• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I am done with BFG...

bubsie

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
148
So I read on this forum some positive and some not so positive stories about BFG’s lifetime warranty on its video card products so I figured I would just share my ongoing RMA story. I purchase a BFG FX5900 from Fry’s sometime ago (my first mistake.) It was a great deal at the time at $200 w/o rebates. So I installed it and everything was happy until last October. The card started to show some weird artifacts on screen so I figured I just RMA it and get a replacement. It went great, I shipped the card off and the replacement card came back UPS 2 day air. I was thinking to myself at the time, “BFG is awesome; every company should have a RMA policy like theirs.” My second mistake was not installing it right away and making sure it was a working card.

Couple months went by and I decided it might be time for me to get off my lazy ass and install the replacement FX5900. So after I switched the cards and fired up CoD 2, to my surprise, this replacement got worse framerates then my temporary GeForce TI-4200 card at the same setting and there were artifacts all over. I figure no biggie, maybe this card slipped through BFG’s QA dept. and I didn’t expect a problem RMAing the replacement since the first time went so smooth. I called them up and requested a RMA number, shipped off the card and it got there in 2 days (01/11/06.) I was like, “great, they will probably ship my 2nd replacement card by the end of the week since they claim their in-house turn around time is 2 days.” So I waited patiently for UPS to show up with my 2nd replacement card. A week went by and still nada. I wasn’t worry about it since I didn’t expect them to ship it 2 day air like they did last time but I was just curious if they had a tracking number available for me to check on the status. I emailed their RMA dept but since I didn’t have my RMA # at the time, I gave them my shipping info and hoped that they can dig up the info for me. They emailed me back 2 days later with a tracking number and when I checked the UPS site, it said it was delivered. I was like, wtf? I clicked on the details button and saw that it was delivered, but to the wrong city. I’m now thinking, “okay, maybe they sent the wrong tracking info since I didn’t give them my RMA # in the original email.” So I dug through the pile of crap in drawer and found the RMA #. I called their toll free number and was put on hold for 40+ mins and got disconnected. I tried again and the same thing happened, I was on hold listening to the music they played and after about 40+ mins, I got disconnected.

Now I’m a little p.oed but whatever, it was the weekend and they probably had a skeleton crew working. I tried again the next day (Sunday) and the same crap happened, but it was only a lil over 30 mins this time before I was disconnected. I tried again and after about 20 or so mins, I finally spoke to a live CSR. He said that he couldn’t find any record of receiving the card so I gave him my delivery confirmation number so he can check for himself with the USPS site that it was indeed delivered on the 11th. He told me that he would have to check with the warehouse dept but since it was Sunday, no one was there and they would contact me when they have the info.

Couple of days went by and still no word so I called them again (01/25/06) at 8 in the morning (I started to keep a log on the time and what I was told.) I waited only 15 mins before a CSR (same guy) came online and helped me out. I gave him my info and he put me on hold while he checked with the warehouse dept to see if they had any idea. Another 15 mins waiting and he came back saying that the person in the warehouse dept that would know is not available and asked for my phone number so he can contact me once he finds out the status. I gave him my number and 2 and half hours later, he called to let me know that the warehouse person had no idea where the tracking info is on the replacement card they sent. I asked what am I suppose to do now and he was nice enough to say that they will send another card out. I asked if it be possible for me to pay for the shipping to get it upgraded to UPS next day air and he told me not to worry about and that they will try and expedite the shipping. I also asked if they can send me an email with the tracking number once they have it shipped and he told me that they usually don’t and UPS will send me a notification when they scan the package and was told that info should be available by Friday from UPS. I was like,” how nice of them to do that.”

So I waited and nothing came in the email or UPS. So it’s now today, one week after I spoke to BFG the second time. I decided to call again and ask for status update. Called at 10:12AM and was put on hold for about 22 mins. Same guy answer the call (is this the only person in the RMA dept.?) I gave him my info and was put on hold while he checks with the warehouse dept. After 13 mins, he came back and said was still checking, another 11 mins and was told the warehouse person shipped it on the 25th or was suppose to anyway. I was put on hold one last time for about 8 mins and the CSR come back and they can’t find the tracking record and they will ship it out with next day or at least faster than normal method. It was at this point when I just had about enough and let slipped a stupid comment “about not holding my breathe waiting for it to show up and I will probably end up again calling next week.” Once I said that, I felt bad at myself for directing a comment like towards him and I quickly apologized to him. It’s just that I was frustrated at this point with BFG and the only point of contact to BFG was through this CSR. I’ve been in his place in previous jobs and should’ve known better.

Anyways, hopefully the card will be here this weekend or early next week cos I am really sick of listening to the listening music BFG plays. And I realize that the FX5900 might not be their latest flagship card but I feel like maybe BFG is not concern about this RMA as it would if this was a say 7800GTX. Of course I might/probably am wrong about that statement but that’s just my thoughts at the moment. I will update this when/if I get my card. If it works great, if not, I’m going to bring it the range and unload a couple of rounds into it with my trusty ppk-s. Either way, I am done with buy or recommending BFG products from now on. If any representative from BFG or people who know people from BFG would like to comment on this, feel free to do so. Perhaps they can provide another side to this story rather than just my side since it’s hard to be subjective from my point of view.

