I am having a major dilemma.

SyphinXero

n00b
Tomarrow I am flying up to Vancouver, Canada to go to Vancouver Film school for 3d Animation lessons for a year. The problem I am having is that I am not shipping up my current computer because of horror stories of the product's being broken on arrival and such. So I "my dad" decided to just go out to a best buy or whatever is up there and buy a pre built computer. Now I have been out of the pre-built computer game for a long time now and am wondering what kind of good deal's I could get up there and what different electronic store's they have. I have a decent size budget and am probably going to just buy the pre build and modify it immediatly after. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Well, I always order my parts online from a store called NCIX, which happens to be in Vancouver. They tend to have some very nice prices, so I would give them a look.

best buy does carry Velocity Micro - about the best pre-built system you can buy in retail. If your dad picked up one of those for you, you'd be set. they have good support and are very well reviewed here. plus their systems are upgradeable since they use non-proprietary parts for everything.

Keep us posted on what ends up happening.

Have a great time in Vancouver - what a beautiful city.

thanks a bunch guys for helping me out here. I have one last question about that tiger direct site. I was wondering Since I will be living in Vancouver will the parts get to me sooner or do they ship from some abscure warehouse in the country? Thanks again guys you are really helping me out alot. I will keep you posted.

ncix has three retail locations in vancouver and will have parts on hand another alright place is http://anitec.ca/ they have a retail location as well so you should be able to find something you like. when i was in vancouver last year on vacation i counted more computer stores then i could shake a stick at and most of them where all reasonably priced (compared to fs/bb etc)

SyphinXero said:
thanks a bunch guys for helping me out here. I have one last question about that tiger direct site. I was wondering Since I will be living in Vancouver will the parts get to me sooner or do they ship from some abscure warehouse in the country? Thanks again guys you are really helping me out alot. I will keep you posted.
just go with NCIX, really good prices, GREAT service, and they should ship quick, or you just go and pick em up :)

SyphinXero said:
I avoid TigerDirect.ca like the plague. They are notorious for not honoring their rebates, and they charge outrageous shipping. All the online ordered parts are shipped from their warehouses in the US by UPS Worldship-very expensive but at least no brokerage fees. They also charge the applicable PST regardless of the province you live in. I'm with the other poster's hee who suggest NCIX. They are the best here in Canada, kind of like our newegg. They also price match, have weekly sales, and have "NCIX Reward points' which you get by subcribing to their weekly email sale flyer, refering others for the sale flyer, submitting product reviews, pictures, information, etc. Realy a top notch place to shop and excellent customer service to top it all off :D Yes, I'm a !!!!!! now after all the excellent service I have recieved over the years!

Back