• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I am disappointed

Frank4d

Gawd
Joined
Oct 29, 2005
Messages
715
My PC is 4 feet from my bed and runs 24/7 so I hoped for more quiet. I already have an Antec Sonata case and Gigabyte CPU cooler and both fans are controlled by a Vantec NXP-305. My CPU and case temps are 39C and 37C (up to 44C and 47C under heavy load) which is OK... I just wanted queter. So I bought a Vantec Stealth 120mm fan (Fry's was all out of Silverstones).

I replaced the stock Antec fan with the Vantec Stealth... but no difference in temps or quietness. I figured since I have two 120mm fans I might as well add a front case fan. Only that was louder and only reduced my temps by about 1C... not worth the aggravation so I removed it.

I guess I will mod my son's desk tomorrow since I have an extra 120mm fan. He has a AMD 64 3000 box sitting inside the base of his desk with a door that is closed. It gets a little warm so we will see what a cooling fan desk mod does for it.
 
What kind of power supply is in that system? There are many out there that are fairly loud.
 
I did a mod a couple of months ago where I put rubber washers between the PSU mounting screws and my Antec case, and put foam tape between the PSU and all other points where it can touch the case. No PSU fan vibration or transformer hum... my power supply is dead quiet. Now if I could get rid of the case fan noise....
 
So basically you're looking for a quiet case fan?

The Stealths are not the best in that respect, but I think they will be acceptable after the 7V mod. (Do a google or a search for it).

Also, the desk fan mod is a good idea.
 
I tried the 7V mod before I bought a fan controller because the 7V mod wasn't quiet enough. And the fan controller is quieter but can turn the fan voltage down so low that the fans sometimes don't restart when I boot the system.

How quiet are water cooled systems compared to quiet fan cooled systems? Or maybe I am asking too much for a system to be completely f*ing silent. :(
 
Talonz said:
The Stealths are not the best in that respect, but I think they will be acceptable after the 7V mod. (Do a google or a search for it).
Ditto, the dual-ball bearing design means it is naturally noisy. No getting around that. Longevity will be pretty good though.
 
Frank4d said:
I tried the 7V mod before I bought a fan controller because the 7V mod wasn't quiet enough. And the fan controller is quieter but can turn the fan voltage down so low that the fans sometimes don't restart when I boot the system.

How quiet are water cooled systems compared to quiet fan cooled systems? Or maybe I am asking too much for a system to be completely f*ing silent. :(

Most water cooling systems also use fans. You could look into the Zalman Reserator for a passive solution that generates almost no noise (except for the pump). If you're just looking to get rid of the case fan noise, just buy better case fans. I suggest going to:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=a69b94059a5809e72504ca02ddc92680

Look into the slow version of the Yate-Loon 120mm.
 
Back
Top