• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I am getting very angry. Please, help.

HitMan-sC

Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
987
Someone is going to die very soon. I ordered and built the system in my sig almost a month ago. At first, I would get a BSOD upon installing windows, so I ran memtest, and it reported the RAM was bad. So, I RMA'd it, and with the new RAM I was able to install windows, but experienced random reboots. I ran memtest again, and sure enough, more errors. Something seemed kind of strange. I check abit's forums, and I see that there have been issues with the motherboard and the Mushkin 2-2-2 special. So, I RMA'd that again, and ordered 1GB of Corsair XMS PC3200C2 that just came today. I put it in, slots 1 & 3 for dual channel, and the system would not post. I restart, and I got one long beep followed by another long beep. I take stick one out, put stick two in slot 4, clear the cmos, and I get a post. I get into my BIOS, reset my settings, but after it gets past Verifying DMI Pool, I get this message: "NTDRL is missing, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. Please, someone, help. I am going to go insane: I payed over $2000 for a complete system, and I've had nothing but headaches! How can I get 6 BAD DIMMS? Please, I would appreciate any help, as this is really frustrating.
 
Well if nothing else you've prooved that it aint the RAM :D

It's not only dodgy RAM that gives errors in memtest, there's bad mobo, dodgy proc, incorrect voltage from PSU...you get the idea.

There's something else awry here other than bad sticks of RAM, time to start swapping parts out!
 
memory control is not functioning correctly, or is defective. have you tried RMAing the board or trying to possible get a different motherboard? Perhaps the Epox 4PCA3+ that completely "amd talk on" PWNZ)RS XX "amd talk off" every other board currently?

Thanks.
 
Well, the system will not post with two sticks of ram, period. The one stick runs fine, no errors in memtest so far. I'm beginning to think this is also another compatiblity issue with corsair and abit. This is the pickiest goddamn motherboard. I'm seriously thinking about RMA'ing it, but I thought maybe I could get it to work first. Has anyone had any experience with this board?
 
There is no compatibility issue between the Abit 865 and 875 boards and Corsair. It's possible you just got a bad board. If this is causing you this much anger, I'd hate to see what would happen if you really had a tough problem to work. If you thought the memory was bad, you could have tested it on another system, and then you would have known right away if it was the board or the memory.
 
Originally posted by djnes
There is no compatibility issue between the Abit 865 and 875 boards and Corsair....
...but there were some issues with i865 / i875 MoBo's and Memtest86. I had a bunch of MoBo's from three different compaines that would hard lock / report errors / etc. that all got better when the respective BIOS's were updated.

As with any troubleshooting problem, it's always best to strip the system down, to the MoBo, RAM, video card, floppy.....and nothing else. Start there and add hardware one piece at a time as you test for stability.

Good Luck - B.B.S.
 
Looks like a bad module - it wouldn't post in my AMD system either. I am so sick of this setup, I'm going to RMA the motherboard, ram, and possibly the processor for another AMD system. Any recommendations?
 
If the RAM is bad in the other system, RMA it. I would also RMA your mobo just in case. Your mobo could be frying your RAM or something.
 
Originally posted by HitMan-sC
Looks like a bad module - it wouldn't post in my AMD system either. I am so sick of this setup, I'm going to RMA the motherboard, ram, and possibly the processor for another AMD system. Any recommendations?
Your loss.
 
Originally posted by Cows Milk Thrown @ U
Your loss.

:rolleyes:

I suggest RMA'ing the motherboard, if you haven't already. I believe thats where the problem lies. If not, I'd RMA the processor and PSU.
 
I'm RMA'ing the motherboard and RAM. Can anyone recommend me a motherboard/ram combo that is known to work and is efficient? Definately not another abit motherboard, though. I really can't take any more problems - I need stability. :(
 
Originally posted by lorcani
:rolleyes:

I suggest RMA'ing the motherboard, if you haven't already. I believe thats where the problem lies. If not, I'd RMA the processor and PSU.
:rolleyes: back at ya.


Hitman, I suggested the Epox 4PCA3+, it has more than sufficient vcore, and 3.3vdimm.

Another good one would be the Asus P4C800-E
 
Originally posted by Cows Milk Thrown @ U
Definitely, good to know someone other than me is backing Intel up.

For stability? No...

I've had stable AMD systems and stable Intel syetems, and unstable ones of both. It's in knowing what you're doing, NOT in the parts.
 
Fanboy for stating AMD and Intel are both stable and instable? :rolleyes: Please read his statement again. It's quite IMPOSSIBLE for be a fanboy when you say both can be stable, he's not taking sides! Sheessh, touchy today are we? Try decaf.

Anyways, lopoetve, I think the original statement was intel boards for intel chips are good and stable. Because that's quite true, intel boards are VERY stable, but not OCable, so take your pick. If the statement was that Intel is stable vs. AMD, well, that's your fanboy statement there.

As lopoetve said, both can be stable and instable, always has been that way...

