• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I am an idiot.

puppyfriend

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
119
So my new Seasonic Tornado started making this noise like the fan was hitting something. I decided to open it up to bend the thing it was hitting out of the way. I go to plug it in without the cover on. Problem is the cover is an intergral part of the structure. The PSU case flexes a bit and the solder tab of the power connector contacts one of the big heatsinks. BANG!!!!!!!!! I hear something wiz by my ear and hit the wall. Result. A piece of the heatsink is vaporized and I'm missing a cap. I'm assuming it blew and that's what hit the wall. I still haven't found it yet. Needless to say, the PSU is toast. At least I was able to salvage a noisy 120mm fan.
 
if it makes you feel any better


but yeah, that sucks :(

'least ya didn't get shocked bad :)
 
That was good for a laugh. Glad you are still ticking along though.
 
Topher said:
if it makes you feel any better


LOL considering the adopted title of this thread, an allowable link :p
but employ it with the same care elsewhere ;)

glad your OK and since you didnt say it also took the board Im guessing everything else survived or wasnt connected
many heatsink are "live" and its always a good idea to bolt it all backup before any testing unless your able to look at the various components and determine what your dealing with (or test for current)

better luck next time ;)
 
i had the same thing happen to me with a seasonic tornado. it was my own damn fault cause i was working with the supply while i was tired and the cover was off. had been plugging and unplugging the power cable and the last time i plugged it in, there was enough flex that the ac side touched the heatsink - big spark sure woke me up quickly! at first i thought it was just the fuse, as that did blow. unfortunately it blew after power traveled through the whole supply so it was junk. my situation is total user error, but the ac side is still pretty close to the heatsinks. maybe seasonic should consider glueing one of those thin pieces of clear plastic on the ac side so this would never be a problem
 
Good point about putting it back together before applying power. I couldn't find where the fan was hitting so I wanted to power it up to make sure it wasn't just a bad fan.

It must have been my unconcious working so that I would have a good excuse to buy the OCZ Modstream that's on sale for $59.
 
Just a harmless flash movie, as far as I'm concerned. Don't play too loud or else people will wonder what you're looking at ;)
 
_Korruption_ said:
Just a harmless flash movie, as far as I'm concerned. Don't play too loud or else people will wonder what you're looking at ;)

I thought that is what it was supposed to be, maybe he will come back and explain his comment.
 
well I get to click various links in here all day
that one didnt bring up any alerts off NOD32, Process Guard didnt kick on and say any new process launched or that a currnet process was attempting to take over another process
my registry monitor didnt go off, TDS-3 just scanned clean when I restarted, I dont know what to say

maybe its an IE thang :p
 
I must be special :)

Message from F-Secure Anti-Virus on 5/2/2005 2:43:11 PM

Malicious code found in file C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ARWHITS\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\MCHN1BJC\YOU[1].HTML.
Infection: Trojan.JS.Offiz
Action: The file was deleted.
 
Symantec found zippo in my temp files. Might you have been fornicating with a dirty computer? ;)
 
actually we had similar issues before,
lastime only NOD32 was detecting, everyone with it started showing temp file infections
they where unable to progress further lacking the specific enterance for the exploit

Im taking that offline for now
recommend anyone who clicked it to clear your tempfile and do a remote scan ;)
 
well there could be several things it needs to do for a sucessful infection
it might be only exploiting the browser in the first place and then needing an unpatched OS or ap to get further than the tempfile.

"winners" in malware are fairly reare (widespread infection) generally lacking in one area or another in their lifescycle

Im researching that trojan ;)
 
Ice Czar said:
well there could be several things it needs to do for a sucessful infection
it might be only exploiting the browser in the first place and then needing an unpatched OS or ap to get further than the tempfile.

"winners" in malware are fairly reare (widespread infection) generally lacking in one area or another in their lifescycle

Im researching that trojan ;)

If that i the case I doubt it will do much to the Solaris/Firefox combo on this end.
 
MEfreak said:
I must be special :)

Message from F-Secure Anti-Virus on 5/2/2005 2:43:11 PM

Malicious code found in file C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ARWHITS\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\MCHN1BJC\YOU[1].HTML.
Infection: Trojan.JS.Offiz
Action: The file was deleted.


well this isnt very malicious :p
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/js.offiz.html
JS.Offiz is a .html file that utilizes JavaScript to open a .swf file and traps the Alt, F4, Ctrl, and Del keys.:p

it didnt effect my Firefox install at all
since Im using both Symantecs noscript.exe as well as AnaloqX's Script Defender (both freeware) it didnt take, as javascripts where simply unavailable


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Technical Details
When JS.Offiz is executed, it performs the following actions:

1. Opens a specified .swf file, which moves around the screen.

2. Traps the Alt, F4, Ctrl, and Del keys so that the user can not close the browser using standard keyboard commands.

3. When any of these keys are pressed, the script will generate the following message:

js.offiz.1.gif


4. If the user closes the browser using the mouse, the script will open six other browsers with the same characteristics.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


I had no problem closing the browser window with my mouse and had no further popups
Ctrl Alt Del worked without a hitch as well
so for your entertainment I present this badassed malware link once again :p
download noscript.exe if your concerned, but even disabling noscript and scriptdefender it didnt "work" in Firefox

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html
 
Ok good to know. Guess I will go find it but it doesn't seem to run on Solaris.
 
I apologize for not being more clear in my first post. I was only supporting the claim that the file had triggered an AV alert, not that the file itself was malicious (should have visited google before posting ;) ).

But it's good to know that my work computer isn't going to crash and burn :D
 
Back
Top