I am confused - 7.1 w/HDMI

only1brian

Limp Gawd
Err, excuse me for my lack of knowledge, I hope these aren't dumb/confusing questions.

I just acquired a Samsung 7.1 system (http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/samsung-ht-as730st/4505-6740_7-33573283.html)

Im currently using a sff pc with a video card that supports hdmi. Ive connected a HDMI cable from that video card into the receiver's input.
From what it seems (after looking at sound settings on the pc) is that where ever the sound is being processed from, it does not support 5.1 or 7.1. (I cant hear any sound from the back speakers, sound just from center bar, bass, and faintly front left and right)

My question is: Since HDMI supports video and sound; the sound I currently hear is processing from the video card or onboard?

The video card is passing through the soundtrack from your source material (movie) to your receiver, it'd be up to your receiver to upmix stereo to surround, 5.1 to 7.1 etc.

Is your source material in surround? If it is and your samsung system is setup correctly you should get rear sound.

Good question. Ill have to put on some material that I know is surround.

But even if the material wasn't surround, shouldnt I still hear something? Even if I had music?

You'd hear your front two channels, unless you tell your samsung receiver to upmix it to all speakers.

Back