I am sorry for wasting 10 mins of whoever’s life that’s reading this long boring post.
 
Threads like this make me feel special that I never had any problems RMAing my BFG card, all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

Sorry to hear about all the problems, maybe they'll give in and sent you a 7800GT by "mistake." lol
 
i RMA'd a BFG Ti4200 AGP 8x (the nice one with the front and back copper colored cooler that cooled the memory too)

took them a month to send back what you would expect if you bought a OEM Ti4200 with this little dinky tiny square cooler that looks like it should be on a motherboard northbridge, nothing on the memory......yes, its an older card, but that doesnt mean i expected less quality or to be without for a month :(
 
bubsie said:
I am sorry for wasting 10 mins of whoever’s life that’s reading this long boring post.

No waste at all. We need these sorts of personal accounts with customer service. I think it may be time for [H] to consider stopping the recommendation of BFG products in their reviews unless that has already taken effect.

Perhaps it's XFX's time to shine.
 
phide said:
No waste at all. We need these sorts of personal accounts with customer service. I think it may be time for [H] to consider stopping the recommendation of BFG products in their reviews unless that has already taken effect.

Perhaps it's XFX's time to shine.

wow dude, you read my mind, i was just gonna say i had to RMA my XFX 6600gt (what replaced the ti4200) and it only took a week to get it, and it was the same exact model, as it should be
 
I dunno what problems you have, but bfg is great. My friend recently rma'd a 6800ultra and they sent a 7800gt in its place. It only took about 2 weeks. Maybe they just dont like you.....

Im sorry but, you cant beat a lifetime warranty that doesnt require a reciept.
 
heh, sorry to hear your troubles man, that just sucks

i had a goofy time with leadtek rma....first the site i ordered the card from ti 4200 64mb, they sent me a ti4600 128mb with vivo.....now that isnt a bad upghrade for 50something bux total....well it was DOA, and the vendor told me to eat it basically....they got a nice bad review...

first time i power on sys w/ card in it, no display, tried 3 diff pc's...same...rma

i pay for shipping to them...then leadtek rma, sent the identical card back to me TWICE! saying its repaired....and i had to pay to ship it to them both times....after callin and complaining, they advance replaced it to me...brand neww ti4600 vivo, sweet...and they paid for the shipping back the last time....all in all i was out about 80something bux in the end....which is a hell of a deal for that card...

but in the end RMA is a pain in the ass sometimes....good luck to you, hope things turn out good for ya
 
I'm having a hard time reasoning why you didn't test the card right away, when I RMAed my 5700U the day I got the replacement I was right about to head out to hang out with a friend when the UPS truck drove up and dropped the package off. I stayed home testing the card to make sure everything was fine before heading out. It just seems pretty stupid to let an RMA card sit around for a whole month before even testing it to see if it was DOA or not. You kind of wished this on yourself man.
 
phide said:
No waste at all. We need these sorts of personal accounts with customer service. I think it may be time for [H] to consider stopping the recommendation of BFG products in their reviews unless that has already taken effect.

Perhaps it's XFX's time to shine.

I couldn't disagree more. My bfg card unlocked and overclocked like a dream. It was at my house in 2 days, after choosing ups ground 5 day shiping.
 
has anybody bought a bfg card and not had to do an rma?? are that many cards really defective?? :confused:
 
Mkay, my 7800GTX OC BFG is still chirping along with nary a problem.

And never, EVER ship important stuff via USPS, your just asking for it.
 
Wow they were quick about my RMA, althought I had winter break, homework, and finals, I still havent had a chance to send it. I should call them and see if I can stil RMA. That sucks about the trouble, hopefully everything works out...
 
phide said:
No waste at all. We need these sorts of personal accounts with customer service. I think it may be time for [H] to consider stopping the recommendation of BFG products in their reviews unless that has already taken effect.

Perhaps it's XFX's time to shine.

or leadtek...they still OC their cards nicely too...
 
Retsam said:
Im sorry but, you cant beat a lifetime warranty that doesnt require a reciept.


nuff said on that,
i personally have never had bfg, mainly asus and evga here, never had any problems rma'ing. At work i rma alot of stuff too, ram lots and lots of hdd's and mobos
always been lucky.

i will say though, considering you went months without even testing the card you can return it.

thats awesome
 
Heh it just seems that way. You should see all the other company rmas. Ive owned 4 bfg cards, never had to rma any of them.

Most of the rmas come from tards who oc their video cards. Then later down the line start getting artifacts.

trek554 said:
has anybody bought a bfg card and not had to do an rma?? are that many cards really defective?? :confused:
 
Retsam said:
I dunno what problems you have, but bfg is great. My friend recently rma'd a 6800ultra and they sent a 7800gt in its place. It only took about 2 weeks. Maybe they just dont like you.....