Anyways, you really shouldn't be that upset at the parts. This may be a little blunt, but your trouble shooting was incomplete when you RMAed the first stick on RAM and every one since then. That's why you didn't solve your issue. The problem sounds like a bad board, possible damaging RAM. It also could be a bad board and the last RAM you got was bad, it's kinda hard to tell since your so far into it. Anyways, when your testing RAM with Memtest, ALWAYS test the RAM in another machine. Memtest test the memory stability in the system, NOT the chips. Since there are other parts involved in the memory system other than RAM you need to check those as well, namely the mobo (rarely the proc, but it's in the list too). So yeah your so upset but your no longer buying from some companies and parts are being RMAed that don't need. All because you got mad, not because of anything they did... Just remember that when you go and drag THEIR names through the mud, that it was YOUR fault you got so mad in the first place.

Like I said I'm trying to be blunt here, but not only did you get some bad parts (it happens) but you dropped the ball too. Calm down, and next time don't be afraid to ask for help before you RMA so much. We all pay for those mistakes.
 
I'm guessing the mobo, since one stick works and 2 don't. I'm thinking the contoller is bad like some one said earlier. I'm runing a chainteck zenith board. Not many people have it, but I love it.
Runs my system below perfectly fine.
 
Phoenix, yeah, I realized that was what he was probably saying after I posted, and I agree 100%, intel+intel -> stable and simple. Used to be that way for Tyan and AMD.

Cows milk, you need to read something. It's called the RULES. It's at the top of the forum. Then, you need to get a clue. I'm as far from a fanboy as you can get. I use whats best for the buck, ALWAYS, no matter what company it comes from, unless it's crap (cough PC Chips cough). Always have, always will.

You're new here. Don't screw up, I hate seeing newbies get banned for being idiots, and what you're doing around here is generally leading you straight down that path.
 
Ive been using pc chips boards for awhile now, 100% stable with no issues. Ive built maybe 7 systems with the exact same motherboard with no problems, no errors, nothing. Infact i was impressed with usb 2.0 slots on a 30 some dollar motherboard.

Just like what was said about intel and amd, if its stable, its stable i dont give a hoot who puts their name on it.

Back on topic, it could be a number of things. If possible try the processor in a differant computer, or try a differant processor in this computer. Eventually youll get it narrowed down.
 
Phoenix: I've tested all of my memory in my AMD machine. All except the one Corsair stick was stable in my AMD machine, but they failed Memtest in the IC7, although the other Corsair stick ran it just fine. The power supply, video card, sound card, TV card, hard drives and optical drives have all been tested. I'm almost certain it's not the processor. I've posted on the Abit and Mushkin forums and followed plenty of advice before I RMA'd. I upped the voltage to 2.8v, as I was instructed to on the forums, and tried running Memtest. I've solved a few other problems I had with the board. It now appears that Abit has some problems with particular Mushkin and Corsair RAM. I've called Abit numerous times. I had other problems with my wireless networking equipment, which I RMA'd after spending hours on the phone with netgear. It has been a month since I first ordered the parts. I believe I have a right to be just a tad bit frustrated and impatient, so don't tell me I overreacted and blew up for no reason. Good day, sir.
 
Wow, way to misunderstand me. I meant for Pentium4 Motherboards, Intel are the most stable. I am an AMD guy myself (uh, check sig?). This guy already has a 2.8c, why would I recomend AMD? I meant Intel motherboards are the most stable for Pentium 4 CPUs. You cannot OC on them, but stable as a rock.
 
Originally posted by Wixard
Ive been using pc chips boards for awhile now, 100% stable with no issues. Ive built maybe 7 systems with the exact same motherboard with no problems, no errors, nothing. Infact i was impressed with usb 2.0 slots on a 30 some dollar motherboard.

Just like what was said about intel and amd, if its stable, its stable i dont give a hoot who puts their name on it.

Back on topic, it could be a number of things. If possible try the processor in a differant computer, or try a differant processor in this computer. Eventually youll get it narrowed down.

Ever heard of a freak of nature? Go look in the mirror.















:p j/k. You got LUCKY.
 
Originally posted by Lime
Wow, way to misunderstand me. I meant for Pentium4 Motherboards, Intel are the most stable. I am an AMD guy myself (uh, check sig?). This guy already has a 2.8c, why would I recomend AMD? I meant Intel motherboards are the most stable for Pentium 4 CPUs. You cannot OC on them, but stable as a rock.

I understood ya...I was gonna say sumthin...now I can just quote.

..and IMO (and a LOT of others) you are correct.
 
the NTDRL error is a windows error you can just replace the file and it will fix windows
 
Originally posted by lopoetve
Ever heard of a freak of nature? Go look in the mirror.















:p j/k. You got LUCKY.


I built a couple of test systems to be sure. You may also want to check some reader reviews of that board at newegg :)
 
Originally posted by Erland
the NTDRL error is a windows error you can just replace the file and it will fix windows

and you will also get that error if you just installed your os on a sata contoller or your mother board has a SATA controller and your still on cdrom as 1st boot device. Some of these controllers will not allow reaccess of the boot drive on initial install of XP. You install the os and when she does her first reboot you hit delete key and boot to cmos change first boot device to your ide controller or sata controller which ever one has the boot drive on it and reboot you will be surprised.


