I'm about to go to Ryan's office, and I don't find the game too easy. If it gets that way I guess I could push it up to hardest setting. I like the rpg feel to it, If you mean too easy, in comparison to what, System Shock 2? If that's what you are all thinking of yeah it's easy, in that System shock 2 was damn hard, and annoying with the guns degrading and constantly breaking. S.S. 2 was damn scary though. I've not gotten to the plot twist or anything but I think Bioshock lives up to the hype in atmosphere alone. I'm taken with the story, and the mystery or what's going to happen. and find the flexibility of choosing which of the many weapons or plasmids to use for the kills pretty cool. I know I'm coming late to the game, but next up is the strange master piece S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I've not played that yet and look forward to it.

Yeah, I'll have to agree with the thread that Bioshock is way too easy. Plus, Irrational made a mistake hyping it up to be spiritual successor to the System Shock series, its really nothing like it. But with that said, Bioshock is still a great game, the narrative and atmosphere are probably the best I've experienced in a game.

SAY WHAT?!?!?! It doesn't feel like SS2 to you?
Come on, you've got to be joking.
All I could think when I played Bioshock is how familiar it felt to SS2. The story, the upgrades, right down to the effin' gameplay. It was ripped right out of SS2. Being isolated in a world gone wrong, with former civilians as zombies patrolling the grounds and begging to be fragged. The twisting story... even the effin' art direction isn't too far from it's SS2 brethren.

The only real aspect that kept me from thinking SS underwater was infact the resurrection every single time you die; there is really no cares for the player. If you die, you simply resurrect. That being said, with the dif. cranked up and the lights turned off... it's freaking system shock under water.

Bioshock reminded me of System Shock 2 in many ways, but it completely failed to creep me out (System Shock 2 succeeded very well in the department), the weapons were lackluster (but the abilities were fun), it was less RPG-ish than System Shock 2 (which wasn't particularly RPG-ish, but hopefully you follow), and as a release-day purchaser the copy protection only caused me trouble. The environment was well done, so I can't explain why it failed to instill any fear.
I know I'm coming late to the game, but next up is the strange master piece S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I've not played that yet and look forward to it.
I played STALKER right before I played Bioshock. It's a flawed masterpiece, but I loved every minute of it and I can't wait for the sequel (I've replayed it three times all the way through). If it's not obvious, install the newest patch before beginning.

Only complaint I had with Bioshock was the Big Daddies. The first one was difficult to beat because you really didn't have any good weapons. But by the time you got to the third Big Daddy, they went down so easy. I really only struggled with the first two and after that, whenever I saw a Big Daddy I killed it within a matter of seconds to a minute. I wish they remained harder to beat so it added more of a challenge to the game. Like other people said, you became to powerful to soon and no one could stop you.

Bioshock seems to be one of those games that is enjoyable but just makes you wish the series would return to its roots. Sadly you know that will never happen.

I played STALKER right before I played Bioshock. It's a flawed masterpiece, but I loved every minute of it and I can't wait for the sequel (I've replayed it three times all the way through). If it's not obvious, install the newest patch before beginning.

Certainly is, I really wanted to love STALKER. If you are fortunate to play the game without the numerous technical problems then the game could certainly be engrossing. Sadly my copy gave me nothing but crashes to the desktop and BSODs regardless how many times I reinstalled and patched. I was finally forced to uninstall on the last level. Regardless I will buy the prequel in hopes that its a more polished experience.

Back