Im sorry but, you cant beat a lifetime warranty that doesnt require a reciept.

they probably give preferrential treatment to those that appear to have bought another card and spent more $$ instead of asking for them to make good on their "lifetime warranty" on a 3-4 year old card

and btw, yes, you can do better than BFG's no receipt warranty, eVga's no receipt lifetime warranty that even allows you to get it replaced free resulting from a bad card BIOS flash or because you overclocked it to hell and back and let the smoke out, heck, their forums even tell you how to remove the heatsink, how to flash a new BIOS to the card, and how the GPU clock speeds work and practically encourage overclocking and tweaking

and you can tell them the truth, sure you can get it replaced by BFG or XFX if you overclocked it to far, they can't prove it, but you have to be deceitful and dishonest, i like a company that lets me be honest and tweak my card as far as i care to and still replace it for free, now that nobody can beat, not yet anyways
 
You can add me to the list of BFG nay-sayers. I got a 6800oc and for some reason the thing artifacted in all 3d applications and would randomly cause BSODs. I sent it back to BFG via RMA and the 6800oc I got for them worked great for about 10 minutes. I started up BF2 and everything was loading up great until there was a 3d image. Thats when things went really wrong. I heard a loud SNAP and saw a small ploom of black smoke comming off the video card. I immediately pulled the power cord from the back of the PC and inspected the vid card. Surely enough, a small chip near the molex power connector had fried to a crisp. I contacted BFG and RMAed that card off. The card I got back from BFG worked great for about a week and it started artifacting like crazy even in BIOS. It was then that I figured screw it and the card has been sitting in the junk drawer ever since. I went back to my 9800pro and had no problems at all. Now I've got a nice XFX 6800gs and it works like a dream.
 
nobody_here said:
they probably give preferrential treatment to those that appear to have bought another card and spent more $$ instead of asking for them to make good on their "lifetime warranty" on a 3-4 year old card
My card is a 5700U that I bought from a member here a while back, I told them as much and they said it was okay and I got a replacement in three days. The card wasn't DOA or anything like that, it ran just as well as the first one did. Mind you this was right before the 7800GTX was released. If thats was preferrential treatment then I'm quite suprised.
 
autobot said:
You can add me to the list of BFG nay-sayers. I got a 6800oc and for some reason the thing artifacted in all 3d applications and would randomly cause BSODs. I sent it back to BFG via RMA and the 6800oc I got for them worked great for about 10 minutes. I started up BF2 and everything was loading up great until there was a 3d image. Thats when things went really wrong. I heard a loud SNAP and saw a small ploom of black smoke comming off the video card. I immediately pulled the power cord from the back of the PC and inspected the vid card. Surely enough, a small chip near the molex power connector had fried to a crisp. I contacted BFG and RMAed that card off. The card I got back from BFG worked great for about a week and it started artifacting like crazy even in BIOS. It was then that I figured screw it and the card has been sitting in the junk drawer ever since. I went back to my 9800pro and had no problems at all. Now I've got a nice XFX 6800gs and it works like a dream.

Id be more than happy to buy that OC off of you. I massaged mine out and it runs great. If there is an issue with the card I will send it back and get another one until things are right. Sometimes a little patience is rewarded. PM me if you are serious about it sitting in a drawer.
 
Hexus0 said:
Wow they were quick about my RMA, althought I had winter break, homework, and finals, I still havent had a chance to send it. I should call them and see if I can stil RMA. That sucks about the trouble, hopefully everything works out...

Sorry, off topic, but I wanted to comment on this. I had an EVGA 6800GT that kicked the bucket on me right before finals and I RMA'd it, so since it was holiday season it took a little longer getting back to me. Being without my video card during finals week is the best thing thats ever happend to my grades :D.
 
M1ster_R0gers said:
Id be more than happy to buy that OC off of you. I massaged mine out and it runs great. If there is an issue with the card I will send it back and get another one until things are right. Sometimes a little patience is rewarded. PM me if you are serious about it sitting in a drawer.
thats fine if you have a spare card laying around but most of us have one decent machine and like for it work. ther is only so much patience one can have. i could have had a bfg card for cheaper than mine but i passed and paid a little more. they just seem too sketchy as a company right now
 
I have a DOA BFG 7800GTX 512mb card. Bought 2, one works, the other won't POST by itself much less with the other, in either slot. Can't see any missing capacitors or whatnot and the fan spins up though. RMA is my only choice as it can't be returned to the store. But with the possibility of BFG losing my card and the fact that these cards are in high demand it looks like I either have a very expensive paper weight or nothing for a long time. I'll RMA it soon and just wait anyways, as seeing it sitting on my desk useless annoys me to hell.
 
Im running both BFG 7800GT and eVGA 7800GT. No problems with both cards here m8. The BFG tends to run hotter than the eVGA which I find kind of odd but still it runs great.
 
trek554 said:
has anybody bought a bfg card and not had to do an rma?? are that many cards really defective?? :confused:

6600GT for over a year, and it's just like new.
 
Tanky said:
6600GT for over a year, and it's just like new.
I got my card used, he had used it for a year or so and I used it for alittle over a year before artifacting started popping up although thats probably my fault since I was running the system without a case at the time so maybe it got damaged my the enviroment of my room/ being close to an open window during the summertime.
 
Back
Top