Example: My ASUS p4c800 e . Sata raid enabled and SATA bootable enabled. Cdrom 1st boot device. After creating my raid array I selected CDRom as 1st boot device and booted the XP install. Intial install with f6 method for the SATA controller without htich , On the 1st OS set up reboot I got a NTDRL error. I said to myself WTF? then it occured to me.I rebooted to cmoss and set the SATA HD as first boot device and rebooted. Bang Window XP in all its glory. I hope this helps.
 
Originally posted by Wixard
I built a couple of test systems to be sure. You may also want to check some reader reviews of that board at newegg :)

Yeah. I trust most reader reviews :rolleyes: :p Most of the public are stupid and never really push the boards.

I built 50 systems using PC Chips boards. Tested with a normal Burn-in suite, bout 3 years ago... 2 different boards.

The result? 4 are running today. 14 had to be RMA'ed before I could ship the systems. 20 died within the year, and were replaced with Abit boards. 8 had bad caps in the second year, replaced with Asus. I don't know where 4 are.

I'd call that a failure. Also -> Read the "Worst mainboard poll" in mainboards. Pc Chips has 90% of the votes.
 
Originally posted by KingPariah777
This kid is begging for trouble.

Seconded. I hate fanboyism (you can't be totally loyal in such a volatile world, look at NV/ATi repeatedly trouncing the other with every revision), but I hate accusations of fanboyism even more.
 
Originally posted by lorcani
Seconded. I hate fanboyism (you can't be totally loyal in such a volatile world, look at NV/ATi repeatedly trouncing the other with every revision), but I hate accusations of fanboyism even more.

Agreed. In a way it reminds me of the 12 yr olds in games calling other people "noobs" or any spelling variant of it. In those cases it seems to take one to know one I suppose.
 
Hell. If any of you know me at all, you'd know that I use the best bang--for-the-buck. I'm a poor college student who just got his first real job :p I can't afford to be a fanboy. :p
 
I'm a poor college student who just got his first real job

just goes to show you that post count is in no way a reflection of wisdom , experience or in this case , age:rolleyes:
 
Originally posted by ciggy50
just goes to show you that post count is in no way a reflection of wisdom , experience or in this case , age:rolleyes:

WTF? :p

What relevance does this have? I've seen lopoetve's posts; they are very informative (example, the R9500NP->R9700P).
 
Originally posted by Lime
Intel for stability

In my experience, Intel can have problems just as AMD, or anybody else for that matter. Your comment "Intel for stability" does not help in anyway as he can still have problems even if he did switch. AMD cpus and chipset have been proven thru the years, and a comment like this does not stand for anything but hogwash.
 
Originally posted by Zardoz
In my experience, Intel can have problems just as AMD, or anybody else for that matter. Your comment "Intel for stability" does not help in anyway as he can still have problems even if he did switch. AMD cpus and chipset have been proven thru the years, and a comment like this does not stand for anything but hogwash.

Good lord would you read the thread so you don't perpetuate the stupid fights.

He said amongst Pentium 4 motherboards, Intel were the most stable, which is generally true. Will you have trouble with others? Probably not, my Abit is fine, but Intels are rock solid. Just don't plan any overclocking with them.
 
Originally posted by ciggy50
just goes to show you that post count is in no way a reflection of wisdom , experience or in this case , age:rolleyes:
a) College students are not particularly young
b) what did he say that you are considering to be "immature"?
 
I wish scientists would get the human genome properly mapped soon, so that we can determine the genes responsible for trolls and eliminate them...seriously, there are so many of them. You say that post count is in no way indicative of wisdom, experience, or age...but you feel that age is? Hey, guess what: you're a hypocritical idiot, you've contributed nothing to this thread except flamebait, and you should press the little x at the top right of your screen. From now on, whenever you get the urge to post something as stupid as what you just did...just press the x. It will benefit society as a whole eventually.

As per your problem, I don't think it's necessary to RMA the CPU in addition to the RAM and the Mobo. If you've gone through that many sticks of RAM, true, that does sound like a problem with the mobo...but you haven't really shown any reason to believe that there's anything wrong with the CPU.

If I were you, I'd RMA just the mobo...chances are, the RAM you have is good, and it's just the mobo that sucks.
 
Originally posted by ciggy50
just goes to show you that post count is in no way a reflection of wisdom , experience or in this case , age:rolleyes:

Right. That job happens to be as a software engineer for the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). I'm recoding Fortran 77 models of Actinic Flux and Photospectroscipy for a project that will be flying on a NASA B-57 this summer, and for a project that is currently in operation on the polar ice-cap in Greenland (http://summit.unh.edu/ , our guy there is Barry Lefer).

Have a nice day ;)
 
Back
Top